Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Arioch

XWE 1.09

Csabo has updated the eXtendable Wad Editor page with the latest release of XWE, bringing the version up to 1.09. This new release contains support for System Shock, Realms of the Haunting, Ultima Underworld, and Descent 2. In addition, it can now correctly identify Apogee IMF music files and play standard MIDIs, and Csabo has also performed a few improvements on the map editor with suggestions from Espi.

WHAT IN BLAZES? That's the second time there has been comments posted before mine, that disappeared after I posted. WTF?.

Yeah, I got the same on another board. Trippy init!

A new version of XWE? I havn't even scraped the surface of the last release.
Csabo, you you sure are a speedy programmer.

The one big gripe I got about this program is the way it re-associated several different filetypes. It would be nice to have been asked first.

It would be nice if you could save an image or souund in a format that my computer can read. It doesn't save them as .wav, it saves them as .voc. My computer can't read that. Instead of saving inamges as .bmp, it saves them as .ART. Thats the only reason I don't use it.

Finally managed to DL the new ver. Nice job on the system shock stuff. Some nice graphics in there. Shame I only have the demo. I used to have the whole thing. It's lost somewhere in the mists of time now.

When trying to export some of the sounds from the Digifx.res file I get a "Read beyond end of file" message. (The first sound, for example, will do this.) XWE doesn't work as well after this (the cursor stays as an egg timer etc). Other sounds work fine.

Guest Excalibur_Z

Isn't the .art extension proprietary to AOL? I don't know what can read .voc files.

IIRC VOC files are an older format that a lot of the old dos utils that came with soundblaster cards used to support. I think Duke 3D also has a whole bunch of VOC files in it. Any good sound editor, many of which are easily available as shareware or freeware will be able to read, and convert them to other formats.

Although, when exporting some files with XWE, I was prompted for a VOC extension, but saved it with a WAV one and MS media player opened it just fine (and media player does not support voc as far as I know).

Arm yourself with something like Paint Shop Pro ( http://www.jasc.com/products/psp/ )for graphics and GoldWave ( http://www.goldwave.com/ ) for sounds and you will have most options covered.

Winamp will play VOC, sometimes. I can kinda understand associating WAD files, seeing as they are fairly likely to be for DooM, but DAT files? Next version, Csabo, put make it ASK you if you want files associated, and put an option in that lets you quickly de-associate the files.

BTW Enjay, I got the full version Of Shock (picked it up for $5 Aus late last year, BARGAIN!) and I get similar errors. About the closest I got was being able to copy and paste a sound entry to a wad file, and then I extracted it with Wintex.

I hope the next version can play the Wolf3d music. We need some sort of imf to midi converter.

Law: Thanks. I do it because it's fun.

inferno_45: If those things are the only things you don't use XWE, cheer up.

VOC files (or any other sound format recognised by XWE, like System shock audio log or RAW files): export them as is (.VOC), then import them into your WAD. Then click Wave|Save (Doom Format).

Enjay: It doesn't do that for me. I also have the demo. Maybe you could email me your version of that file? Plus are you sure you were running the latest?
ART files: These contain multiple images. If you click Entry|Save As... You will get the original .ART file. However, if you click Image|Save Current then you can save the currently selected image as a .BMP, or you can use Image|Save All to save all bmps in your ART file in one step.

Drat: Actually XWE doesn't re-associate anything. It just adds a new custom command (Edit with XWE) to the extensions it supports. So if your WAD (or any other) files were associated with let's say WadAuthor, XWE won't change that. You can right click your WADs and select Edit with XWE from there. However, if you had an extension that was not registered at all (e.g. .DAT), XWE will add a default icon to it. Still any other application can associate itself with those files. I thought this was very 'friendly': nothing gets overwritten. Well, maybe I should add an option if it bothers you.