Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

The /newstuff Chronicles #61

There are twenty-one new WAD files, as we bring you our sixty-first chronicle following up on nearly every new ZIP uploaded to Newstuff in a week... Anyway... I'm just going to lie on the floor now... Please don't let me swallow my tongue.

• Mumphuq2 by Andy Mckie - (img) - One Ancient Egyptian themed map for Doom2. The map seems mainly intended for deathmatch, since it's quite easy in single-player. It consists of a few indoor and outdoor areas, some pools of water, murals, pillars, sewers, the whole Egyptian schmeer. Because of the room-over-room aspect of the map, it's probably best to deathmatch with at least four players. Requires Doom Legacy.
  • SSG DM In The Clouds by Dimgeo - (img) - A small deathmatch map for Doom 2. Not too much work put into this. A few pillars, with sky on the ceiling and the floor. Shotguns are the main weapons. Sort of ugly, and would get boring really quickly. Enhanced DOOM port required.
  • Equinox by B.P.R.D. - (img) (img) (img) (img) - From the author of "Nuts," (one of the most downloaded WADs of the year) comes Equinox, a 13-level WAD for Doom 2. New sounds, graphics, and music makes up this very well-balanced mod. Most of the maps are themed along the lines of blue and silver space base, but there some variations to that, and a considerable amount of detail. Graphic and sound replacements are very well done, and the music is quite appropriate as well. All around, definitely worth the download. Enhanced DOOM port required.
  • Doom Resurrection Episode 1 by Tommie Quick - (img) (img) (img) - The quality seems to be perking right up this week. One of the long-awaited sagas is here. Five maps for Doom 2. Five great maps. They all look, play, and sound beautiful. Ammo and health balance is quite good, so this WAD definitely covers all the bases. There are some nice sound replacements, graphic replacements, and general ambience. Oh yes, let's not forget about the story included in the text file. Requires ZDoom.
  • Meuller3 by Sascha Müller - (img) - This is a very decent, very large map for Doom 2. It may seem a little rusty compared to the ones already released this week, but it has its qualities. It's a multi-themed map, with indoor and outdoor areas, a variety of textures, and a general "more-height-variation-than-average" layout. It also has a good balance of health and ammunition. A fair amount of detail in this map. Just enough to make it a pleasant experience. Enhanced DOOM port required.
  • Sfffft/Meow..P by Cast Draling - (img) - One relatively small map for Doom 2. It's not all that difficult, and it has a variety of themes. The map is pretty much entirely indoor. I suppose you could download it if you wanted to.
  • I Am Evil 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 by Dr. Beefstupid 2 (img) - Since this person released eight separate WADs this week, I'm merely going to look at the first one. Iamevil1.wad is a very small map. Horizontally, that is. If you look up, there is a huge, huge tower right there, with a Cyberdemon at the top. Nothing other than that. If you have an accelerator card capable of running a port with true 3D, the tower looks very nice. As for the rest of them, you can do the playtesting. Iamevil1 has a simple music replacement, by the way.
  • Willy_Wad by Johnny Magnum - One WAD for Doom 2 containing 18 new homemade sounds. Lots of snorts, squeals, grunts, and bludgeons.
  • Your Stick by Alastair Montgomery - (img) - This is definitely one of the best deathmatch maps to come out in a long time. Lots of silver metal platforms in this 3D map, with very well-done color touch-ups. Floor over floor, weapons are placed very well, and a nuking pit in the bottom to discourage you from doing anything clumsy. All this with a black, starry background. Very similar to the many recently-released Mystic maps, but much better in the non-boringness of the design. Unfortunately, a 3D accelerator card is needed to play this map. There are a few graphic and sound replacements. Requires Doom Legacy.
  • Demon Sanctuary 2 by Kaiser - (img) (img) - One very good map for Doom 2. This is set in very rich atmosphere, a grey stone castle with lots of rooms, hallways, indoor and outdoor areas. It's actually quite Quake 1 themed. Just enough detail to make it look very nice. It plays very well. It's not overly difficult, so this is a good map for relaxing and having fun. There are a few graphic and sound replacements, and the music replacement is very appropriate. To play this WAD, you'll need to use Return Resources. Requires Doom Legacy.
  • REoL TOUGH: Halls Of Horror by George Fiffy - (img) (img) - One very large map for Doom 2. Surprisingly, it is quite good. It has a variety of themes. Dark stone, wood, and a mix of indoor and outdoor areas. No, there are no 32-sector slopes. True slopes are utilized. It's not overwhelmingly difficult. Health is a bit scarce, but there is plenty of ammunition. So it can be fun. There is a quarter-decent music replacement, as well as a few junky graphic replacements. Requires ZDoom.
  • Frag5sp by Kim Vidal - (img) - One single-player map for Doom 2. A strange one at that. The whole map is tattooed with a back-and-white custom-made image, with certain wording on it. It's intended for single-player, but it seems quite difficult at that. Wide-open areas and straight hallways with lots of chaingunners and shotgunners. Well, perhaps it could be playable. Music from E2M8 of DOOM is used.
  • Ea Gothic 1 by Erik Alm - (img) - One dark, gothic-style map for Doom 2, running on Map27. It has plenty of detail, very spooky and pretty, but that's about all that's going for the map. It's extremely difficult, as monsters have you overwhelmed as soon as you fire a weapon. However, it could make a decent deathmatch map. It's not as though we don't have more than enough gothic deathmatch maps, but whatever fries your pickle. To play this map, you'll need to use Gothic Textures. Enhanced DOOM port required.
  • Pipes by John Landis - (img) - Owners of the Master Levels on CD, the same CD which includes Maximum Doom (a collections of thousands of levels) may have a vague memory of this. That's right, the very first file (alphabetically) of Maximum Doom, Doom 1 section. This runs on plain old Doom, E2M2. It's a small to mid-size map, and very cramped. Lots of up/down pipes, some of them filled with Cacodemons. It can be quite a challenge, and a nostalgic experience as well.

