Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Julian

Doom The Movie

Rick Clark has updated his Doom Anthology with a fan-made DOOM movie script in PDF format: 161 pages of intense DOOM action. On a more personal note, Rick let us know he's in the process of moving, so he will be offline for an unknown, but hopefully short, period. If he doesn't answer emails it is because he doesn't have access to the internet.

I see Geocities is following it's tradition of having dead links...nothing new here. Would be some interesting reading material though !

Guest Rick Clark

I am on a 56k modem I can get to it, so it must be the traffic. Feel free to contact Jim McDougald (daewoo@telusplanet.net) and see if he will mirror it somewhere. Since it isn't my work, I don't feel it is appropriate for me to pass it around without his permission.

Guest Rick Clark

Geocities won't allow direct links to files. You'll have to go the Anthology page and then get the script. This is so they can get their advertising revenue I guess.

I've only read a short way in so far, but I can already see this guy has no clue about Phobos or Deimos. Spheres? Volcanic activity? Riiiiiiiight.

Imps? Baphomet? Hell? RIIIIIIIIIIGHTTTT..

Loosen up a bit you stiff.. It's a story.. Ever heard of that? it's not a documentation over Deimos and Phobos.. Use your damn imagination.

Guest wicked_crikkett

I heard about the movie idea awhile ago. I thought it would be cool if there was no dialogue (who do you talk to in doom?) and just insane violence and insanity involving one dude. Ahh, heaven, just like the game. I'd pay to see that. twice.

WK

Any moron can tell that Phobos and Deimos are chunks of rock. I'm not expecting an ultra accurate description of the surfaces, for christs sake.

You, my friend(?), are a moron.

I say base the first movie mostly on the first novel, then afterwards change the storyline COMPLETELY!!!! The novels just plain sucked after the first one.

Guest wicked_crikkett

Never read the novels. How could you novelise doom, and why would you bother? There are no other people in it, so what is the dialogue?
And thats the point, doom was great 'cause its you, 10 000 monsters and a whole lotta guns. Why not make a movie like that? There are a few really good movies out there with no dialogue (or very little) and they are very gripping/suspenseful. Why not? it would also keep the flavour of the game.
Incidentally mate, do you mind keeping your insults to yourself? Its uncalled for, and pointless.

Guest wicked_crikkett

Never read the novels. How could you novelise doom, and why would you bother? There are no other people in it, so what is the dialogue?
And thats the point, doom was great 'cause its you, 10 000 monsters and a whole lotta guns. Why not make a movie like that? There are a few really good movies out there with no dialogue (or very little) and they are very gripping/suspenseful. Why not? it would also keep the flavour of the game.
Incidentally mate, do you mind keeping your insults to yourself? Its uncalled for, and pointless.

Doom: The Movie would have to be made for a generic audience. ie. Those that have and haven't played the game.
Therefore I'd suggest pinching the essence of the game (alone, afraid, alien, hell, big guns...) and perhaps providing some backstory to colour it.
To that end the script appears to work.

It should however be quite a surreal affair and the best man for the job IMO died last year. Stanley Kubrick.

Aside from that Shinya Tsukamoto (Tetsuo, TetsuoII-Iron Man) should have a bash.

I thank you.

Just remember it's easy to say something sucks when you don't get off your butt and write your own. Now, there are parts I'm not happy with but I think it came out pretty well considering the restrictions with script format, length, and the utter lack of original story line to build from.

Oh, and if you want to get picky Phobos and Deimos are NOT conical chunks of rock. Not it reality. Why would they be? I mean, the story is already so preposterous why add to it? Besides, I wrote it, so I get to make it anyway I want to. You can go ahead and write yours any way you want.

Man, it's hard getting the hang of all the stupid rules in script format!

Video games just don't translate into movies that well. There are few exceptions.
For that matter movies don't translate too well into video games (Goldeneye et al excluded).

Doom is such a cinematic experience in itself that people think it should naturally do well as an 1.5 hour movie.
The fact is it pulls from several movie influences anyway.
Aliens, Evil Dead, Predator etc could all be classed as a Doom movie.

It works well as a video game.

To send it down the path of Dungeons and Dragons, Mario Brothers, Mortal Kombat would be to trivialise it and, to be frank, ruin it.