Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Arioch

Doom GBA Team Interviewed

Italian gaming site Nextgame.it has posted an interview they conducted with David Palmer and Mat Hopwood, the team behind the conversion of Commander Keen to the GBC and the upcoming conversion of Doom to the GBA. The interview, which is in english, can be found here, and some interesting tidbits are summarized here.

• It's a conversion of the Jaguar version of Doom, and uses the Jaguar Doom levels. As in Jaguar Doom, there is no cyberdemon or spider mastermind.
  • There is no single-cartridge multiplayer mode.
  • Multiplayer can be either cooperative or deathmatch, and while the Jaguar version supported only two players, Doom GBA supports up to four.
  • There are two rendering modes, with either static lighting (one uniform light level) or dynamic lighting, which should be more familiar to all of us. Static lighting speeds up the game significantly.
  • The music is the original Bobby Prince music from Doom.
  • With guidance from id and Activision, Doom GBA secured a Teen rating in the US.
The entire interview contains some additional detail.

Guest Ike654

I always did like the Jaguar version of Doom. I still play it every now and then. That and Tempest 2000. It had the best light-diminishing I'd seen on a consol (next to Doom64). That 24-bit color really helps.

Guest BazLorD

Hmm. GBA, I was sorta 50-50 On if I should get a GBA or not................
This Swings it, I'm buyin one as soon as Doom comes out here.

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET

Guest NunoC

holy shit, i've got this already! now, where did i put the jag?

Guest Nick

Wow doom with out the "doom" what an orginal concept. Now I'm 100 percent sure i want this game. Heck I think I'll buy 4 gba so all my friends can play! I mean its bad enough that they changed the blood to green but they screwed with everything that made doom a fun game.

Damn it. GBA is capable of better then this. It can actually do FMV. A Swedish hacker came into a console game store that a friend of mine works in and showed him FMV on a flash rom running on the GBA as well as an NES emulator. Unfortunately GBA has a little lower vertical resolution than NES/Famicom and SNES/SFC so you it has to scroll up and down in NES games like Castlevania/Demon Castle Dracula.