Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

DWBS

To ring in the new year we now have pop-under ads on Doomworld! No, they were not my idea, and yes, I know popunders are the devil, but the bills have to be paid somehow. Or perhaps you would prefer paying money? (Didn't think so.) I'm sure there are ways to circumvent the popunders, but I'll leave you to your own discoveries since I don't think Telefragged would very much appreciate me telling you how to screw their sponsors out of eyeballs.

I don't think this is a big deal. DW is a great site, well worth a couple of clicks each visit.

Okay, I guess it's a couple of clicks for each page loaded on Doomworld, not each unique visit. Oh well, it's still worth it.

<Linguica> yes bigd
<Linguica> i feel your pain

Guest Ike654

Well, this sure doesn't help my 33.3k modem any. But yeah, bills have to be paid somehow.

And why do I keep getting script errors on those popups?

how much do you have to pay for the site right now, ling?

annually?
monthly?

yeah and post all the figures from your tax returns for the past 3 years while youre at it too.

Guest j00 equals ded

next stop... newdoom.

Guest deathwarrior

j00 mad h4x0r

Well, if pop ups really bother you (and they do me...to no end; I never click on them, in fact I make it a point to never click any advert...but that's just me ;) Well, anyway, I guess one simply needs to find a "pop-up stopper"....hint hint, nudge nudge...

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Turn off all Java and Javascript, it's useless and a huge security and anonimity risk.

Use Netscape 3.04 or compile your own version of it. Some fluff pages won't display properly. It's usually enough to simply report a browser other than what you actually have by using a proxy.

Use something like Proxomitron to mask your browser type, OS, and where you're linking from.

To get rid of regular ads, put a hosts list in your windows directory. Here's a decent one I've added to myself:

http://www.geocities.com/caco1413/hosts.txt

You have to remove the .txt extension and place it in /windows

Ads,what ads?My mind is trained to blot them out,blot them out,blot them out,blot them out......

Guest laff

OOPS! *H4x0r4l1f3 There we go

Guest sponge

I just use guidescope: www.guidescope.com Blocks most ads and popunders, sometimes itll stlil pop up a window but the ad isn't shown. Works good for me.

Heh, pop-under? Strange concept.

Needless to say they don't show up for me, as I have details censored due to DMCA disabled.

could they at least pick some ads that aren't annoying? 'cuz like KOMPRESSOR once said, "WE MUST DESTROY X10".

bah.

Guest Pirx

i wouldn't even know there are some ads if you didn't say it :)

Guest Striker

I doubt Ling is making any money on this deal its all telefrag. But this post is just him begging us to put up ways to counter those ads but. You can always use POW! from from analogx (pick up some other fun toys like the disk cache tweaker while you are there)

http://www.analogx.com