Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

NiGHTMARE Speedmapping #4

Nick Baker's fourth weekly speedmapping session will take place Saturday at 8PM GMT, 3PM EDT, in channel #zdoom on irc.openprojects.net. This week's theme, as usual, will be totally crazy and unlike any DOOM speedmapping done before. The rules which apply to all speedmapping sessions can be found at the bottom of this page.

This week will feature the first (maybe only, if it doesn't work out) Doom "chain speedmapping" event.

The rules are a bit tricky, so here they are in advance:

1) You'll work on a map for 25 minutes, and then pass it on to someone else. Who you pass it on to will be determined by the organiser.

2) You will, of course, recieve a map from someone else, and you should work on this new map for a further 25 minutes. After that time it'll be passed it on to
a third person.

3) You'll work on this third map for another 25 minutes, and then pass it on to the fourth (and final) person.

4) The last 25 minutes will be spent working on the fourth map.

5) To ease confusion for everyone, your maps should use naming conventions. These will follow the format "mapXX-YY". xx is the map number (which will be assigned to you for your first map) and yy is the number of the person working on it (i.e. the map you work on will be 01, the second 02, and so on).

6) Each time maps are being passed on, the time will be paused until everyone has their new map.

7) All the usual rules (see the bottom of this page) apply.

Oh, and I've decided to allow extra time for people to play through levels once they've got them, so it won't be quite so frantic.

Ok, I could see this maybe working if you had two people per map, each doing 50 minutes of work, but with 4 people, it is goind to be a nightmare (pun very much intended). Not to mention the fact that there is no way I could finish anything significant on a map in 25 minutes :-)

What's up with everyone missing it? Is the time too early? Too late? Let me know and maybe I'll change it...

Because there will be a set theme for the style of level, which won't be revealed until the session begins.

For me my Saturdays a usally pretty darn busy..Puls my family likes to get on the internet more on weekends too...

So Sorry.

I will try to attend....

I will I will!I might be a learner but I'll be there,I enjoyed and learnt much from doing the last two.Cheers Nick.

I think also the point is it's an exercise and not a competition. The only person you would fool by using a previously made map would be yourself.

Guest Captain Napalm

I will most likely make it, but that time is still pretty late for me, because I usually go out with friends on saturdays at 9 pm (which is the time here) I guess anything earlier would be bad for the americans tho.
But I mean 10 o'clock is not that early is it? Could wake you up :D
So pushing the time back to 6pm GMT would be great for most europeans and not too bad for most of you americans. Just a thought.

Heh, finally loaded up that industrial .wad you sent me. Very nice for your first wad. But heres a hint. Add the monsters in AFTER your completed with the level.

Whilst I doubt I could make a map I'd be willing to share with anyone in a 2 hour period (I tried it last weekend - got a great start for a map, but I'd need at least 4-5 hours to do it completely), I thought I would point out (on behalf of any Australians who might actually be that fast) that the timing for the speedmapping challenge already means that we have to get up at 5am on Sunday to take part :-) Earlier would be a bad thing, IMO.

Of course, I tend to think that the old weekly style of speedmapping was better than the ultrafast 2 hour deal. For one thing, I could actually do that :) For another, the level quality will (inevitably) be better.

Just my 2 pacific pesos.

Yeah, there should be a regular week-mapping competition. I think more people would be up for something more casual like that. :)

Thanks.I've done another 40hrs on it since you got it and it's come along nicely.Please remember I only sent you the map as it is to try because of your continued insistance.The reason I put the monsters in as I go along is to ensure the gameplay is all that I want it to be.Does anybody have views on this,is it usual to put all the monsters in last?

Thanks.I've done another 40hrs on it since you got it and it's come along nicely.Please remember I only sent you the map as it is to try because of your continued insistance.The reason I put the monsters in as I go along is to ensure the gameplay is all that I want it to be.Does anybody have views on this,is it usual to put all the monsters in last?

I think you're getting confused :) The thing that lasted a week was Metabolist's one week contest, which was a totally different thing than Doomworld's speedmapping sessions (and the former was started AFTER the latter).

The only real difference between DW's speedmapping and mine (besides it being in a different channel on a different network) is that the DW ones began at 7pm GMT and mine are an hour later, at 8. Though I might change it to 7 for next week's and the week after.

Whoever did the 1-week thing, it was a good idea :-)

Why not give people the option of doing either a 1 week wad, or a 2 hour one (or both), each time you reveal a new theme? That way, we would get two lots of new levels to play out of each speedmaking exercise. Which has to be a good thing.

This wouldn't work so well for this four-person-jam idea you have this time, but for other themes it would be fine.

And it would save me getting up at 5am on Sundays :-)

Yep, the oneweek maps sure did get me stuck... I am now editing for doom like crazy... thanks Metabolist.