44 members have voted

1. 1. your first computer system

• 8086 or older old ass
    • 286 or tandy system
    • apple IIe
    • macintosh
    • pentium and up
    • other, Amiga, C64, UNIX system explain

what was your fisrt system. technicaly i had a tandy 1000 but a few months later we got a 486DX88Mhz. just got a hold of a good working tandy 1000 too. ah memories. however one of my favorite early gameing PC's was the apple IIe.

Pentium 60mhz 4mb ram, about 400mb hard drive, 2x cd rom, floppy, win 3.11 (hardly used it), 15inch samsung monitor. The system still works and runs windows 95.

hey your main board may go upto 133, or if you are lucky 200. anyway i got all kinds of stuff and systems at my house. got a pentium mainboard with VESA, true ISA, EISA(what many of us now call ISA), PCI. also support for the older 32pin simms and the newer(not so new) 72pin simms. it goes from a 60 to 233 and the fucker is big too. it has a ton of slots. may be for a server, types the governemet might use.

other neat things. many airports have NOT upgraded their core systems sence the mid 70's or early 80's. AS ISA and EISA where being phased off new mainboards in 1999 the government was worried that it could not get replacment cards. many of these systems are in horrible condition and need replaced. 60 minutes did a report on this 2 years ago. hell one airport was useing systems from the 1950's that still used vacume tubes. anyway there is still a need for old parts so there are a few factories that make stuff like vacume tubes and older computer parts to replace the dying parts

I think it was a second-generation Tandy. It was actually capable of about 16 colors at once. Unfortunately, I kinda set it down to two-color mode and never did figure out how to get it back. It sat unused after we got our first Win95 box, and the last time I checked the stray mags from the Windows comp had wiped the BIOS and the hard drive from the Tandy. (That was a first-generation 20MB hard drive, too. We were so proud of that thing.)

I grew up with a Commadore 64. Best system ever. We sold it about 6 years ago though.

i am surpriesed no one had a aplle IIe, i never did bt it was really the first computer i ever saw and used. right now i have a fully working tandy 1000, it boots from floppy too. no hard drive for it. however if i can find a true ISA IDE controler card i will put one in. or if i find the tandy harddrive/card. my first really well used computer had to be the 486. we had the tandy for only a few months before we got the 486.

we had the apple IIe's in every class of our elementry school way back when....my 1st comp was my nice imb ps1/386 which was state of the art back in 1991

i never owned a 386 system till now. had a ton of 386 laptops. i hated how they made the weak ass 386SX and the 486SX. i also have a ton of math co-processors

First system that was truly mine? A 386DX 40mhz, with 2mb of ram and a 40mb hard disk. Used it for Wolf3d, Doom and X-Wing... i wanted Strike Commander, too, but it would have used up the entire HD... :/

My first system was an Amstrand CPC I think, then I moved on to an Atari ST. Atari ST = pure 0wnage

ahh. mine was:
386dx 40mhz
20megs ram
120meg
trident 1meg vid card.

used for doom and classic gaming

Math-co=proccessors. can that boost game performace or performance period on my 386dx 40

Mine was

386SX / 25MHz
1mb RAM
40MB HDD

The MB had one ISA slot...how great is that? It had a card thing that made it into 2 slots though...

P90(overclocked to 120Mhz) / 8Mb / 850Mb / 15" / Ati Mach 64 1Mb

That was pretty nice for early '96 :)

i am really surprised that none have had the apple IIe. however i see that other systems where just as popular. i had a c64, but only after ther tandy and 486

Tandy CoCo II not really a computer but it tryed , I still have the thing and all other old computers/game systems ive evr had through the years

Commodore 64.

In fact I still have my second C64 complete with disk drive and printer in the attic, which I bought about 5 years ago in an attack of nostalgia after the first one died on me. Only cost me around 75€.

Heh, my old 386 was king at playing our 2 games : Links (a golf game) and F-15 Strike Eagle III. I remember taking off, and one mission included blowing up and oil rig, in the middle of the desert mind you. Another included destroying a mental hospital...very weird.

I also remember playing it one day and flying out to see, I saw a Boeing 727 and blew it up. Heh.

All the memories of my old 386 come flooding back. heh, didn't even have a sound card and I can still remember and immitate all the PC speaker sounds. :-) When i first got DOOM I put Monster magnets Dopes to Infinity album on repeat and played the game right through. To this day listening to that album can bring back specific scenes from the game. It's kinda freaky. :-)

Playing LOGOS on my old school's Apple ][e comes to mind, but I think my first system was a 286 that had Commander Keen and some other Apogee games on it (Math and Word Blaster).

Skatepunk60 said:

Tandy CoCo II not really a computer but it tryed , I still have the thing and all other old computers/game systems ive evr had through the years

I had the same thing, but that sucker died along time ago. it came with a book that had basic coding in it so you could make cute little effects, like a "time bomb", a house with smoking chimney, etc. some of the coding was mad long, taking an hour to type for some, and if you got something wrong (syntax error) you had to start it all over.

we didn't have a disc drive. intead we had a tape drive, an old school tape recorder that hooked into the comp and read data off of regular looking tapes. if you plugged it in wrong you could "hear" the data, sounding like a modem communicating. ahhh, nostalgia.

years later we got an ibm 486sx 25mhz. it sucked, but that was my doom system.

The oldest I had was the ol' Atari 2600. Those were the days...

The first I actually personally owned was an HP P166 with 16mb RAM. It was a total POS, died within a month or two. Full refund. Never again.

486 with Windows 3.1 and 4 megs of RAM I believe. I loved that thing to bits, I still have it downstairs in the garage (upgraded to a P133 and 16 megs of RAM though) and according to my dad it still works.