Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arioch

ATI "next-gen" card due out tomorrow

Well if i remember, GF4 was like 500 dollars when it was released...so maybe 500 dollars?

Goat said:

Well if i remember, GF4 was like 500 dollars when it was released...so maybe 500 dollars?

ATi has said $399, see here for more info ;)

Not exactly Doom related but go here and here for the R300 (9700) info.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1656&p=1

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/02q3/020718/radeon9700-12.html

EDIT- I just realised that LordFlatHead has posted these same links in the Technology forum, mods, feel free to delete this post.

The R9000 will be released, but that's more of a $100US, true cheap DX8 solution, slightly worse than a 8500 in benchmarks.

And for those of you that are wondering whether a 128MB card will be necessary, Doom3 will use at least 80MB of textures.

Extract from anand's article about the R9700.

Did Id Software mention it in any interview ? Or did Anand have acces to non public information ?

64MB will not be necessary, for the simple fact that id is supporting the GeForce 1 and there aren't any 64MB GeForce1 cards that I'm aware of. With all the detail up and everything though, Doom III probably will require oodles of video RAM to keep track of the half-dozen textures they're using on each surface.

tech forum (now its strating to get ridiculous isnt it?)

someone said the video was running at medium detail at a super high resolution- is that true?

Xian said:

someone said the video was running at medium detail at a super high resolution- is that true?

the shackycam vid was running in medium detail, I don't know about the resolution, but would it really matter? wasn't the video played through a projector? Just a guess.

According to PC Gamer UK, the presentation was running at 1280x1024. John Carmack said something about anisotropic filtering and stuff not being on, but to call that "medium quality" seems odd to me.

well youd think the polygon counts would be a lot higher than the video by the time the game releases, quake 3 had some better curves!

If I recall correctly, there were some issues with running Doom 3 at high detail, and they were resolved the day it was going to be shown at E3, but they didn't have time to test it out, so they ran it at medium detail just to be safe.

Livo said:

If I recall correctly, there were some issues with running Doom 3 at high detail, and they were resolved the day it was going to be shown at E3, but they didn't have time to test it out, so they ran it at medium detail just to be safe.

yes, i read that also.

Athlon XP2100+
1GB PC2100 RAM
Chaintech Apogee mobo
GF4 Ti4600

If that doesn't run it at at least 1024x768 I'm going to be pissed...

RRROOOAAARRR said:

Athlon XP2100+
1GB PC2100 RAM
Chaintech Apogee mobo
GF4 Ti4600

If that doesn't run it at at least 1024x768 I'm going to be pissed...

Now:

P4 1.7 (WILLAMETTE 423)
256 MB RDRAM PC 800
Asus P4T-F mobo
GF4 Ti4600

I'll probably upgrade again when doomsday arrives :P

ROOOOOOARR or whatever your name is:
You're going to be sadly disappointed. The Ti4600 is a fast card, but like all Geforces it eats shit when you turn on eye candy. Sure it'll run it at 1024x768, and very nicely at that. But not at maximum detail. (Note that I'm including FSAA and anisotropic filtering in this, because there's just no reason to play without them if you're going for image quality.)

Flathead, there were quite a few 64MB Geforce 1 cards. Go check your information again.

I'm not interested in FSAA at all actually, I hate the 'blurred' feel it gives ( IMO )...I'd rather just up the screen res.

:-)