Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

John Carmack .plan Updated

John Carmack update his .plan file a couple of days ago. Here is a snippet from his update which may be of interest to many Doomers:

Do not buy a GeForce4-MX for Doom.Nvidia has really made a mess of the naming conventions here. I alwaysthought it was bad enough that GF2 was just a speed bumped GF1, while GF3 hadsignificant architectural improvements over GF2. I expected GF4 to be thespeed bumped GF3, but calling the NV17 GF4-MX really sucks.GF4-MX will still run Doom properly, but it will be using the NV10 codepathwith only two texture units and no vertex shaders. A GF3 or 8500 will bemuch better performers.

He also talks a bit about some other issues with Doom 3 in conjunction with ATI's Radeon 8500 and the upcoming GeForce4 series of video cards. Quite an interesting read.

Guest cocoon

ppl always think newer is better.

heh, reminds me of the topic of #nightmare

"Do not buy a GeForce4-MX for Doom. Go for a bargain 1MB PCI card, that's enough."

Guest Battle_Zealot

well, i´m hapy if i can get a GF 2 or 1, so i can play q3 wothout any lag.so i´m quite sceard when DooM3 it comming and i´m sitting here with a vodo 2 or GF2 mx PCI =)

I hope my system will be enough for this game ;)
Still sitting sround with this old P3/800...

Hmm... i think when DooM 3 comes out i can get a Geforce 3 for just 50 €
Or get the computer that my dad uses now. ^_^

Guest Captain Craypo

I don't even NEED graphics card. I am so handsome I can just stand in front of the mirror all day and get my graphical fix.

Guest (Unknown)

If I recall correctly, didn't JC tell us in the beginning that we'd need a geforce to run doom 3? I think I'll just wait until the game actually comes out before throwing down my hard earned cash for a video card which *might* work with doom 3.

In the meantime, I'll stay with my Geforce 2 MX-200. Why? It's the fastest MX-200 in the land!