Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

The /newstuff Chronicles #69

There are ten proud and healthy new WAD files this week, and they came from that magical directory known as Newstuff.

• Gothic Dreams by Various Authors - (img) - A six-level deathmatch WAD for Doom 2. A very rich one at that. Each map is artistically created, using a very nice collection of textures and an ideal level of detail. Each level is different yet well defined in its theme, and some of the layouts are interesting and not overly arena-like. There are a few graphic replacements, and some sound replacements, including ambient sounds. Requires ZDoom.
  • Core Algorithm by Dennis Meuwissen - (img) - One small to medium sized map for Doom 2. Very basic in its design. Plain rooms with little detail. Not much of a theme to this map. Some indoor and outdoor areas, and some chemical storage areas. A variety of textures, and a variety of elevation levels. As a bonus, it uses the music from Doom, E1M5. For a map that requires Doom Legacy, it's quite disappointing. Requires Doom Legacy.
  • Slayer.wad Issue 2 by Richard Wiles - (img) (img) (img) (img) - This is an amazing 16-level modification for Doom 2. Single-player maps from Map01-Map11 as well as Map31, and deathmatch maps from Map25-Map28. In general, these maps can be directly compared with The Plutonia Experiment and the recently-released Alien Vendetta. An ideal amount of detail in every map. Playability is also a high-point. Health and ammunition is balanced quite well, and the challenge put forth is just great. The deathmatch aspect is also excellent, with rich non-arena style maps. There are several music replacements as well.
  • Let It Roll by Sean Bernard - (img) - Three maps for Doom 2. These levels are small to moderately sized. The WAD starts out with a white cement and silver theme, and then spreads into a variety of themes. It has a very classic-style implementation of secrets, with a few press-the-wall hidden areas. Not much more can be said without spoiling it. A small, easy, decent-looking WAD is what it adds up to.
  • Pot City by Brendt Pantley - (img) - A single deathmatch map for Doom 2. This one is quite nice. A pleasant lava/slime/grass/stone theme, played mostly outdoors. Weapons are placed in a typical deathmatch fashion, and it has an interesting non-arena style layout to it. An ideal amount of detail. Attractive, but not overwhelming. There is a starry sky texture included, as well as the music from DOOM's E1M3. Enhanced DOOM port required.
  • Wickedly Simple by Rex Claussen - (img) - One single-player map for Doom 2 this time, running on Map07. It's a moderately-sized map, using some of t he Map07 special features from Doom 2. Monster infight is a big part of this level, as it makes you spend much of your time causing fights between enemies. Not all that much artistic detail in the map, although health and ammunition is balanced reasonably well.
  • The Classic Episode by Various Authors - (img) (img) - Nine classic-DOOM style maps for Ultimate DOOM, occupying all of Episode 2. This WAD has plenty for fans of the original DOOM. Themes from all episodes can be found in this WAD. The perfect amount of detail is used in each map to bring back the feeling of the original DOOM. Ammo and health is balanced superbly. This really ought to be DOOM's fifth episode.
  • The Baron's Domain by Will Hackney - (img) - One single-player map for Doom 2. This level feels a lot like something out of 1994. An author new to DOOM editing, trying out all the editing features and experimenting. For those who have a fetish for 1994-style addons, this should satisfy some deep-down craving. Lots of white cement, some grass and some sky. Also, some big bosses at the end. On the plus side, ammo and health is balanced reasonably well.
  • Dark7 by Bryant Robinson - (img) (img) (img) - The quality continues. Seven amazing maps for Doom 2. Most of these levels contain a lot of dark brown metal, although each map has a well-defined theme, varying nicely from map to map. The storyline set out is quite involving, and each map is quite large. An ideal amount of detail in each level. The author seemed to be concentrating on the fun factor, so everything works out nicely. A very well-done modification, although the included music from Unreal makes it a very large download at about 8MB. Requires ZDoom.
  • Operation: Lightning by Stephen Clark - (img) (img) - An eleven-level modification for Doom 2 this time. This one is a little different from the large WAD files we've seen lately. Each map is a low-detail, extremely large map. Many themes are thrown together in somewhat of a blended mess. Neither ammo nor health seem to be balanced much at all. Still, you may want to save this WAD in a corner of your hard drive for a rainy day. It does have a bit of storyline, but it basically boils down to a bunch of big levels. Enhanced DOOM port recommended.

Guest Ultimate DooMer

I've just played through the episode myself, (a good time was had, as usual) and noticed a few bugs that I missed when I updated it for release. (nothing that stops you from progressing, though).
I'm gonna fix them, and re-release the wad sometime in the next few days.

Guest cocoon

What are the changes from the 1st release? I can't see the txt-file mention any...

I call that inconsiderate - making the package 8 mbs or so. Why can't he make a version without the Unreal music? I'll do the music if he likes.

Guest Chris

I agree with Metabolist on that one! 8 megs is too much, and although it adds something to the atmosphere of the levels, it ain't that important.

And I think Slayer is the single most important release in this weeks /newstuff! It's truly amazing and extremely original!

Pot City has a nice confusing influence on the gameplay. It's nice to see such an original design. Good job there Megalyth!

AFAIK, the Slayer and Classic Episode releases at the FTP are no different from those available since months at Swedish Fish's website.

Fish?

Yup 8MB = over an hour of DL time for me. No thanks. A music stripped version would be most welcome. Shame, it seems like it is really good.

Hell, I've got UT and Unreal, I can put the music in myself.

Guest Archvile46

I feel proud to have been part of the Newstuff Chronicles #69

Guest Ultimate DooMer

I have fixed the bugs and uploaded my
Op-lite2.wad again, just waiting for it to be updated on 3darchives.

Classic episode sounds great, I'll find out tonight....

For some strange reason Wickedly Simple (wicked_2.wad) doesn't show up on Newstuff Chronicles #69, while wads that were uploaded later (e.g., Operation: Lightning) are in here.

AndrewB must have fallen asleep at his computer before he got to the bottom of the list ;)

I haven't played it yet, but Richard Wiles kicks ass, so I know it's good. Download it, clownshoeses!

Right enough, it is missing. I DL'd that when it appeared a couple of days (?) ago. Really good fun. Lots of monster infighting making it an interesting play. A wad that actually uses the MAP07 specials too.

Nice one.

They are the same version that was posted on my website space. They are just officially archived now...

freeservers sucks...should have done this a LOT earlier..

Guest Virgil_

Hey, if the music fits the levels, its worth the time to download 8 megs. I haven't played it yet, but that music better justify the long download time. Those textures look quite tasty to say the least.

Virgil

Guest Ultimate DooMer

This is a pretty good debut. Tough start, lots of big monsters, good battles and traps and nice 'demolition' effects (barrels under crushers at different heights - good idea)
the warehouse bit with the 2 big groups of monsters was fun, as was the cyberdemon encounter in the temple.

Guest Archvile46

Heh, thanks for the kind words. I just got tired of playing Doom for eight years and decided to start making it.

av46: keep it up and your maps will improve quickly, that's for sure. You seem to have got the basics already.

I have a cable connection and it's still horrendously slow.

My advice would be to make the sound wad a seperate download. If people want to hear it, they can still get it.

Indeed, my cable connection is only downloading at a mere 8-kb/sec download.

Why did God make this world so plain?