Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Rich

Need help with 3 button mouse using Doom2 for Win 95

Hello!

I've always played from the DOS prompt and have been using a three button Logitech mouse. This has always worked for me. Left is shoot, Middle is forward and Right is strafe.

I also have Doom2 for Windows 95 and would like to use it because of the improved resolution but, for some reason, I cannot assign the third button in the launcher. I can assign any two buttons with strafe and shoot but not the forward option. There's a spot for it in the launcher that comes with the Win 95 version but I can't find the equivalent Windows Logitech mouse assignment.

Logitech's mouse setup has many functions that you can choose from for each button. It even has one called 'middle button' but that doesn't work. I think it probably should be the 'middle button' choice but somehow you would have to assign 'forward' as the function.

Does anyone out there use a three button mouse with Doom2 for Win 95 and, if so, what are your buttons assigned to under Windows?

Btw... I've has this problem under Win 95 and Win 98.

Thanks for any help!

Rich

Cool, I have a logitech mouse, and I had the same problem your having. Go into the Control panel, then the mouse option, and make sure your middle button is assigned to "middle button"(or something close to that) instead of "double click" or something. If you can't find anything like that, maybe your having a different problem than I had.
I reinstalled windows and lost may mouse driver so my information might not be totally right. I hope this helps you.

Yeah, I had to set my mouse as a three-button wheel mouse to make it work with Quake II and stuff.

Carnage said:

Cool, I have a logitech mouse, and I had the same problem your having. Go into the Control panel, then the mouse option, and make sure your middle button is assigned to "middle button"(or something close to that) instead of "double click" or something. If you can't find anything like that, maybe your having a different problem than I had.
I reinstalled windows and lost may mouse driver so my information might not be totally right. I hope this helps you.

Thanks for your reply!

I do have my middle button set to 'middle button' via the control panel and it accepts that in the Doom2 for Win 98 launcher but, once the level starts, pressing that center mousekey does nothing. Again, it works fine in DOS mode.

I have a Mouseman2 (ps2) and I'm using Logitech Mouseware 8.62, as can be seen in the add/remove software list and I'm running under Win 98. Would you tell me which Logitech Mouseware or driver your using?

Thanks again!

Rich

Thanks to any and all who posted a reply.

I realize I can use a source port but I wanted to use Doom2 for Win 95 - thanks!

Bigbadgangsta - the wheel option didn't work but thanks!

Rich

Serial_Killer said:

if the middle button can scroll i think you need to set it so that the mouse is a 3 button mouse with a scrolling wheel.

No, this is just three buttons with no scroll wheel.

Thanks!

There are only a few options Doom accepts for middle button, next weapon with scroll is one, previous weapon is another. Pressing middle button allows run on I think.

I reinstalled windows and lost all my good drivers so I have Logitech® MouseWare™ 6.42. So I don't even know what my other version was. Sorry that didn't help :(

Shaviro said:

can't you just use zdoom? I have the use key as the middle button.

Actually, I also use zdoom,legacy, and prboom and my three mouse buttons work fine. The reason I want to use the Windows version of Doom2 is because of the improved resolution. I'd like to try a competition type demo using vanilla Doom2 1.9 but the DOS resolution is hard on my eyes.

I've downloaded an updated driver from Logitech and plan to give that a try. If that doesn't work I'll just use the DOS version of vanilla Doom2.

Carnage! Appreciate your reply.

Thanks!

Rich