Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Julian

More Details

The JDoom site has been updated 2 days ago with pretty good news: the engine is going hi-res! Here is a screenshot for the proof. As a consequence, a DOOM2 retexturing project has been launched: more information can be found here.

Well, it's about time! Hopefully the Legacy team will take a similiar path...

At long fucking last. I wonder how they're gonna handle this. Is it mandatory to replace all entries? Or there's a new wad entry detailing what's "high-res" and what not?

I suppose sprites will come later, wich is a good thing.

Zdoom beta 33 can also use Hi-res textures. You can add a very large patch graphic to a wad, and scale the texture it is in to behave like a 128x128 texture (or whatever size is required). Or you could just use existing patches and scale them too.

The only editor which can support this so far is DeePsea. Jack Vermeulen has posted a revised version of his X-theater WAD which uses Hi-res textures at his site http://www.sbsoftware.com/

Make sure you read the text as you need to increase the heapsize when playing the map.

Guest Pirx

most of those re-made textures look really good.
zdoom: does it now support 3d cards or not? that zdoomgl kept crashing when i had it last time, 3 or 4 months ago.

Guest DoomFan

Looking forward to hi-res-tex!

That looks awesome! Amazing how fast the community picked this one up!
I hope the MD2 models can have TGA skins pretty soon too.

Hi-res textures in Doom?
It's a must (43.9%)
It's interesting (39.8%)
It's not needed (12.1%)
It's plain silly (4%)

Sheesh....you people want too much! (Though I voted the second one)

No, not in JDoom's case. As long as it forces any kind of mipmapping on you, it better have the high-res textures to go with it.

The "distortion" is what makes it look nice. Other wise a wall from up close would just be a bunch of colored squares.
Thankfully Doom3 uses hires textures and OpenGL.

afaik that is an old link, and the doom retexturing project has merged with freedoom to become a 'sub project' although I don't know the details too well. - http://freedoom.despayre.org:81/ <-- last link on the left I think.

Someone tell aardappel! ;)

QUICK NOTE: If you made a hires texture for freedoom and it isn't listed on the hires page there (I know some of mine aren't) you might want to email the author.

Sample looks good, although I'm not sure exactly how flexible the JDOOM implementation is. Are other issues that go along with same fixed? For example can you make a texture 512 tall and will it tile correctly on a 1024 tall wall? Does it increase pixel density or is this mainly a color depth improvement? Post in editing section if you know.

I do know exactly what ZDOOM does:)

Even close up in ZDOOM, you don't need "distortion" to make it look good. IOW, NO colored pixels staring you in the face. I made several examples that are crystal clear "close up" to emphasize the incredible difference it makes.

In ZDOOM, all ALL the same DOOM texture editing rules still apply - including full texture composition flexibility and access by most editors - although they may chop the bigger textures, it still works.

Hmm, it supports hi-res, but does it support lo-res? By that I mean, a 128-pixel texture stretched out over a 1024-high room?

Primarly the 1024 was meant as an explicit illustration of a DOOM height problem in tiling - it happens at less too.

Stock DOOM tiles at 128. BOOM ports have "lines" if you have a large texture and attempt to tile with those. BOOM code does support a single texture over 128 tall that "fits" a sector. ZDOOM fixed all those issues when the hi-res was done. Opened up a whole new world. If I can find a large enough texture, I have a use for 1024:)
=====================

I personally wouldn't have a use for stretching 128 into 1024, but YES you can.

The ZDOOM range for expansion is 8 times larger and the range for compression is 32 times smaller. At 32 it's about as purty as one would want:)

'Cause I was thinking along the lines of making a map that's say eight times as big as a map such as Map01 in terms of all dimensions. An 8-high step becomes 64 high, of course you'd have to put a lift there or something to make it playable. And have the textures stretched out to look like a normal huge map.

I'm not saying I'm planning on doing it, I just thought it would be a neat idea.

Guest Captain Napalm

In what way will this improve gameplay?
Adding high res textures is probably nice programming practice but I personally don´t think it´s needed or a must.
Just go make a Doom mod for Quake 3 or the upcoming Unreal 2 if you want Doom with excellent and modern gfx. I bet it´s less time intensive.

But still, editing in doom is far easier than editing in Quake or Unreal. And I'm sure it takes a lot more time to make a good map on a 3-d editor compare to the time needed to make a good map on Wadauthor or Deepsea.

Guest Captain Napalm

True. But adding all this high res stuff, true 3D bridges and 3D models etc. kind of negates this fact, doesn´t it? And personally I enjoy Doom for it´s simplicity and small and compact size. I.e. a level is only a couple hundred kilobytes large and if you add high res textures, this will surely blow up the file size immensly. If someone were to release a 32 megawad with hundreds of new unnecassary high res textures we are going to have to download 20 mb files. I don´t want this and see it as pointless. I mean the darkening 2 has some fantastic textures and they are low res. You just have to realize and know the limits of your medium. I.e. don´t try to make high res textures when the game is built for low res textures. And if the sprites are not redone it will probably look horrible too.
I said in my previous post and i´ll say it again: This is Doom not Quake 3.

File size is larger for sure, that's just the nature of bigger textures. Can't see how that relates to anything except that, yes the file size is larger. Just like levels are much larger than they used to be - which also makes the file size much larger:)

It's extremely EASY and SIMPLE to make high res textures in ZDOOM. JDOOM looks a lot more difficult since it's not integrated with the Doom format, from what I can tell(?).

ALL the normal texture editing rules are followed in ZDOOM. The only additional step is to specify the X/Y scaling for a texture in the texture editor (default is 1-1). Similarly slopes are very easy to do. IOW, basic editing stays simple.

DOOM used "low res textures" because they couldn't do that at the time (hardware too slow). That doesn't mean that it doesn't look better. A level with high res textures (the ZDOOM way), looks much more attractive (assuming proper textures). Especially when you get close up to a wall with a high res texture. It doesn't pixelate.

Some people argue that all the DOOM port extensions done so far are not needed. Like look, jump, GL mods and all that stuff. This is similar.

I'm not disagreeing with personal preferences (that's why some people play the latest games instead<g>), only that the new flexibility does really improve the looks of a level with very little extra work. 99% of the effort is the same as before - finding new textures. Scaling is trivial.

XTHEATER (a 2.2mb download because of textures + it's a large level) is a demo designed to show various ways this gives new texture flexiblity to level designers. Be sure to use -heapsize 16 when playing with ZDOOM beta 33 or later.