Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

ZDoom Ladder

Soviet sent word of a ZDoom One-on-One Ladder he's set up. From the looks of it, the ladder uses ZDoom 1.22 combined with DoomServ. If you've lamented the lack of clan/ladder action in the Doom community, here's your chance to challenge some people.

The old Doom2.exe aren't good enought than ZDoom.
ZDoom have mouse freelook, jumps.... There is nothing that Doom2.exe can do now with all sources ports.

i use doom2 on zone all the time, a bit laggy for me against ppl on southern US (better not go any farther off) but its great (and then again, it would be equally laggy using any other exe).. i think there could be informal competitions using doom2 as well, but players are spread out so not everyone can play with everyone; just post in in a forum or stick around on irc, or something, who knows, you might find willing opponents

You silly goose. Why does there always have to be some annoying geek around that provokes the hell outta people. Yes, I'm offended when you say 1.9 is outclassed by ports. If you had a half inch of a clue about playing Doom DM you'd know better. Mlook and jumping?? pfft...upgrade your 486 and get hold of quake rather, at least that game have a gameplay designed for such features. I don't even wanna repeat myselfe with the crap zdoom / ports does to doom gameplay, I've posted it a few times too many already. Bah.

You silly goose. Why does there always have to be some annoying geek around that provokes the hell outta people. Yes, I'm offended when you say 1.9 is better than ports.

DM in 1.9 is superior to that of zdoom. Ask any hardcore player. Don't open your trap when you've got no clue what you're talking about. Crawl back into your editor rather. Stating that there is nothing to 1.9 anymore is bollocks, thats what I said - not that it was in all ways superior to ports. It got some qualites the ports messed up, like it or not. For someone to cy "its got no mlook, no jumping" does annoy me, offended is a too strong/wrong word tho.

Ok, I do/did not intend to flame anyone here. If you like ports or doom(2).exe is IMO just a personal opinion. Nobody is "wrong" or "right" for what they like. With modifying your quote I just wanted to show that what you said about you prefering 1.9 can also be applied in exactly the same way by people prefering ports (did anybody understand that sentence? :)

Ok, I red your post wrong and apologize for responding in such a hostile matter. I guess part of why I get so easily annoyed by this port vs 1.9 thing is cus I was involved in the csdoom enviroment for some time. There are soo many arsses on that thing who spout bullshit about deathmatch in general and how zdoom affects the gameplay. You have a point with what you are saying - it does all come down to prefferences, but for someone to say that 1.9 is crap (hench X-Doom) sorta get to me when I've spent hours getting good at that thing, and from experience know that most of the "serious" players as far as one can be serious about Doom DM - prefer 1.9 Your point is a good one tho, and I should know better than to get involved in these sorta port-vs-1.9 threads :)

That's right. Zdoom isn't the best port I would prefer to use if it's for a regular Doom DM. Although Zdoom has additional features from out of Doom2.exe, its outcome of the game soundtracks, music, sensitivity of mouse behave differently, the quality of most of the ordinary doom features isn't as good as doom2.exe.

Wow, X-"Quake", I'm surprised that you say that the preference for your essential Dooming is has to use with mouselook/jumping. I suppose you have no clue what you're talking about in quote in the forum. "i'm unbeatable in deathmatch..." pfft, how do you convince people to believe any of this can be true?

The only reason I use zdoom to play Doom Dm generally, it's ony because Zdoom is the only reasonable and acceptable port to play Doom online. Also, I'm not used to the speed and the sensitivity of mouse. However, I most definitely assure, personally I would not ever use jumping/mouselook for a REAL DOOM game.

Nobody is "wrong" or "right" for what they like.

Yes, that's right. Everyone has his own perference for using whatever he feels like to use. Correct.

BUT DON'T FORGET, THIS IS DOOM, USING JUMPING OR MOUSELOOK IS """"WRONG""""

Anders: Crawl back into your editor rather

lol

Guest Pirx

there should be a 1.9 emulation mode in ports, with no mlook and jump. i'm using ports mainly for their graphic enhancements, but gameplay-wise i prefer sticking with old doom features. yeah i play some co-op with a friend and run oldschool routes, and suddenly he comes with all 3 keys cause he dared jumping...

