Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

Legacy Continues

The Doom Legacy site has an update lamenting the departure of coder SoM, and also addresses the issue of the (lack of) support for Windows XP, with the rationale that any OS that requires you to register yourself isn't worth the time of day. Seems like an arbitrary way to cut off a potential userbase if the needed changes are otherwise pretty easy, but it's their decision.

Guest The Last Doomer

Pft. I like ZDoom better anyway.

I'd think it perfectly acceptable to buy a copy of windows XP for the cdkey and license, then download a warez version without the timebomb and registration. :)

- TLD

I do all my WAD-playing on a portable PC with Windows XP now, and I never had to register a thing with it. Now I have to try and avoid graphical glitches in all my Legacy screenshots.

The Legacy team (or at least one person) seem to be acting like big babies.

I don't think it's so much the OS that they have problems with, but rather the way microsoft are going about releasing XP software (the new MSoffice ecetera...)

I'll never use XP anyway, so I don't really care.

Guest Julian Mehnle

I fully support their decision not to support XP! ;-)

Guest sLydE

i am with you

Guest BazLorD

No, I don't, As i've heard, there are ways to get around that, but not fixing any bugs it may have because of that OS.....sorry, way to shoot yourselves in the foot legacy team, I've been moving away from legacy recently anyway, Zdoom & Jdoom are my ports of choice, Edge seems to be a sinking ship, but if a new edge project came out, I'd get it instantly.

Guest Lt. Taggart

You are right about Edge. Hell they screwed up the ability to add M-Player support. Like they will ever add it in. Ha!! Yea right!!

>No, I don't, As i've heard, there are ways to get around that, but
>not fixing any bugs it may have because of that OS.....sorry, way
>to shoot yourselves in the foot legacy team

Uh, how are they supposed to fix bugs on an OS that none of the developers have? I think most of the legacy guys use Linux, and they won't touch WinXP because MS is being such an ass about it. When debugging for an OS, it's usually a smart thing to HAVE THAT OS. heh. Some people who don't know what they are talking about. heh.

EVERY port has coders that act like babies. This guy won't add slopes, this guy won't add 3D floors, JDOOM will never have EITHER. Blah blah blah, it's all bullshit. Vavoom is the only port that offers everything, but it's so damn slow....

Why do so many coders have this thing about "I won't add that, it's not DOOM. You want that, go edit Quake." You're either a purist or you're not. There is no halfway. Either give us mappers EVERY option or give us none. All your doing is holding back the growth of the community.

Guest Lt. Taggart

You are damn right. I am sick and tired of messing with Edge's problems. Sure it maybe a cool port and all but I have had problems with the older versions. I also wish people would stop releasing "alpha" and "beta" crap. DosDoom and Edge have always been either Alpha or Beta.

I guess these coders not implementing your wishes may be related to how much you are paying them to do so.

Guest Virgil_

Windows XP sucks ASS. I tried it and it wouldn't run any of my DOS-based programs. Not only that, but I didn't like navigating it. Too many fancy pictures drowned out the text and not Doom2 and its source ports NEVER ran with sound and music. I switched back to Windows 98 after two weeks. DON'T get it if you like Doom2, Quake/Quake2, etc. XP is for bastards who don't care about games.

Virgil

Uh, yeah, because the coders actually KNOW the codebase and they know that you either rewrite the rendering engine or you have a bad implementation that doesn't work right then you have everyone turning 180 degrees and bitching that you should have made it stable instead of buggy and feature laden. So either shut up or pay someone to get what you want. There is no in between.

>EVERY port has coders that act like babies.

WRONG. Every community has lamers who act like babies because they don't get what they want.

I'm sick of listening to poeple whining about them not getting what they want. If you want a port with 3D floors and slopes, make your own or give randy some much deserved money.

You can revert back to Win9x's interface if you wish... and why is 95% of the Doom community a bunch of ignorant lamers?

