Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Arioch

New Doom QuakeCon Footage

The new Doom footage from QuakeCon that is being distributed on the October issue of the GameStar magazine CD supplement has hit the net today, and although the original download location over at Doom Center is currently disabled due to legal concerns, quite a few copies have made their way off of the original download link and are already floating around on various FTP servers and personal site mirrors, it being a meager 3 megs when compressed in DivX ;-) format. The video, which is dubbed in German, shows John Carmack speaking and then turning towards a display screen, on which is what apparently the pinky from the bathroom shot, moving in the shadows of a room lit by multiple fires.
Due to those same concerns, I'm not linking to a download for the video here. In the meantime, I direct you to our newest POTD.

The movie is rockin, a bit dark, but that is to be expected judging from previous Doom 3 releases. The pyrotechnics look great! Also, if you noticed a lot of the movements of the demon, and the destruction it does to world objects... I wonder if it will do that realtime and in-game, or if id scripted that stuff. Hopefully I'll be able to put the movie back up at Doom Center soon.

Since Carmack said there is no more difference between the world's internal representation and the objects one, I guess this is all realtime in game.

Yes, this is in-engine... but I think what bigd was asking about was whether the "Pinky" AI was in-place and if it was rampaging around via a search/hunting algorithm.

I'm pretty sure every scene in the QCon footage was scripted, as by all accounts they're still in the early stages of development and there's not much concrete gameplay ready yet, especially monster AI and the like (that and all the monsters did really was walk around aside from Pinky's dinner in the bathroom).

If you're concerned about legal problems with putting the video up, then why is a pic from the video suddenly legal? Go one way or the other. Either stick up the video, or remove the pic.

Why of all fucking things does that... Thing have to be called Pinky... why couldn't they called it a Fiend... or a Mancubus... or Bill Clinton or something evil.
The animal I associate with the name Pinky is a mouse.

Why of all things does that... creature have to be called Pinky... why couldn't they call it a Fiend... or a Mancubus... or Bill Clinton or something evil.
The animal I associate with the name Pinky is a mouse.
<font size=1><samp>I'm so pedantic I made an edited version... fuck I'm lost.</samp></font>

Wow, 25 seconds, let's celebrate. I thought by all your reactions under the POTD thread and here in this thread that I was gonna see at least a minute. Considering it's DivX I can think of no reason why it could'nt be longer (I mean, ca n you believe a load of people just settling down in a room to see just 25 seconds of footage?! I THINK NOT).

Either the video that I downloaded is the full thing as captured (doubtful considering DoomCenter's recent 40 meg MP3 announcement of Carmack's speech) or more likely the source is holding out on us.

I dont like that. Sure the thing's which I seen perked my interest, but not to the point of "WOW! LOOK AT THAT! IVE SEEN MORE UNREAL 2 SHOTS WITH BETTER LOOKS THAN THAT!!! I CAN HARDLY BELIEVE MY EYES!!!!!"

Sarcasm off.

I can bet that most of you who see this message will try to protect what little footage this is just because it's a scraping of the new Doom but that's just pathetic really.

Crispy: how can you think this is the greatest thing? I'm pretty well..... &gt;:(

Dont like what I say? Tough. Live with it.

Guest nintsu

*Shrug*

You take things too seriously.

I agree with him, the video kind of sucked. It wasn't even a whole 25 seconds or whatever... it was more like 15 seconds. What a dumb ass video, you can't even see demon.

Guest cocoon

Some ppl are just never happy and I can say that I'm very happy I got to see anything at all.

What you were saying reminds me of something, Sir Frags...

When my family, except for me (I wasn't interested) went to the (at the time) new Fox Studios in sydney, when they went inside my dad took a couple seconds of footage of the Aliens exhibit (life size Alien Queen and cargo loader :). Then some employee stopped him. He could take all the damn pics he liked, but no video footage. Pretty illogical.

Guest destrus

Scragadelic: "Pinky" is a nickname. The creature is a demon (i.e. the PINK thing from Doom and Doom II).

It's not that I'm never happy. That is just not the case at all. Compared to the February 22nd GeForce on the Mac video this is horsecrap.

My main reason of complaint was the length:size ratio. 8 and a half minutes: 13 megs downloaded is better than 20 seconds: 3 megs downloaded is it not?

I'll wait til Id officially release something that's a little longer than what we have now. Besides, I'd be much happier with screenshots, look better and my 56k can happily chomp them all up :)

PINKY BEWARE OF MY MODEM! IT OWNS J00!!! lol

You know, I'd prefer that id not release ANYTHING about Doom 3. That way, we'd all have to go to the local store to see the box when it arrives.

Actually, I would've liked id to do what Westwood Studios did for Emperor: Battle for Dune. Don't announce ANYTHING until four months before release. That way, the wait feels shorter.

Yeah, also the less hype your are exposed too = the final product seems much better.

<pinky> what are we going to do tonight, baron?
<baron> same thing we do every night pinky, try to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!!

NOT THAT CARTOON

*FLASHBACK*

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I CANT TAKE THIS NO MORE!

AIEEEEEEEEEEE

* YicklePigeon jumps out a 10 storey window only to land on Arioch's sorry excuse for a head :D