Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

The /newstuff Chronicles #62-1

Seven healthy, glowing new WAD files this week, as we open yet another chapter of the newest things found in Newstuff.

• Doom Down DM1 by Devin Afshin - (img) - A small but fancy deathmatch map for Doom 2. It has two small castles, pretty much identical in design, and a small courtyard in between with a well, some shrubbery, and a few bricks lying around. It's a jet-gray map with a gloomy-like atmosphere. Very well detailed. The well in the courtyard has a Soulsphere, but that gives your opponent the opportunity to blast you on your way back up the well. It's rather well thought out. It has a very good music replacement as well. And hey, it has a skybox. Requires ZDoom.
  • Ea Gothic 2 by Erik Alm - (img) - Following up on last week's Ea Gothic 1, this map is pretty much similar. Same textures, same dark gloominess, same challenge. It is indeed quite hard on skill 4, something Adam Hegyi might feel slightly challenged with. Fortunately, it has lower skill levels suited for the more human among us. It has a fun design overall. Of course, to play this map you'll need to have Gothic Textures. Enhanced DOOM port required.
  • The One Level With All Those Teleporters by Espi - (img) - One nice map for Doom 2. Not all that large, but it takes place in a series of very attractive letters. Despite the fact that the author spent most of his energy carving his nickname and website address into the map, the lighting and texture work is very, very good. Every room looks the same, but still quite attractive. It's a little bit challenging as well. It has a pretty good MOD music replacement as well. Requires ZDoom.
  • Null Space by Russell Pearson - (img) - This is one very nice, very large map for Doom 2. Its main theme is wood with some stone, out in a black, spacey place. The amount of detail in this map is just perfect. The interconnected rooms and hallways lead you around in a very interesting way. Lots of height variation and paths that go off in a 45° angle. Very reminiscent of Doom Episode 1 style layout. It has just the right challenge as well, quite similar to that of the original DOOM. It uses music from E1M3 as well. Well worth the download.
  • Red Christmas 2001 by Ed C. - (img) (img) - The third annual map of the series, this deathmatch map has everything. It's rich, bright, colorful, loaded with amazingly well-done detail that just blows you away. The map is relatively large for a deathmatch map, but it's not your typical boring "arena" style map. There are several sections to this map, indoor and out, so it's best played with four or more players. It has things like slopes, a skybox, explosive special effects, and a fast-paced MOD music replacement. Requires ZDoom.
  • Train To The Abyss by Johnny Magnum - (img) - One single-player map for Doom 2, running on Map10. Not much detail, not all that much challenge, a rather ugly setting. It consists of a train-like area, and then some tunnels, rooms and hallways, as well as outdoor areas. I suppose it could be fun to play, if you've absolutely run out of good WADs, which is probably unlikely. It has a few new sounds, though.
  • Escape From Prison by Philip Renshaw - (img) - One much more mediocre map for Doom 2. Totally empty rooms with nothing but monsters and ammo. Plain textures, random light levels, not enough ammo to survive, and many other complaints. Oh well, at least there's a boss at the end of this indoor map.

Ed's red christmas is a really nice map. Using classic textures with a new sting.. :p

and excellent use of slopes.. that teleporter into the missile chamber.. looks very awesome.

Good maps this week,

Nullspace of course, already commented on that in the other thread. Great map.

tolwatt, heh, nice level Espi. Ehm, "original" design =)

both doom down and red christmas looks like they would make excellent dm levels. Great use of slopes in red christmas I must say, it also puts the textures to really good use.

Train to the abyss could have been fun to play if it weren't for the ANNOYING pickup sound. It made me quit after just a few minutes.

Escape from prison is IMO a good map, despite the lack of detail. The dark rooms and numerous traps combined with the low ammo level makes you run from enemies all the time and only waste your precious shells on the biggest threats, I did finish it 100/100 on the first try, so it's not impossible at all.

eagoth2, heh I made this, so no comments. I had fun recording/watching demos for it.

Doom Down is indeed all Andrew said it is, but there is a problem relating to the room over room special effect using transfer sector heights in the latest Zdoom beta, it creates a HOM effect. This is something that has been mentioned on the Zdoom forum, and may or may not be fixed in the next ver.

TOLWATT, Surprisingly good for what is essentially a publicity exercise. Great looking textures and good gameplay. Odd when you consider the simplicity of the map. Played it through 5 times. Good fun. Odd.

Still got to give the others a good thrashing.