Guest Virgil_

Actually, the only way I got to run all my programs is when I installed Windows 98, and since my comp had a partition backup instead of a master CD, I couldn't re-install Win XP once I re-formatted the hard drive to install Win 98. They told me on the help line that they didn't HAVE master CD for my comp either and that they couldn't help me.. So THERE. There's NO WAY I can set up a Win 98/Win XP partition and I hate Win XP anyways, because it for some reason kept screwing up my comp. After a couple of boots, it would take up 98% of my CPU usage and my 1.7 Mhz comp would run slower than a P1 machine, even though there weren't any programs running, except the taskbar (!!). I realize that some may argue against me, but I think Win XP is a big waste of anyone's money. The interface, yes I can revert back to the classic, but the actual DOS support is GONE. No restarting in MS-DOS anymore and therefore not even my map editor can run. Win XP, in my opinion, is just another OS designed to make money and does not possess backward compatibility, which I, along with dozens of others I know, greatly value. Having said all this, I never want to see XP on my favorite computer again and never will. I will either stick with '98 or wait for them to come up with an OS that is FULLY backwards-compatible with DOS _and_ Windows 95/98. I don't have as much of a problem using XP on other computers, but my personal comp is going to be the way I want it to be: full of games and programs that actually run. I seriously think that Win XP is a mistake.

Virgil

Guest Virgil_

Yep.

Virgil

Guest UAC PR Dept.

3y3 h4v3 p00b3z!!!!!111

Afterglow: Because it's contagious. :P

SoM: If I had money, I'd pay Randy, but I'm just an ignorant lamer without a job. Still in high school, so that's okay... Good thought though. He does deserve it. Often he does take feature requests, at least when they're good, widely agreed on by ZDoom-phorum-goers, and possible without major overhauling. And even then, if the major overhauling is a good idea because it can do much more than allow the requested feature... well, for example, he's using Build stuff now, some of you may know.

Rellik: I can say that Randy never said "I won't add that, it's not DOOM." If he says he won't add something, it's because it wasn't part of his original objective / he doesn't want to. Keep in mind it's his program.

The thing about interacting with people is that you must often operate on their terms. Compromise versus violence... I guess people that have to rely on violence in real life due to lack of ability to cope and control over their hormones often have trouble shedding their frustrations in online communities such as this.

Guest UAC PR Dept.

Use DCK?

Guest UAC PR Dept.

Topic of my I made a poopie was supposed to be "What's a lamer?" but it wouldn't take the backslashes. I should have thought of that...

XP is for people who have absolutely no interest in any legacy anything, actually like bloatware programs, no security, and of course don't mind letting Microsoft have a weekly update of how many freckles they have in the most private regions of their system.
XP is more stable than 98 ONLY because XP has no legacy support and that it has proprietary IE enhancements. (they build their empire on modularity and standardizations, then they abandon it for monopolistic reason. nice.)
Why anyone would want to register (and re-register and re-register) their OS is completely beyond me.

and why is 95% of the Doom community a bunch of ignorant lamers?

* AndrewB smirks at the irony of this question

Actually I said that because I've kindly mailed people making sourceports asking what they will and won't be adding and some have sent back oddly angry mails about how such and such isn't right because then we might as well be editing Quake and blah blah blah. The legacy team is the only bunch who have been civil and very open-minded. Now maybe I caught these three gentlemen on bad days, but there was no reason to rant at me about it. They could've just said, "sorry, that probably won't get coded in any time soon" rather than "...I'm tired of people asking me about blah blah blah, I'm not going to put it in and if you don't like it, go edit Quake3..." That's a direct quote by the way. So why am I complaining? Because of my own bad experiences, NOT because I'm not getting what I want. I'm VERY happy with what OpenGL Legacy offers. All I want are little Fraggle script tweaks, and when I ask about them, the Legacy team is always nice (and prompt) in replying.

Guess it's just some coders are assholes, hey Aardappel? :p I'm not bitching about not getting what I want SoM, just about how some of you CLAIM to do this for us, then treat everyone but your little inner circle like shit. Yeah, that'll build a user base.... If someone asks you about a feature you don't have or don't ever intent to put in, either be civil in your reply or don't reply at all. Maybe then there wouldn't be so many pissed off people like me.

Agreed. This whole debate would never have started if the Legacy team (or one person) had taken a more mature attitude right from the start. If you can't fix bugs in XP because none of the coders has XP, fine. But if you're going to be bitter about listening to complaints and suggestions, then just sit back and absorb the flames because they'll be coming at you hot and heavy.

Hurdler has also said that another big reason for not doing it is he doesn't have XP, and there's a lot of other stuff on the to-do list.

Go Legacy team!

prod prod prod....

"XP is for people who have absolutely no interest in any legacy anything"

Of course not, since Legacy doesn't support XP :)