Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Julian

Yet Another Launcher Launched

Steve Noonan let us know about the release of his eXtendable Front End Beta Test.

XFE is to make an incredibly versatile front end program using configuration files and basic micro scripting language (using basic function calls). What this means for Doom players is one front end that will run not only every single implementation of Doom out there, but many other programs (such as emulators) as well.

The program can be downloaded from Steve's site.

Guest Sinister!

BETA PROGRAM REVIEW:

The tiny program installs fine, but like the author mentioned, one must download the extra ini files (doom.ini, xfe.ini) and place them in <drive:installed dirXFE> directory

Edit DOOM.INI in <drive:installed dirXFE>
and replace the authors installed dir with
your default installed locations. TIP: use windows explorer address bar to cut & paste the directories into doom ini.

Now modify XFE.INI and remove the line reffering to prog2="D:...NES"
The program becomes unbrowseable to any other drive other then D: if you dont. (This is the authors installed doom directory.)

Running the program...
Once your a set to go you could expect a faster doom startup (not using any additional wads).

Choosing aditional wads presents you the old styled dos box with the SPA notifications.

The verdict:
It promisses to be good. Perhaps it would even one day assist in TCP/IP,IPX networking.

Kind regards.
Sinister!

Guest forEver

man today was a bitch......
girl friend dumped me like a sack o' shit.
boss fired me.
taxes.
IRS.
Bills.
Debt in general.
lost my apartment.
have to move into the Ghetto of Manhattan.
and what do i have to thank for all this??
huh???
Doom, that is what caused this.
that damn game that i still play.
my life is now officially over.
i'll go on living on welfare and just enough money to have a phoneline to the internet and a computer play doom.
my life is complete!!!!

YEAH MY LIFE IS NOW..................

<font size=1><samp>complete</samp></font>

Heh heh, I guess that looks like I'm being weird.
Actually I meant, is Steven Noonan "fUnKyMoNk"? That excellent level designer.

Guest NunoC

can't stand the pressure, eh Elvis? :)

Guest zb42

What's the point of a front end that you have to extensively configure? If you want a completely customised front end, program your own (that's what I've done). It is quite easy to write a front end using elemetary C and Pascal, and you can get free compilers from them all over the internet. All you have to do is some tweaking to the code if you want to add a something.

Guest fUnKyMoNk

Um, yeah, that's me.

Didn't realize I carried such prestige, heh..

Yes, its another front end, but, basically I wrote it for my own use (and has taught me more about windows programming than any of my college courses) and decided to share it with the community... so, if its to your liking, good, if not, it doesn't hurt me. Plus, I've been writing one sort or another of front ends since 1998, so, I was here first. :P

However, this front end can do mounds more than launch doom games.. I am looking for beta testers if anyone is interested.

Searching my name and alias on google brings back some memories.. 3 ½ years ago seems like a long fucking time now.

Seriously though, thanks for the complement about level designing.

It's not like I'm a mystery or anything, I have a domain and e-mail address:
steve@neoxenos.com
http://doom.neoxenos.com/

wheee, didn't you leave the Doom community short after you released that sweet DM level (quite some time ago)?

Guest forEver

i went back to my girlfriend's house at night and licked her pussy. she got up and said she loved me again. damn am i happy. i'm back at it fucking her all day. no work all play.

Guest fUnKyMoNk

more or less, yes i did leave. my website is just to host old stuff I've done in the past. i'm going to put some more stuff up soon.

I don't play doom anymore, XFE is a programming project that involves the game.