Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

The /newstuff Chronicles #71

A single WAD file fills our fantasies this week, the seventy-first week pampering the files found in Newstuff.

• Military by Sébastien Roy - (img) - One single-player map for Doom 2. This is one of the most unusual maps we've seen in a long time, which is probably a good thing. The author had absolutely no hesitation whatsoever to let his imagination run wild on this map. It takes place in somewhat of an abandoned metal base. Some areas dark, some areas foggy, and there is little detail. There are many interesting and suspenseful scripts implemented; such as slopes, surveillance cameras, and invisible enemies. As well, the music changes as you reach new areas. Very, very different. Requires ZDoom.

Guest pablodictter

well, look on the bright side...

Guest pablodictter

...sorry. got nothing.

Guest Mr. Originality

Map is aiiight but the guy had to rip off metallica and super metroid? thumbs down :(

It wasn't Metallica... I used E3M3 music, Super metroid and a midi from eathbound I think. Sorry it was in French I forgot to change it...

Guest Nash

Can you please put an english version? Or get someone to translate it? :D

Well it's not so important what the message says. It says "The sound of a door opening" or "What happened here...". These messages don't really help in the wad, I just wanted to make some kind of suspense. I don't think of re-uploading it since it's gonna take another week to be on the site.

Some areas dark, some areas foggy, and there is little detail.

WTF are you talking about Andrew?????? That's a shitload more detail than I can cram into a map!

I think the French messages add a bit of class to the map.

Yes, there is little detail, compared to most maps. It's not as if I said it in a negative way.

Well, if we like scripted maps with relatively little detail and dynamic music, my friend Richo has a map that could be interesting. It is to be featured by Doomcenter, any day now... *Looks at wristwatch... then at calendar, then slowly graying beard.* Heh, just kidding - take your time guys. :p

Thanks for the low details comments. I'll try to work a bit more on that. I'm almost done with map 2, so maybe it will be there next week... Anything else I should improve?

Guest Ultimate DooMer

I think the definition of 'detail' is a bit blurry.......hi-tech rooms containing wall displays, consoles, tables, chairs etc. <b>do</b> count as detail also, not just shadows, lighting etc.

This map does contain lots of that kind of detail (the same goes for my maps)

(imagination run wild....very very different....my maps are like that as well, but that never got mentioned in their /newstuff reviews....just the lack of detail)

Guest Ultimate DooMer

damn, tags don't work....

Guest Ultimate DooMer

that's html tags, not the ones in the map...

For anyone who cares, I'll try re-upload military in English this time, plus I'm going to put the second map I just finished. So if you saved in the first map, you'll just have to load the game to keep your ammo...

Nice map,above all I enjoyed it and agree with AndrewB the French added class.Nice effects and look forward to the next.

Guest Archvile46

Heh, I love trying to make my maps as realistic by your definition as I can.

And does anyone else have SCRIPT NOT FOUND errors when they play that wad?

The script not found is a weird thing I found. When I script, export, compile it with Acc and then putting the behavior with XWE, the script works but in Wadauthor, it says things like: Linedef 3 has a bad script number. Anyone has a solution ?

Guest Nash

The new ACC compiler outputs the HEHAVIOR lump in a new format which Wadauthor doesn't recognize. You'd have to tell John to update WA to handle the new object.

Hey I'm looking forward to the second version. To be very honest, your map is one of its kind, it was a lot of fun, was unique and took me a while to beat! It really felt like playing a first-person Metroid at the start.