I don't know how you set up your controls, but I still have to press a key to jump and switch on mouse look...

hum.. i truly don't get this, zdoom (and alot of other ports) have all features of 1.9 and them some... now how can then 1.9 be any better than zdoom???

truly randy style almoust everything different in zdoom can be switched off... no jumping, no mouselook (no fun ;) )

saw something about mouse differences - sure you can't set zdoom to be equal??

and then some shit about zdoom (and others) not beeing better then 1.9 in internet network games.. huh?? almoust certainly they are much better since the traffic is probably alot more optimized (tcp/ip versus ipx emultated thru tcp/ip), and when using the client-serverish ports you add client/server prediction and stuff like that - logically that would reasult in better play.

atleast the former legacy versions (dont remember about the latest) can play (and therefor sync) old doom 1.9 demos - that doesn't give much room for differences in gameplay....

finally... dont f**** rank the port by judging its users....

Guest Excalibur_Z

It's just different. There's no real comparison. Some things are the same but for the most part it's just different.

Wasn't the netcode in ZDoom significantly changed from 1.9? Was it ZDoom that used Quakeworld netcode, or was that just csDoom...? Anyway, a point about 1.9: I had 1.666 for the longest time - modem games wouldn't even work on that blasted version. So, I had to upgrade to 1.9. Now, 1.9 had some problems with netcode... no real way to tell how laggy it was since I was on a dialup connection at the time and I was always the host, but I can remember clearly two words:

Consistency failure.

Those damn consis errors plagued me through my Doom dialup days. It was awful. You had to save often (I played co-op like 90% of the time) because the other would get dropped after a random period of time. Later on when I had a direct cable connection going and after that an IPX network, those netcode problems were still bothering me. Players getting dropped, which forced us to load the savegame (which was always God-knows-how-far-back).

This is where I say Legacy and ZDoom and JDoom score a point above 1.9. I speak in favor of Legacy now - drop-in play. You don't lose your progress in a level, that's the key thing. And, it's so very rare for a player to get dropped in Legacy anyway. In 1.9 the netcode was so fragile... if the slightest thing happened Doom says "WHOA now, something was off by a little bit, better disconnect!"

So Anders, I don't know what kind of magically-enhanced 1.9 module you've been playing, but all I can remember from running 1.9 was the annoying disconnects that always happened at the worst times.

>need full update

another nice thing on zdaemon that does not let me play it. testenv: basedm #6, isdn 64kbit/s. when i have no dls, its fast enough. simply need full update, yeah!

best thing for netplay is legacy. oh yeah, tested in a tcp/ip lan. 5 players. in out. zdoom does also its job; not to mention rott which was only ipx :p had to hack our secured windowses to get ipx in them.

randy said he will copy the netcode from csdoom 2 zdoom one day (meaning ingame joining etc)

Guest Soviet

zdoom is ok , but doom2.exe ownz gameplay wise. since the netcode on 1.9 is ghey over the net zdoom is the only alternative.

More people peeking out their (dic*) heads, clinging to their 'one and only' source (doom(2), zdoom, ect) You know what, I don't give a flying duck about what you like, because in the end, 'I' have what I want, and all you freaks that try and 'change' others to like something just because you think it's 'the only one' are just like religions, starting up wars over something stupid, just because you have no balls to say 'I say I have what I want, and you can say what you have, and we can go our seprate ways'. :P If you can't agree, then agree to disagree, and thay the theatrical source waving to somewhere it actually matters (NOWHERE!).

...and on the note of the ladder, cool. :)

test-0, like you're not preaching now, let ppl bicker, they might be as bored as you :p

regular consistency failures in doom or doom2? bah, ok, use the executable you want, i won't punish you this time, so don't make up any more lies. oh, wait..

* doom remembers some people are incapable of checking if they're using the same wad versions as thier comrades/opponents

Doom? Doom = Raccoon = myk , hehe

Tarin: I don't know how you set up your controls, but I still have to press a key to jump and switch on mouse look...

For vanilla doom2.exe port, you need to customize your controls in the default.cfg. It needs to be opened with a notepad so you can arrange them with numbers. Basically, my controls are like this as it's shown by following:

mouse_sensitivity 9
sfx_volume 15
music_volume 15
show_messages 1
key_right 77
key_left 19
key_up 18
key_down 32
key_strafeleft 31
key_straferight 33
key_fire 29
key_use 57
key_strafe 79
key_speed 78
use_mouse 1
mouseb_fire 0
mouseb_strafe 1
mouseb_forward -1
use_joystick 0
joyb_fire 0
joyb_strafe 1
joyb_use 3
joyb_speed 2

X-Doom: Hey Anders Johnsen, the b0zz0 one, what's your problem with me ???

hey there andy isn't the only one has got a problem with your opinion/preference, because i'm also one huge anti-quaker too, epecially against mouselookers ;p