Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

The /newstuff Chronicles #70

We scratch at the bottom of the barrel and come up with a meager two new WAD files this week, in one of the worst ever presentations of the new things found in Newstuff.

• Build by Picklehammer - A joke of a map for Doom 2. A square room with a bunch of monsters and a Romero head. There's a MOD music replacement as well. Requires ZDoom.
  • The Floodgates by John - (img) - One reasonably large map for Doom 2. It has an outdoor slime theme, vaguely resembling Map24 of Doom 2. Not all that much detail in this map, although the square areas connect in an interesting way. Ammo and health is balanced very well, and there's a nice variety of height throughout most of the map. It's worth the download.

Take an FTP client such as CuteFTP or WS_FTP, and connect to ftp.3dgamers.com. Then find a pub/idgames/incoming directory and upload to there.

Guest Bluntman

wow. build is the best map ive ever seen in newstuff... although i found the music to be a bit annoying.. Other than that, well done picklehammer.

retat. -girlfriend stealer-

Guest Bluntman

perhaps, we don't have the same ideals when it comes to doom maps. i happen to enjoy the creativity and many hours poured into 'build'

"What kind of retard are you?"

i think you just need to take a toke and relax. or maybe you need to find jesus to have inner peace. maybe, just maybe, you need a little love. god still loves you.

Guest Bluntman

what i find funnier than build.wad is the fact that your taking me serious...

Guest Ultimate DooMer

Another way to do it is to use your ftp client to connect to archives.3dgamers.com with anonymous username and your email address as password.

This can take a while, as there are only 200 slots, but keep trying and you'll get through eventually. Once there, place your files in the /pub/idgames/incoming/ folder.

x:> ftp
ftp> open ftp.3dgamers.com
ftp> cd /pub/idgames/incoming
ftp> bin
ftp> send <path to .zip>
ftp> quit
x:> exit

Guest Ultimate DooMer

The page doesn't open in incoming, so you have to change directory 'till you're in incoming.

By the way, which ftp client are you using?

Guest Jihad

build sucks, floodgates is ok. nice job andrewb

Guest Bluntman

can these messages be edited? because earlier i read jihad's message about god or something and now its changed to "sucky wads"...

Guest Ultimate DooMer

so much last week, so little this week....I should have released Op-lite2 this week instead of last....

nevermind, onto the wads...

Build reminds me of those wad building tutorials where you build one room and put a monster in it. (nuff said) Floodgate is better though, quite tough at the start (with -fast) and some nice areas in it, too.
Modern/hi-tech base themes are usually the best.

You guys obviously dont remember Picklehammer. He is just having a little joke, like Andrewb says in the review. Its his first wad. Making it zdoom only adds something to the joke.

Hey Pickle, gonna make a Legacy version?

Sorry for the double post.

Woohoo, I just completed build without cheating. Theres no problems with the texture alignment which is good considering its Picklehammers first attempt.

It runs okay under Legacy so theres no need to make a separate Legacy version. I couldnt hear the music though, is it available separately?

Guest Ultimate DooMer

The music is a MOD music replacement, hence it can only be heard in ZDooM. Turn the MOD music volume up and you will hear it.

Guest Virgil_

Maybe not the best architecture, but it fits right in with ID's levels. I liked playing it. The only major issue I had was that it had too much ammo on UV. I had like 400+ cells and 100 shells even after I killed the Cyberdemon. Maybe its 'cause I berserked all those barons, but owell.

Virgil

Guest Ultimate DooMer

It only takes a few minutes to upload onto the DooM archive (that's for a large file, less for smaller files), the hard part is logging onto the ftp server itself.....it sometimes takes longer than it does to upload stuff!