• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

The /newstuff Chronicles #60

Guest Matt

SOMEONE MAKE MORE GOOD LEVELS

this level was made just to drive people crazy...

not a good joke to pull on fellow Doomworlders....

Guest Nowotny

I would be embarresed if I released this map. I hope this guy's getting better - quickly. :-)

Look into the /incoming directory ! There is a lot of stuff there but nobody copies it to newstuff. I uploaded my map Thursday.

Some congressman blames Doom and not mapping like that? Just what kind of adults are the members of the JeffK generation going to produce?

Thankless, brute, undisciplined, rebellious savages. That map is your glimpse into the apocalyptic future of humanity, an ironic twist of Doom's avowed intent.

I'm not overreacting.

I am a little nauseous, though.

I'm prepared to admit I could just be being stupid here, but I can't even find "incoming" at the moment. I'm sure it was there before, but when I look at ftp://3darchives.in-span.net/pub/idgames/ in either IE, or CuteFTP, I can't see the incoming directory.

This is what I can see:

LAST.24hours
LAST.7days
README
README.INCOMING
README.legal
README.mirrorers
REJECTS
UPLTEMPL.TXT
combos
deathmatch
docs
graphics
historic
idstuff
levels
lmps
ls-laR.gz
misc
music
newstuff
prefabs
roguestuff
skins
sounds
source
themes
utils

Am I missing something obvious?

and after reading the text file, and "playing" Supar1337 for maybe 5 seconds, I cannot believe it is anything other than a joke. The text is full of asshole 1337 5Þ34|<, or whatever, and the WAD shows you just about every stereoptypical editing "no no" in the first few seconds of play.

The incoming directory is not mirrored, that's why you can't see it. The original archive is here:

ftp://archives.3dgamers.com

But it should only be used for uploads. There is a user limit of 200 users that's why it's hard to access it without a good FTP client.

I have to admit that this wad made me smile. I think most ppl are missing the point that this wad is meant to be a joke (i hope).

* Russell waits for the men in the white coats to arrive at his door.

Damn, you just beat me to it. I just logged on to post almost exactly the same thing as you.

A pretty innovative piece of work. Too dark, yes, but graphically, musically and sound wise a heap of top quality replacements with some quite stunning areas in the map. And just wait 'til you get to the space ship for an unusual, and very hard use of monsters.

For DM-Maps, you might also want to check out ftp://3darchives.in-span.net/pub/idgames/newstuff/dm-morph.zip by Biff, which makes for a fun and unusual DM experience thanks to cunning use of a couple of rarely touched Zdoom features (needs the latest beta).

"some quite stunning areas in the map."

should be

some quite stunning areas in the maps.

After all, there are 13 of them.

"No, wait, it's all there! More than 20 uploads in newstuff - Andrew, look at that again"

Okay, what's going on here? If there's 20 wads in newstuff, how come only the really bad one gets reviewed?

Let's see... newstuff chronicles... one bad map... screenshot is incoherent... title and author name are fucked up... 5 words for a description.
I'm like doing that face.

Last week's nuts.wad was better than this one!

The text file says:
Bugs: n0p3, 3y3 4m 700 1337 4 bu65
Well, then I wonder what a BUGGY map from this person would be like!

I hope next week's /newstuff will have some actual levels.

"this level was made just to drive people crazy...

not a good joke to pull on fellow Doomworlders...."

It had to be a joke.

"Bugs: n0p3, 3y3 4m 700 1337 4 bu65"
I think that pretty much proves it.

So, I have to wonder who really submitted it.

I think we may find this map is actually by a well known person.

I don't believe someone could get so many hideous things wrong by accident. Unclosed sectors, awfull texture combinations, missing and inappropriate textures, inappropriate enemies, 3 Cybies in a big square room.

And then there is the text file.

IMO, Someone knew exactly what they were doing.

Looks like 8 wads were released at once just yesterday. I wonder why they were all overlooked.

"OK, who then?"

I suspect that either they will reveal themselves or we will never know.
I'm pretty curious, myself.

By the way, actually, I kind of like it when someone makes a bad wad on purpose.

Cause then they get all these reactions.

(I just now played it)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

GENIUS!

Never before have I seen that many stupid ideas at once. This kicks Mockery's ass. Whoever this guy really is, I'm his biggest fan!