Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

Engine Cubed

So maybe it's not Doom news exactly, but we havent been bursting at the seams lately, so why not: Aardappel sent in the news that he's released the first public version of his Cube engine, a rather novel approach to making a 3D world:

Landscape-style engine that pretends to be an indoor first person shooter engine. Combines very high precision dynamic occlusion culling with a form of geometric mipmapping on the whole world for dynamic LOD for configurable fps & graphic detail on most machines. Uses OpenGL & SDL.

How is this Doomworld worthy? Well, the engine doesn't allow room over room, and some Doomers have made maps for it, and that's enough for me.

Guest Rick Clark

Screenshots look amazing. I'm downloading it now. :)

Guest Rick Clark

I just tried Cube and it is awesome. If you think that making a map out of cubes would result in bland maps, you need to look at the maps included. None are in the least bland. I'll have to try and make a map now. :)

Guest Pirx

eh? an engine is dw worthy if it doesn't allow rooms over rooms?

btw, what about legacy?

I'd say the main reason it gets mentioned here is because doom society people make maps/models/etc for it. I tried it before when it was a private beta, and it rocks.

Guest NunoC

I enjoy Cube alot. Oh yes I do.

Thanks for the nice comments people. Yes, its a very doom-like engine, its DM gameplay is very doom like (well, relative to other games anyway), and some doomers helped out.

captmellow: I am not sure I will do bots... I'd rather invest time attempting to do some kind of SP.

Very nice indeed :)

But why on earth is the texture format .jpg? That should be for photos, large screenshots, etc. It loses way too much detail on textures.

could you include functions to turn of bilinear filtering? (like GL_NEAREST in q2..3) and make sure the proggie runs at 16bits Opengl (if it doesn't allready :) that way i could probably tweak out a few more fps... other then that kickass engine... tried it in dedicated server mode on my spare p166 (yes) and it only used like 18% or so :)

really like the build like way of editing... this rox :)

Hey, Carmack was a doomer, I hear he made some other engines too, perhaps we should post all their stuff on here too. Hmmm...

Guest Rick Clark

I'd rather invest time attempting to do some kind of SP.

Now, that would be cool.

nightmare: all textures are 24 bit, double res (compared to doom). Supplying them all in png say would make the archive go from 4 megs to 20 or so. Yes, its a tradeoff, but I prefer high res jpegs to low res pcx anyday. The quality is set to "8", i.e. fairly high, and I don't see a lot of errors, do you?

bitstate: 3d cards that actually give significant speedup without bilinear filtering died out 7 years ago. If you are still the proud owner of one of them (virge DX?), you can gain much more by using lower resolution: i.e. commandline options -w512 -h384. But frankly, its a tall order running cube on such a system at all. Also, set "minlod 25" in your autoexec.cfg for some more fps.

heh I have a virge dx... I spent at least an hour fighting with X4 today, and I know if need to get a new gfx card which is a pain, because I'll need to fight all over again :|

aardappel:

actually its not quite that bad... not far from though ;o) its a tnt2 but the pci version.. dunno how much i gain by going linear (not much as you say), but appart from that i think it looks cooler too :o)

but i think my linux comp has a s3virge vx based card in it.... hehehe

Guest Mizzory

Well, you can always have co-op bots, as soon as this does get sp because they all look like dm maps to me. I like this way of map editing, kind of like for build maps. But it's not as easy(yet?). That'd be cool if there were an ingame editing tutorial, Kind of like the training level in half life, you are told the functions of this engine in editing mode step by step. Like, "To make a pillar highlight an area of the ground and press the _ button." "Good job, we may now move on to the next area where you will learn- ok you get my point, it'd probably be too much work but it will probably get very popular very fast if it's editing is made as easy as playing the game.

Well obviously there's more important stuff to be done with engine, so far it kicks ass. Keep up the good work Aardappel.

Guest Rick Clark

I'm just about done with my map. I'll post it on my webpage when I get it done.

I am really enjoying the in-game editing mode. I hope the other game developers take notice. You get immediate feedback and no more guessing as to what your work will really look like in the game. (Yes, Build had this, but it was so damn buggy as to be useless.) It will be hard to go back to editing the old way.

I may have to work some tutorials on this. :)

rick: that's quick! email me you map if you need someone to betatest.

mizzory: yup that's definitely a cool idea, but as you say there are 1001 more important things. What I will do at one stage once it allows demo recording, is make an editing tutorial demo (since editing operations are part of the network protocol, this is easy). But for now the html editing tutorial will have to do (did you read it?)

bitstate: a tnt2 will go NO faster without bilinear filtering. As to its looks, the days of pixelated games are over, really. yo should see less "blurryness" anyway because the textures are much higher res.

Tell me about this in-game editing... is it like a BEV editing and scenery checking switch thing or do you actually build the scenery as if you were playing the map?
I imagine having a whole set of tools to the left and... for example, building hills by shaping a base in 2D, then raising it and shaping the sides with a mouse.

<font size=1><samp>why don't you go eat some cheese</samp></font>

I did download it and try it out... then I uninstalled it when I forgot I could maybe make a map for it. I thought I'd just ask before I spent another half an hour downloading it again. All an answer required was a few words, and I kinda did ask politely, which is more than a few people posting in here can do.