Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

Reznor On Doom 3

I see over at the Macworld site that they've conducted an interview with Trent Reznor about his use of a Mac in his musicmaking. However, there's also this little question which is of interest:

Q: After providing the music for Quake, are you scoring any more games?
Reznor: I've been discussing things with Id Software for Doom III. It's not formalized at this point, but it's something I really want to do. When I did Quake, we were still questioning if the audio was going to be streamed off of CD, which if it wasn't was incredibly limiting. But with as interactive as things are now, and as immersive as the engine they've been working on is graphically, and some of the program is so moody; it's like scoring a film. Yet it's much more intense than a film because it doesn't always go the same way, it has to be interactive. Plus the mood of the game is so dark and evil, it's interesting to me.

people who know me will know how enthusiastic I am about reznor scoring for doom 3.

Guest Liam the Bard

Reznor sucks.

Bah.

I'm certain ID would find some real soundtrackers if they just looked.

Hopefully that's why it's not finalized yet: they're still looking.

Then again, if ID pays a shitload for him to get some real producers and performers, it could be decent.

For me, the Quake soundtrack was one of the few things the game had going for it. The game itself was just a technology showcase (IMO).

The price of the game was worth paying just to get that spooky music. It's come in incredibly useful in a number of Role play games and similar events I have run.

Heh, you think that's remotely spooky/atmospheric music?

I'll have to make you another convert of Das Innere Ich in the near future ;)

I admire Trent Reznor's work but he is indeed... not subtle for Doom 3's soundtrack at all. He has true talent but his character does not match the feeling of any doom game and especially most likely Doom III. Evyones music represents they're character and his character just doesn't seem to do the trick. I'll do the fucken music for Doom III because I have a true evil sense of mind and it would perfectly put anyone in the position of having a nervous breakdown.

GODDAMNIT!!!!! WHY DON'T YOU FELLOW REZNORITES BACK ME UP IN THE FORUMS??????? I'M TIRED OF HAVING JUST DANARCHIST FOR COMPANY!!!!!!!

Heh.

Guest ash

in reznor, to deliver a really good evil track. Even though Quake 1 soundtrack sounded a little rushed. He did the soundtrack during a NiN tour. This time i think his mind is clear in how he wants to score Doom 3. If Id does not get Trent which would be a mistake. They should hire Akira Yamaoka who did music for the Silent Hill series. Or they could hire Jim Thirlwell "Foetus" to helm it. Maybe even Aphex Twin. Anybody but Slayer or Slipknot, that would sound horrible. Doom 3 would be a B-movie.

can we please not have yet another quake soundtrack love/hate disscusion here?

lets talk about the matter at hand.

please? :)

Guest Black Knight

I think Trent has the talent but I don't know if he's just going to be so goddamn busy making his new album that he might actually kind of just put his retarded ass tracks on the game. Who knows?

i totally agree on akira yamaoka- silent hill 1 (haven't played 2 yet) scared the SHIT out of me. i just got a new copy of it (the old one was banged up) and i'm afraid to play it.

Guest j00 equals ded

some people never grow up...

i cant believe one of you said that reznor couldn't do music "dark enough" for doom 3. have you never listened to the downward spiral? it's one of the most disturbing, heart-wrenching albums ever created. quake's soundtrack was sort of bland because it was meant to be the backdrop for the game, instead of the main attraction, yet it still managed to be significantly spooky.

Guest cocoon

Trent wil hardly put tracks that weren't good enough to be on the new album on the soundtrack, it is stupid to even say so. Trent is an intelligent man and will do a great job, I'm sure.

I think people could go and read what was said in this article: http://www.doomworld.com/articles/roundtable-6.shtml

Sorry, TDS struck me as kinda silly and childish (and horribly recorded) compared to most everything else that isn't on MTv daily. Somebody like Devin Townsend coulda made that a really kickass album though, it sure had potential.

I can break wind and have it sound more spooky than the quake "soundtrack".

I'm sorry, but that's just how it is.

Quake "music" was shite.

Guest Captain Napalm

I will turn the music off no matter what it is. I like my atmosphere tobe achieved by ambient sound effects and the like. Of course good music can help but I think the experience is much better with the music turned off, for example did any of you play Half-Life with the music on?

Guest ash

Luts. Trent's stuff is surpass MTV material. I hardly see anything of NIN on MTV, as a matter of fact MTV hates Trent. Id rather see a Trent Reznor or a Richard D. James score DOOM 3,than any of those mindless, untalented, MTV stars. Imagine Fred Durst or Disturbed helming DOOM 3, i would keep DOOM 3 on mute.