Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest cocoon

the bfg voting booth

Guest cocoon

I felt a little bit limited on that poll which is up at dw's mainpage now... It said "the best" but I seriously do not know how to judge them all.. Coolest is a bit easier, doom beta.

If we had them all, with the same physics as in their respective game, in the same game it would be easier. Comparing between engines.. tough. Or does "best" simply mean "most deadly"?

well I haven't seen the beta one, but most deadly would have to be the Quake2 one, it can blow away a rom full, the Quake3A one can't be far off with the rapid firing BFG which only needs 1 or 2 hits to kill someone, but no splash damage. The original doom/doom2 BFG is nice, but lacks the power to bring a whole room down

The beta BFG is on SMMU. Under weapons options toggle BFG.

And what do you mean, the doom/doom2 BFG lacks the power to bring a whole room down? Try map 08 of doom2, walk into the imp room with a BFG, see how many you can take down in one shot.

When I say "best" I mean exactly that... how you choose to interpret that term is up to me. Coolest? Most powerful? Best-looking? I dunno, it's up to you...

Personally, after using the regular BFG for years on end, the DOOM beta BFG is a lot more fun. That's what I voted for.

I disagree... the beta BFG sucks, I'm glad they changed it. It's nowhere as powerful, I hate weapons that continue firing after you let go of the trigger (goddamn Shotcycler in Daikatana), and worst of all, there's no real feedback on the gun... it just feels as if all these fireballs are falling out of the BFG as if you were dumping out a can of Pringles.

Hyena said:

The beta BFG is on SMMU. Under weapons options toggle BFG.

And what do you mean, the doom/doom2 BFG lacks the power to bring a whole room down? Try map 08 of doom2, walk into the imp room with a BFG, see how many you can take down in one shot.

no not imps, imps are weak, I mean real players, in MP...

That makes no sense! If you could kill a whole bunch of deathmatch opponents in one shot, the game would be too one-sided.

A lot of people get annoyed when people "camp". What hope does everyone else have once the first guy gets to the BFG?

Guest Daggah

IMO, the Q3 one is the worst BFG I've ever seen...it's a rapid-fire rocket launcher. Spam-gun if I've ever seen one...at least the DOOM bfg requires some semblance of skill to be truly useful.

Hyena said:

That makes no sense! If you could kill a whole bunch of deathmatch opponents in one shot, the game would be too one-sided.

A lot of people get annoyed when people "camp". What hope does everyone else have once the first guy gets to the BFG?

Yeah damnit. hm, cant wait for my face =]. Anyways, Yes, the bfg from doom can paint the walls so to speak, but why the hell would you want to dm a guy who can sit and wait and kill you with one button?

Guest cocoon
Linguica said:

I disagree... the beta BFG sucks, I'm glad they changed it. It's nowhere as powerful, I hate weapons that continue firing after you let go of the trigger (goddamn Shotcycler in Daikatana), and worst of all, there's no real feedback on the gun... it just feels as if all these fireballs are falling out of the BFG as if you were dumping out a can of Pringles.

I still wonder how the beta version would work out in a dm game.. Real weird i suppose

Hyena said:

I never had a problem with people getting the BFG. Just run behind them and the shot won't affect you. I get taken out by rockets twice as much as BFG shots.

I know. I was referring to Gavin's comment, saying that the BFG is not powerful enough!?

Hey, Mantra, like my new icon?

Like mine, look, the cows takin a shit heh <P><FONT SIZE=1>[this message was edited by Mantra on Sat 6 May 09:29]</FONT>

Hyena said:

Have you even played Quake2 in multiplayer. VERY few levels have the BFG10K, and even then it takes over 2 minutes to respawn due to it's power.

Guest pix
Mantra said:

Yeah damnit. hm, cant wait for my face =]. Anyways, Yes, the bfg from doom can paint the walls so to speak, but why the hell would you want to dm a guy who can sit and wait and kill you with one button?

The classic is the coolest ;-) Who cares about power, just make each ball 10x more powerful...the weapon power is simply a # in the code...who the f*** care about some # in the code? It's the idea that kicks ass!