Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rchowrc

Editing Features, Editors, and ACS

I have a question I would like to ask. I like to use DeePsea v10.20c and WadAuthor v1.3. If a new version of a source port, say ZDoom, is released which includes new editing features, do I have to get new versions of the editors and the ACS compiler before I can use the features? For example, these editor versions are released long before slopes are being invented. Can I create slopes with them? Can editing features be created using scripts? Thanks for any help.

I'm pretty sure that you would have to get a newer version of an editor that lets you do the newest editing features for source ports.

You can go in and alter the config files for ZDoom for both DeePSea and WadAuthor to do all the advanced features (all they are is new line and thing types). There are config files available on the net, but I don't have links to them at the moment.

esayeek said:

afaik all the new zdoom features are doable with any 100% hexen compatible editor.

No. Only DeePsea and Zeth allow full EASY access to all the ZDOOM flags. Most people don't even know there are extra Sector and Linedef flags in ZDOOM:)) Fore example, the typical few extra specials thrown in barely touch the variety possible in Sector types - Dmg/5/10/20 + Secret + Icy + Wind. The number of extra combinations should be obvious.

rchowrc said:

do I have to get new versions of the editors and the ACS compiler before I can use the features?

You can edit the OPT files, although the new version of DeePsea has more categories making it easier (You can't just import the new DeePsea 11.65 OPT files, since there are new arguments added - that let you customize "text" for things displayed on the map, plus it has ZDOOM specific graphics - all set in the OPT file.)

You do need a new ACS compiler for ZDOOM 1.23b33 (either editor). I don't remember if the new DEEPACC will work with the older 10.20c. You can try. Otherwise you'll have to compile externally. You can also use the 11.65 shareware to compile and the use the register version to save the behavior when the level gets too large.

deep said:

No. Only DeePsea and Zeth allow full EASY access to all the ZDOOM flags.

who said life was supposed to be easy? ;)

The latest WadAuthor configuration file, zdoom.wcf, is available at zdoom.notgod.com, download, editing area. It has entries for all of the new goodies.

rchowrc said:

So, how do I edit the DeePsea OPT files to add new editing features?

With a text editor. Look in the Help file or use the BOOM.OPT file for instructions.