Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Julian

A Warm Center

Bigdog, from the Doomcenter crew, sent us words about the latest feature that can be found in this wonderful place where they buy and sell used souls:

After many moons we finally have a new featured level up at Doom Center: A Warm Place by Richo Rosai. A Warm Place is a singleplayer wad for ZDoom with loads of scripting and features which tie in to a cool storyline. Included in the wad is an MP3 remix of Doom's E1M8 by Jehova Gyra, and it is very spooky, very well done.

Here you go.

It's possible that you don't have your MOD music volume turned up, or (maybe?) you forgot to include awpm.wad as well as awp.wad. Also make sure you have beta 28b (later betas will work, but with slight errors.) I hope you like the E1M8 music.

Heh. Hey, I remember when I first "learned" DOS. I'm from the old school of white trash who learned about computers in grade school on a Mac with Claris Works.

When I got my first PC and tried Doom, I remember spending days just yelling, "What the fuck is a 'command line'?" I felt really dumb. I finally gave in and bought a series of instructional videos that were on sale at OnCue for one dollar. True story.

Yeah, well I kicked my computer and broke it because I got pissed off with doom. Then when I realized it was broken, I got a hammer and starting smashing the crap out of it. That too is a true story. Really.

I found a few glitches in this thing. Most of them are superficial, but a couple that happen with beta 33 (remember that this was designed more than a month ago with beta 28a) ruin scripts. That sucks. I was thinking of uploading a better version to newstuff, but it seems that MP3s can't be embedded in wads there. Darn. I hope not too many folks get messed up by these glitches.

I thought it was hard as hell. But then again... I'm not like a demo freak or anything either. Overall I really enjoyed the wad, and looking forward to more (Richo said he'll work on one over Spring break).

Oh, I'm sure old Richo can come up with something, but it might not be as big. The poor guy just got engaged and fired, so he's gonna be busy.

Guest Ike654

I've never understood that "We buy and sell used souls" thing.

Guest Damon

Good God, this kicks ass! Finally something decent! That music is awesome, too! Revenants are gay.

But how do I get to those labs? The door says "you are going to die now, goodbye" then brushes me off because I'm not Lord Cyberdemon or something.

You have stumbled upon one of the glitches that occur with newer betas. You really are supposed to be killed, and it worked fine when it was finished with beta 28b (the latest at the time.) Short of using the older version of Zdoom, just avoid trying to open that door (you should always listen to computers, duh!) until after you really do have the key it's asking for. If you want more specific information you can email me.

And let me point out again that this and similar problems didn't exist when A Warm Place was finished and originally presented to Doomcenter for hosting. If you are interested enough you can try with beta 28b (as stated in the text file - or was there even a text file in the zip? oops) and see for yourself. In any case, please don't think that I would put out a level with such a glaring error.

Guest John Romero

Now THIS is a great map! Excellent music as well!

Email: romero@romero.com....Quack

Homepage: www.doomworld.com/www.romero.com....even the biggest idiot in the world should know this is fake!

Guest Damon

None of the betas except the latest one work for me, so I'll just have to grin and bear it.

What I should have pointed out in my earlier message, was that I don't know where the key for that door is, and such. I shut down the force-field generator in that moon-base, then came back to the main level and the forcefield was gone and behind it was that door. I don't know where else to go. What's the deal with that room with the zombies getting mashed?

I haven't DL'd yet. I haven't found a time when I will be able to leave my comp downloading for the hour and a half it will take.

<font size=1><samp>Considers moaning about huge dl's on a slow modem when I already have the mp3 track anyway.</samp></font>

But the glitch with the killing. If you used a damage thing instruction to do this, you may have used "DamageThing (0)", that used to guarantee killing the player. Randy has modified damagething so that using -ve values actually adds to health and 0 no longer kills, but does 0 damage (not sure if the o damage was intentional or not). It has affected a couple of my scripts too. I just replaced it with DamageThing (1000). That seems to work :-)

Kinda off-topic, whatever happened to 'Nimrod' ? I remember playing the Beta last October but haven't heard anything since. This is an excellant WAD, btw. The music was well worth the larger download, imo.