Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Arioch

/idgames Returns

The /idgames archives maintainer Ty Halderman has sent word kindly letting us know that the master Doom, Quake, and Unreal community archives are back up at a new location. Some of you may remember the old, venerable, and invaluable DoomGate resource. It became www.gamers.org in 1996, and formed an offshoot called www.3dgamers.com later on that year, which encompasses archives for a heady array of 3D games, including mirrors of /idgames from cdrom.com.
It is now our /idgames master server. Some of the mirroring sites of /idgames from cdrom.com have already switched over, and more are expected to follow.
Details on the new /idgames master server can be found in Ty Halderman's e-mail announcement here.

Fourth post!

I mean . . .

I am encouraged by this pleasant turn of events. *ahem*

Guest Matt

soap, and water
soap, and water
soap, and water
soap, and water

Guest Nash

This is indeed refreshing news. Looking forward to newstuff.

Guest Captain Napalm

Now I can upload that Doom2 level that has been burning a hole in my HD.

I had a feeling idgames might end up there. Many thanks to Frans and Ty for getting archives back quickly.

I tried uploading something, but it was taking forever. Even an 8k text file wasn't going through. Ah, well!

The only one of the three archives that is actively maintained is idgames/,
which contains user contributions for the games DOOM, DOOM II, Heretic,
Hexen and Strife. It is maintained by Ty Halderman.

Anyone else than me that see the irony here?

Wonderful,wonderful,wonderful news!Thanks to the magnificent Ty Halderman.
BUT should this be a lesson & a warning for the future?How safe is this site in the long term and should there be contingency plans?
In the meantime I've got a visit to make....

Guest Frans

BUT should this be a lesson & a warning for the future? How safe is this site in the long term and should there be contingency plans?
The lesson was that we were guests on a server we had no control over. That has changed now. The archives.3dgamers.com (a.k.a. the old DoomGate, indeed) has been around since 1994, and the other 3dgamers.com server since 1997. We own and maintain them ourselves, and we're here to stay :-)

And Adam is right, ftp://3darchives.in-span.net/ is the preferred download server. You can feel free to download from archives.3dgamers.com but you'll find it difficult to get in (and a bit slow) until we have more mirrors for the main 3dgamers.com site in place. That will happen later this month, and take the load off the master server.

And while speaking of Ty, let's not forget to thank Frans de Vries too.

Yep,fair's fair MANY MANY thanks Frans and thanks for the clarification.I am definitely not worthy.

It seems to phase in and out of "downloadability". It'll work for 5 minutes, then stop for another 5 minutes, so it seems.

Tried uploading again, and this time I was prompted for a login ID and password. (Better than yesterday, when it just wouldn't do anything.) I guess anonymous usage has not yet been incorporated. Ty did say it would be a while before everything was working smoothly, but I was just testing the system.

Guest Virgil_

WWWOOOHOOOOHOOHOOOOOOUUUUUU!!!!!

*Virgil is happy...*

Virgil

Whoo yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

* Much dancing in the streets, jubilation etc. A conga line is started and people drink lots and lots of spirits because they're so please.

Thanks, Ty and Frans! You both deserve to be immortalised for restoring this main branch of Dooming history.

* Metabolist salutes Ty and Frans