Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

Contest Time!

It's been quite a while since we've had a contest here at Doomworld, but here we go again! The nice folks at Activision have hooked us up with some free goodies -- namely, a Game Boy Advance system, along with some copies of Doom for GBA and Commander Keen for GBC -- and we're ready to pass them along to you, our loyal readers!
There's a catch, though -- while winning one of the free games requires nothing more than filling out a form, to qualify for the grand prize of the system plus a copy of each of the two games, you'll have to ace a little test we've put together for you. Don't worry, it's not too hard -- but you'll have to be up on your memory of classic Doom levels. Check it out!

Guest Matt

9/10 is easy.

10/10 is a little more difficult.

ling, can you post the results of everyone who says it's easy at the end? =) i'd like to know what the screenshots were taken in, too, the perspectives seem wack...can't replicate some of the views right in doom.exe or zdoom...

I think I got all of them :) ...but one of them is very difficult! Also, if you actually haven't Doom or Ultimate Doom at on your machine :(

Guest deathwarrior

except the blue key card, then i realised it can be on only one level. people, have a hard think about it. i looked through just about all of reg'd doom to find it.

I haven't played D1 in a while, so I had to spend over an hour looking through the maps, and even then I'm not sure about one of them.

I found the exact location of everything except the one with the 2 green textures. I had to guess, assuming that's nukage at the bottom. I have no way to increase the gamma on the gif right now.

I thought the crate one was a little unfair, since there's more than one level with crates scattered all over the hell, but I got lucky and found it immediately.

I would say the darkness of the pictures was unfair, but I guess that's all part of the challenge. One particular picture took me a long time because of an assumption I made about the brightness.

I bet a lot of people don't remember theres more than one cyber in D1. That would have been a good trick question-too bad.

Blue key one is not very hard imo. Maybe 3rd hardest.

They were all rather easy..

anyway.. WHY THE HELL CAN ONLY US RESIDENTS PARTICIPATE?

You have to fill in State: (wich we don't have any in sweden) and there's no field for Country:

Bah. Sucks

I entered anyway.. probasly wont win cause you probaly will remove all foreign entries. gah conspiracy.

Guest crazy.joe

Ebola, the last winner lived in Norway. Read the small print for the contest. If you win they'll get it to you. :)

Guest Matt

...not in this message.

[quote[/i] found the exact location of everything except the one with the 2 green texture<font size=1><samp>/quote]

Extremely easy one.

Guest Argh!

Um, am I the only one experiencing major Deja Vu over this contest? Didn't DoomWorld already run this exact same contest a while back for a different prize?! Heh, I even recall being annoyed at having to gamma-correct the same two pics to see enough details to place 'em! :&gt;

Who designed that page for the contest? It looks a lot better than the current design. Would be a shame to let it go to waste.

...to hav a GBA would be great... 8( ...I ever dreamd about having a colorfull display and nice games... nevertheless, I had to play "SuperMarioLand" on a scratched and damaged display with my 9 year old classic GameBoy... this is unbelievable... 8( ...perhaps I will win... and get... COLORs!!!! AND QUALITY!!! 8o...

I have a GBA, but the only game I have is Earthworm Jim :P I pre-ordered Doom for GBA, but I haven't been in the mood to go get it.

I have to say I'm amazed that you all think this is easy! Fugg if I know half of em! I thought I'd have no problem with this contest.

[I bet a lot of people don't remember theres more than one cyber in D1. That would have been a good trick question-too bad.]

I had the same sentiment. Specifically that the close up shot of the Cyb should have been from another level than it was actually from. If you were paying attention, there would be an indication of which level it actually would be from.

How are you supposed to know what level the screenie to the left of the cyb is from? Could it be anything other than what the obvious answer seems to be? Why would they have two screenies next to each other of the same level?

Where was there a switch in a Gstvine1 wall? Are there places in DOOM I've never even been to!?

I was unable to reproduce the blue keycard from the level I thought it was from. I think these screenies are being cropped and that's why you don't see the stuff left and right of the blue key card that is there in the actual level.

The crates one.... you mean you can actually tell which of the crate levels it's from!? Jeezus....

For me, 3 were very easy and I got immediately without thought. I was pretty sure about the one with the corpse, although I had to boot up the level to have it confirmed. I almost overlooked another one as easy when I noticed a small detail of it that made me realize I had the wrong level. I can't think of where the lit up star -- I just realized, nevermind. At least I think I know, will have to double check. Ahh... I'm so ridiculous! I was thinking they shoulda had a screeny from the beginning of Halls of the Damned... I just realized, there is another level the screenie to the left of the cyb could be from.... God I feel stupid. But the lighting seems to be too dark. So now the only ones I really am not sure about are the gstvine1 wall one with the skull switch in the middle and the close up of crates, although I think the answer for the crate one is the "easy" answer. LOL! I found the place the crate screenie was from in literally 6 seconds. Okay, now for the gstvine one. And I'm still not convinced about the screenie to the left of the cyb.

I just confirmed the star lit up on the ceiling screenie.

If it weren't for the lighting, I would be pretty sure about the screenie left of the cybie.

I have a feeling that the gstvine1 is from E3M5.... Although it could be E2M5... ahh... I have no idea.

"How are you supposed to know what level the screenie to the left of the cyb is from?"

look at the sky texture. thats E2's sky texture. Undoubtedly The Tower of Babel.

With a little tweaking in ACDSee, I was able to make out the gstvine1 screenie a little bit more clearly.

The screenie left of the cyb is still inconclusive though.