Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

The /newstuff Chronicles #72

Three new files trickle in this week, and they all came from Newstuff.

• No Rest For The Wicked by Rex Claussen - (img) - One map for Doom 2, running on Map27. This is a pretty good single-player map, taking place in a sort of red cathedral/castle setting. Detail is about average. Ammo and health is balanced quite well. It has a bit of repetitiveness in some of the areas, but that's just a bit of nitpicking. Worth the download.
  • Trip Wires by Richard Sham - (img) - A single map for Doom 2. This is a very large and difficult map. Very difficult. Monsters swarming you from the beginning, few places to hide, and little health. Ammo seems to be in reasonable supply, but there's almost nowhere to escape from the monsters. Architectural detail is low to moderate, although it does use some different textures to freshen things up a bit. As well, it uses a common music replacement. To play this map, you should use Gothic Textures. Requires ZDoom.
  • Fragport Status Bar by Stephen Clark - A simple graphics modification for any version of Doom. This replaces the standard gray concrete status bar with a light brown and blue bar.

I downloaded this map a couple of days ago and liked the design. Ammo and health were good and the placement of weapons was well thought out. I enjoyed playing it so I sent a recording to Rex.

Guest Ultimate DooMer

Actually, there are five wads in /newstuff this week, my Quake 2 skys (q2skys-1.zip, q2skys-2.zip) seem to be missing from the chronicles. (eight 360 degree skys from Quake 2)

I thought this was a real pleasure to play. The SP_HOT textures don't seem to get used much these days so it kind of felt like a bit of a nostalgia trip from early doom days, but with modern, quality ReX style mapping. Nice one ReX.

Yup,nice 'n' nostalgic with the sp_hot but most enjoyable Rex.Trip Wires,this is Some map,real tough but extremely challenging and enjoyable,great work.

Guest Ultimate DooMer

Well, I suppose you're right, but people still need to be made aware of it (eg. a simple message saying: "Eight 360 degree skys from Quake 2...need I say more?")

(which is a bit like what I've already said really....)

Guest Ultimate DooMer

In this case there is, you could mention how they look in DooM, how well they converted from the originals etc.

I just tried a few in doom2 and they look good!

As Ultimate Doomer says, just enter:
doom2 -file yourwad.wad q2sky1.wad
Choose (1 to 8) for different skies.

This assumes you have a sky defined in the wad your looking at - duh!

Guest Ultimate DooMer

You don't actually need a sky defined in your wad, the patches and textures are all in the q2sky* wads themselves...just plug one in and enjoy. (as long as your own wad doesn't have any new pnames and/or texture1/texture2 lumps in it, cos if it has then it won't work)

Is it just me or has Doomworld been boring the shit out of anyone else lately? I can't wait to get some more breaking news or a new DooM III picture or something.

Ahh, so the newstuff chronicals should really be called:

"The newstuff that I like and that I feel is worthy to be seen by the community, as determined by my own prejudices about the game."

Kidding! I for one would have like to know about those skys tho...

Guest Ultimate DooMer

I'm glad your joke statement isn't true, otherwise my last DooM 2 episode would not have been in the chronicles.....

Guest Ultimate DooMer

(that's op-lite2, not fragport)