Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

Paul Jaquays Leaves id

Almost five years to the day after joining id Software, level designer Paul Jaquays has updated his .plan one last time with the sad news that he's leaving our favorite FPS-making company. Here's part of his message:

After five years of making first person shooters like Quake2, Quake III Arena, and Quake III: Team Arena, I’ve come to the realization that my heart just isn’t in it any more. For this reason, I’ve decided to make a slight shift in career direction and seek other design and development challenges. I have accepted a position with Ensemble Studios (the creators of the Age of Empires series and Age of Mythology) here in Dallas, and will be taking up my new duties with them in short order. I’m excited about the new job and I understand that the entire team there is excited to have me come on board.

Hmm, isn't Ensemble where Sandy Petersen works? In any event, let's all give a big farewell to Paul Jaquays and thank him for his five years of hard work. Thanks Mormegil.

What. 1997-2002. Umm, those were Quake years. Sorry mate, I don't quite care for Quake. This be Quake news.

should have stayed and enjoyed the new doom year first before he leaves

I'd rather not have him on the team if he obviously dislikes doing that type of game designing, then he wouldn't care much for it and do a half ass job since it no longer appeals to him.

Guest MrMGA

Am I supposed to get teary-eyed about this or something? Personally, I don't give a rat's ass.

This guy wasn't involved in Doom or Doom2, so what does it matter.

The reason why you frads should care is that he was probably supposed to design some of DOOM 3's levels.

... and he probably already has put a great deal of work into Doom 3.

Guest Pirx

...but i think it's better than basically working on someone other's game, without having the nostalgia for it.

>>I assume it was a joke, but you could still spell the name right.<<

Uh? Where's the joke? Sandy works at Ensemble (at least last time I checked) and his last name is "Petersen".

Good luck to Jaquays though! He may not score high on the Doom nostalgia factor, but he sure knows how to paint a Dragon. Anybody see the Dragon Mountain module for D&D that he did? Goo...

(98.3% done...)

Oh, and Paul's "city" maps for Quake 2 were my favorites in the game. Remember the ones with the red carpet running up the stairs everywhere... Great atmosphere!