I was using ZDOOM v1.22 (guess I should upgrade) when I made it, (Doom Down DM1) and I figured the more recent Zdoom betas would work only better. I guess I was wrong...

Erik -
Ea Gothic 1 and 2 are nice maps. I played EaGothic 2 yesterday - skill 1 - and had a lot of fun. Demos in the ZIPs are nice too.

Espi -
I really liked "Tolwatt". The music replacement is terrific, and so is that great cacodemon texture!

Heh, I figured you must have meant an earlier 1.23 beta because I tried it in 1.22 and there was all those exclamation mark unknown things where the invisible bridges were, although the HOM wasn't there.

I'm aware of at least 3 other projects that have come across this problem with beta 28.

Here is the thread on the Zdoom phorum that covers this problem:

http://www.notgod.com/phorum/read.php?f=11&i=1703&t=1612

Really nice map, especially in the visual departement, although I wouldn't call UV extremely difficult or compare it to HR maps. I can beat Post Mortem on UV and this map is nowhere near that difficult. I did die once or twice from clever traps ;), but they only caught me once. Still, this is an excellent map overall. Now to find the other secrets...

Heh, I did exaggerate some in txt file about the difficulty. That was just to get AndrewB away from skill 4 :P

Guest Johnny Magnum

Null Space has an exellent atmosphere and supreme layout. The demons and imps are in the best places possible, twists and turns, and that unsuspecting drop i ran into add to the effect of the wad. The textures gave the effect that you were in a condemned, demon infested, catacomb-like corner of hell. THe sky was black and showed no light whatsoever. And the entrance scene with all the slain doom guys really adds to the effect well. Oh and the portal from which you start out of has good placement.

over all I give this wad a 9 outta 10. To be honest, we doomers here at Doomworld, need to rate the wads that are posted, it's just a thought.

Guest Johnny Magnum

To be honest, nothing is perfect...

Guest Johnny Magnum

Why do you beg to differ? well? huh?

I'm almost done with map09. (I just need to add some enemies) I might choose to leave out the almost completely incomplete map10 to try to get beta 3 out sooner. Not much is left to get a working beta 3. I'm just trying to figure one thing out for another project I'm working on. Once I figure it out, I'll go back to finishing beta 3. So my best guess for the release of beta 3 is "soon".

BTW, I'm still looking for level designers since the only two are SlayeR and I.

lazer, I'd love to help out. My maps are (actually) pretty good. I hope its a zdoom project cuz I have a habit of going crazy with slopes and other Boom/Zdoom effects. I'm working on two projects right now, One of my own, and another a group project. So I won't be able to commit to it as much as I'd like to. I'll give you some samples of my work if you want.

Uh...really? Wow, thanks. Although, to be honest, it's not (and I'm not just being moronically self-depreciating) -- I agree that there is always room for improvement, and in P:AR, it's in level flow. In a clearer moment, w@velength -- yes, THAT w@velength -- pointed out that it was not always clear what a particular switch did; as a result, that is something I'm working on (level 9 includes a lot of signs and comp. screens that should clue the player in as to what to do, and if you can't figure out where to go in level 7, you are a moron). So, thanks for the compliment, but don't judge it quite yet.

PS: I think that the original Eternal Doom (levels 1-12) would get a 10 out of 10 from me.

Guest Nowotny

I think that NULSPACE.wad is awesome. If I could vote here it would get the #1 spot for me this week.

What do you think? Let the public vote on the best newstuff release of the week - each week.

After all those poor releases last week, this week renewed my confidence that there are still good PWADers out there cranking out new stuff. Thanks guys!

Guest Virgil_

Hit me over the head with a frying pan.. I'm dreaming :)

So many good wads in just one week. (Null Space kicks arse! Russel rules over vanilla doom with an iron fist. I STILL don't know how exactly he pulled off those perfect circular/diagonal (!) wood flat platform alignments.)

P.S. I still remember Ed's Sin City. That was a map that I'll never forget.

Virgil

Guest Virgil_

eaEuro01 -- NOT for the weak computer. However, if oyur comp is P3 or above, this should run like a dream, which it did for me. A HUGE map, difficult on UV, but fun. I spent one of my afternoons on this monster. Again, you've been warned; for strong computers only.

eaGoth series -- For all computers, smallish, very challenging on UV. Very good use of gothic architecture as well.

All these maps are gonna be staying on my hard drive along with all the other jewels I've picked out.

Virgil: don't forget Erik's maps in oneweek.wad -- had no one told me, I would've guessed that map11 was yours. ;)