Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

/idgames Closed Temporarily

Some of you have noticed that the CDROM.COM /idgames directory has been inaccessible for a little while now. Hirogen2 was kind enough to send along this short quote from a CDROM.COM rep explaining the situation:

We have a bandwidth need that required shutting off downloads that are not generating revenue.

Apparently the files will be accessible again on Monday, so we'll just have to wait and see.

*** Virginia mirrors.aol.com/pub/pc_games/doom/ ***
*** France ftp.fdn.fr/pub/games/idgames/ ***
*** Netherlands ftp.mirror.nl/pub/mirror/idgames/ ***
*** Poland ftp.task.gda.pl/pub/games/idgames/ ***
*** ftp.lublin.pl/pub/games/idgames/ ***
*** Sweden ftp.sunet.se/pub/pc/games/idgames/ ***
*** Finland ftp.clinet.fi/pub/games/idgames/ ***
*** Portugal ftp.netc.pt/pub/idgames/ (http) ***
*** Greece ftp.ntua.gr/pub/vendors/idgames/ ***
*** S. Africa ftp.is.co.za/games/id/ ***
*** morpheus.posix.co.za/pub/idgames/ ***
*** Australia ftp.planetmirror.com/pub/idgames/ (http) ***

Guest peroxyd2s

is it possible to find a "good soul"
to host and update those file for us ?
hehe.
it's a quite selfish thought, but i do not think it's safe to let it in the hands of a
"money-interested" society.
Even if they have kept the whole archive intact for years...

Wish there was a way to screen the files and only keep the good ones. (Of course, what's "good" is subjective.) It would take a long time and a lot of people, but at the end we'd have wads worthy of keeping. Then, even if cdrom.com decided to dump idgames from its archives, we wouldn't lose the gems.

Another option if cdrom.com takes idgames under is to assemble wads that people have collected. I probably have hundreds of wads that I can contribute. Again, the problem is who will archive the collection?

Guest peroxyd2s

I know some people that DLed the whole idgames archive and they keep to
update it with newer files. So it's not
lost...

ReX >
i agree there are hundreds of shits
among cdrom.com's wads :)
I got the whole archive from a friend (Anders Johnsen, if you know :) and i've started to test some random wads.... most of them sux,
making a list of the good ones would be a
good idea..

i agree that the quality of wads on cdrom can vary greatly, so here's an off the cuff idea....

the 'old stuff' feature seems to have dissappeared of late, so what about replacing it with 'vote stuff' (bad name i know, but it's just an idea). Each week DW could feature 5 to 10 old wads from cdrom and we all get to submit a grade (1 to 10) for each wad during that week. The final mean grade for each wad could then be added to a 'grades' page on DW. (We could posibly also grade wads in newstuff).

If we work through the archive, grading 10 wads a week, we might have a complete grades list by, say, the year 3000 ;-)

Actually, i havn't a clue how many wads are in the archive......

6540, I think, in just pub/doom/levels
that doesn't even include all the other subcategories... :)
There are a few thousand deathmatch wads, but all we really need are the top 100 or so... am I right or am I right?
Everyone has quirky favorites though...

Damn and I was hoping to get my latest wad in the newstuff chronicles so you lot could ignore it.

Guest cocoon

are there no good maps on cdrom.com or did I not understand what some of you meant?

cdrom.com is filled to the brim with awesome maps.. You just have to know their name in order to find them.

I agree, I have found hundreds of fine wads there, a few stinkers too but its a great place, not just for wads but for editors etc.

I believe what was being said was that of the thousands of wads on cdrom.com, most are worthless but many are excellent. If it was possible to identify the good ones and save them, then it wouldn't matter if cdrom.com shut down idgames.

And yes, cdrom.com has more than just maps -- graphics, sounds, tutorials, the lot.

Guest Virgil_

I agree with ReX somewhat, when I say that there's about 5-10 thousand maps there, and a good number of them are really good. And YES, you DO have to know the names of the good wads in order to avoid endlessly browsing through the rest of the wads.

For instance, dyst3.zip is a good wad, but I know it only 'coz I visited a site that had a link to it and said it was good. here are other wads I think are good:

earth.zip

galaxia.zip

phobos.zip

ma_sincity.zip

requiem.zip (THE best 'gem'; more like an emerald if you ask me)

mm.zip (the ol' coop/SP classic)

mm2.zip

kboom*.zip

kzdoom*.zip

eulogy*.zip

...and the list goes on and on. My point is this is isn't just about money and gettting 'revenue'. Those of us that are devoted doomers know that.

Virgil

Guest Virgil_

Lol. Sry :P Just that I'd probably overload this news topic if I posted ALL the names of wads I liked :) Ah, WTH, I guess I'll post the names of some of your maps as well. They're definitely worth playing.

phobia.zip (For the newest DOOM Legacy. One of those that is staying on my hard drive for a LOONG time.)

I also remember that map you submitted for the 10 sectors contest. Such a HUGE, flawless 3D bridge walkway (!!). I think it was one of the POTDs on DOOMWorld back then.

[b]Virgil]n

Guest Virgil_

AAHH, FROGGEN BAK BUTTON!!

Virgil

Guest vh5150

hasn't had much in the way of traffic anymore. If they had MORE Quake3, Unreal, UT and other games add-on files listed, then maybe they have get "revenue" but since then fileplanet and others were more viable and competitive than cdrom. Obviosly cdrom has to play catch up. That's why I never download from cdrom for this and several other reasons. Unfortunately fileplanet is going the same way as well as MGE and other html file servers. So I go to overseas ftp sites instead.

If they had more game files listed, they'd be paying even more in the way of bandwidth costs, and since they operate a FTP server, they don't get much in return, if anything. (Think volume of RTCW downloads)

If I were operating a business in this economy I'd think twice about hosting these large archives for free.

If they get revenue from people downloading why dont they let us link direct to the files without begging for permission?

I keep meaning to ask for permission but it feels like begging and its hard to word the request, like do I get permission to link to any files or just my own.