Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Nimrod Released

It's not often that we get new releases of big Doom projects, but today is our lucky day. After four long years of work, the long-awaited project Ni'mRoD: Ixnay on the Hombre has finally been released. This Doom Legacy partial conversion features ten levels of action-packed monster-blasting, complete with brand-new weapons and enemies. What? This is not enough for you. How about an all new 4 episode megawad for Ultimate Doom? No, you're not dreaming, 2002 A Doom Odyssey is out too.

Here's project lead Ebola's take on the whole shebang:

It started with buying fruit... No that was something they rambled about on #zdoom.
It started 4 years ago. about this time of year. I and markus Sunden sat down by the computer, and decided
to make a wad for the rather new source port Doom Legacy. The first map was using "features" such as
look up and down and jumping exstensively. Since that was basicly all features of legacy at the time
that you could use in a map, and if we didn't use them. The player could use it with whatever he wanted and
that kinda defeated the purpous of making it for legacy. We had figured out lots of ways to implent these
features in the design and to make exploring for switches a bit more intresting. Or annoying, we dunno we
never kept it that long.

7 months later 6 maps was done for release, and then I decided that I should make some new enemies and
THEN release it. Then features were added to Legacy. so alot (all eventually) of the special new effects we
had invented for our wad was buffed out since we could make them better with scripts and whatnot. With that in
the baggage, it just kept on rolling. Whenever I thought I was close to a release there was something new that
came along.

and then the old maps got too underdetailed for the time and to match with the new ones. I think about 11 of
my maps was discarded, and 1 of markus. (wich left 1/2 map from him :p) We tried to get people intrested in
helping making some maps and having a finished verison earlier.

Thanks goes to these people who didn't succeed but made brave attempts at making (a) map(s):
Kristian 'Anubis' Aro
Darco
Daniel Knapp
Mike Tawney
Sasha Muller
Sam Woodman
Richie Gay
Erik Alm
Steve 'Lut' Dudzik
Maonth
Steven 'SoM' McGranahan (by far the bravest attempt)

There might have been someone I missed. But It's hard to keep track of all.

Anyway, time flies when you wait for stuff that doesn't come. After waiting for nothing for 6 months. It's
finished as far as it ever will get.

4 years it took. The slim mentioning of the release may seem a bit weird. but when i released it yesterday.
I was just was glad that it was released and didn't care about anything else at the time. it was a wonder that
I even updated the homepage about it.

Ok. so that's the story really shortened up. So why should you download 7.5 meg of Legacy wad? Well.
Beats me.

Thanks alot to Kurt Kesler, Steven McGranahan and Thierry van Elsuve. You all made a world of difference.

Also thanks to (for whatever reason remain unmentioned): Paul Corfiatis, Kristian Aro, Erik Alm, Fyre,
Michael Niggel, Jonathan Dowland, James Haley, Ben Swartz, Andrew Stine, Anders Åstrand, Tomi Rajala,
Markus Sundén, Anders Johnsen, Ocelot, NC , Gemini and Tom White.

Again probaly missed a few people. But you most likely know who you are anyway.

What are you waiting for? Go bust out your copy of Doom Legacy and download.

Pretty bitchin so far, but I'm stuck on level 4. How do I get that elevator? at the end of the corridor to open? I found the red key, drained the water, and found the soul sphere, is there something I missed or did the script hiccup? Heh, it didn't exit level 3 until the 2nd time I jumped down the hole. :p

I've done some beta-testing for nimrod over the last few years (although not enough really, sorry ebola) and I am eagerly looking forward to playing this thing. Well done for getting it released :) Thanks for the name check.

I wasn't expecting 2002 ADO to be out so soon. Cool. The 2001 E1 was pretty neat, so...

Reminds me of Aliens tc. Does legacy have problems with sound?, when firing the chaingun the loudness would drop if monsters attacked.

Apart from some of the light sources looking a bit odd (sectors darker under lights, green ball (light source) hovering over nukage)its looking good.

Greenball. Damn forgot to check that furily.

Rellik: Uhm, keep looking. if you remember map03 there was a defunct elevator there, it's that elevator you see in map04. it's still defunct.

The water had to be drained before you could exit to the sewers. I think this is explained in the map.Yes. ;)

Keep looking around in map04 and you'll find an item that can help you get further. A similar item was found in map02 aswell. But only as an extra item, not needed to complete the map. Just to get some nice goods.

It's out? N'imrod is OUT?! *Virgil backflips off of a 4-story building* I just don't like Legacy, but hell.. I don't care if Legacy likes to fuck up my comp. I think this one's gonna be worth it.

I'm really happy to see Nimrod released. I'm sorry I never finished a level for it :( I had a few good starts but nothing that went anywhere. Good Job Ebola!

Steven

Nimrod is truly original, I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far.

Also, if you haven't noticed, check out the doom 2002 page. It looks like Anthony Soto (the_fishy :) had some levels in progress so the wad released has been renamed to a beta.

... ...
For the 1st time, I don't know how to describe a wad... N'imrod... ...

I don't really like Legacy, but... ... wow.

It's strange, but in a good way. More original than strange. It has a sad storyline, one that you might want to read. Lots of 3d floors and detail. Better looking than Darkening 2.. If you're still reading this damn post, stop stalling and go get N'imrod NOW!!! I'm not saying you SHOULD I'm TELLING you to GET IT NOW. Get DOOM Legacy v1.32 beta 4 (or higher), get N'imrod, set it up, and play. You all NEED to play this.

Ok. This is a bug report to you who happen to play it.

As you probaly know, map03 is a no go when saving. That's because there's a script that goes through a while loop, does 1 tic of waiting then runs again. Apparently that cause legacy to not be able to load the savegame. This is sad. Specially since I noticed this also happens in map08. Since it got the very same script.

Question is, should I release a pach that fix this save issue but removes this falling to his death thing? Wich will cause another bug since you fall down and cant get up. Wich is an annoying bug, but not as fatal. Or keep it like this until possibly legacy can have a fix for this problem, and let you guys just complete these maps in 1 go and w/o saving?

/me goes to alert Hurdler ..

Strange thing is that it used to work to save with Phobia, and it had plenty of these while loops.

You forgot to thank me for attempting to get Legacy to run for more than five minutes without crashing.

Ebola: The maps I like best are map05-map08. The only map I didn't think was as good as the others was map01. Still.. Such good use of 3d floors. And I thought I saw it all when I saw Phobia. Makes me wonder: are 3d floors as easy to put in as 242 linedef sectors? Maybe one day I'll try and use 3d floors...