The graphics is very good.. wich is rare in Doom projects.. The maps are intresting and got a general good gameplay. and I get this warm fuzzy feeling I used to get when I played a old favorti wad called Ganymede.wad.

Only drawback is that one map use Starwars music.. Bleh.

Draling is incapable of making a bad map... this one _is_ somewhat bland, but I liked it.
I look forward to Eagothic1... and its demos!
will try the others...

Bah AndrewB, you must suck since you always complain about difficulty. Play my next map on hurt me plenty or I'll bite you. Look at the demo included with gothic1. I play very badly there at times and I still complete it 100/100.

I really like equinox, very good level design, although a bit lacking of detail in some areas. The planet thingies look awesome.

Guest Big Al

What is it with the screengrabs? The look all washed out and too bright.

like me, andrew must have a dark monitor. i have a brighter one on another machine and i notice quite a difference. the only way to satisfy everyone would be to post two versions, a brightened one and a normal one. seems like too much work but a good idea

* doom goes to play most of this stuff (and he still has to try BoR too)

Guest Captain Napalm

Ivanhoe is the story of a Russian farmer and his tools. :)

uh hey i havnt been here in a long time, i released the meow map, r u talking about me opulent?, if so wow thanks never got any positive comments about my maps. I just released that map as a joke i guess, um im working on a big project right now hopefully i wont die before its done, hahahahahhahhaa *cough*

Guest Busted Corpse

Dammit! I liked only getting 1 or 2 poor maps to download, now I gotta download loads. You guys dont play fair ;)

Yes, brightness of monitors vary. If I have a monitor at this brightness setting (and it really doesn't seem all that dark) then so do a lot of other people. It's better if they're too bright than too dark.

LOL! Man AndrewB just cuts 'em apart doesn't he?

"REoL TOUGH: Halls Of Horror by George Fiffy - One very large map for Doom 2. Surprisingly, it is quite good."

Heh, definitely no hard feelings around here eh REoL?

Thanks for the review AndrewB, you are too kind, I really dont like mumphuq2 very much, the gameplay got all screwed up by the 3D floors. That screengrab looks really cool, how did you make the fog effect?

Calling my mystics boring was a bit cheeky (yourstick review), taken on their own most of them are quite smart little maps, better looking than most.

Guest (Unknown)

Equinox is awesome! It reminds me of Strife's later levels. It's about time we started getting great stuff(ressurection, equinox, brotherhood) from lesser known authors, rather than the well known authors around here who make warmed over-rated crap.

mystic: I think the "fog" is AndrewB's idea of a correct gamma setting, not entirely sure though as the sky looks ok...

The dam has burst and lots of great downloads await...
Equinox proves the true skill of the author of NUTS, while EAGothic1 is another map from our Erik that, like his other work, never fails to disappoint.

Heh Sam, I hope that "never fails to disappoint" was a typo. Damn you bastard othervise :P

Agh! I'm really sorry about that. I mean to say 'never fails to amaze' but somehow I got confused... Sorry again about that typo.

"I Am Evil 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 by Dr. Beefstupid 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 - - Since this person released eight separate WADs this week, I'm merely going to look at the first one."

Well, I played them all. I'd say these levels were designed specifically to irritate people.

In #1 you have to wait several minutes for a lift to lower. If you get the invulnerability powerup just as the lift is about to go back up again, it runs out about 20 seconds before you reach the top.
If the cyberdemon hits you with a rocket, you fall off the building and have to wait for the lift again.
The same sort of tactics are used on the rest.
In #2 you have to kill about twenty hellknights in a small room with a shotgun. Adam Hegyi wouldn't have a problem, but most of us would have a hard time killing more than two before being completely boxed in.
#3 requires you step from one distant ledge to another and figure out exactly what pattern works out best while being shot at by arachnotrons, revenants, chaingunners and sergeants. If you fall off, you die.
#4 is more fun, but barely. You have to kill 455 imps with a rocket launcher without getting too close that you blow yourself up. If you really want a headache, try it in nightmare.
#5 requires that you spend a half-hour chainsawing demons just to get a couple of stupid keys.
#6 puts you in a room with a large group of barons with a super shotgun. Pretty easy, but it's time consuming. Then you warp into a room with many doors. If you open the wrong one, cyberdemons close in and kill you, forcing you to fight the barons again.
#7 has you running around collecting keys and fighting monsters when the exit is really in the room you start in. Just step into the pool of lava and die.
#8 is a nice finish. You get a shotgun and lots of ammo. You run and run along a really long corridor until you reach a cyberdemon. If you run out of ammo, you have to run all the way back to the beginning to collect more.

Every level in this series has a sky that looks like a carpet, and a different graphic made in MS paint that says "POO" in big letters.
Dr. Beefstupid is definitely evil for unleashing this on the community. And strangely enough, if you're as doom masochistic as I am, you keep playing them.

I would encourage anyone who has a morbid curiousity to play these levels. Anyone with chronic migraines should avoid them at all costs.

Also, I'm pretty sure Dr. Beefstupid is an alias. Who do you think it really is?

One more thing, Iamevil2 appears to have custom sounds. At the beginning of the level a guy says "Agh! Sharon Stone is a pile of guts!" or "Ewwwwwwwwww"

I found that mildly entertaining.