Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Peter Heinemann

Will doomnation come back or not?

Aaah,
after reading all the messages about Doomnation, it is still not clear to me if Doomnation and its hosted sites will come back or not. Maybe this is because of my lousy english (I am from Germany), but I really miss an update of news about Doomnation in Doomworlds news-section. Personally I do not think, that Doomnation was/is an "shitload of crap" as I read in one Forum-posting. It held many important sites, and its loss would be hard to take for the Doom-community. I do not think it would be a good idea to concentrate all Doom-sites to one server.

Well, the question is, will frag.com come back or not? That's the key.. They've got a lot more incentive to fix the problem when frag.com and all hosted sites are down!! It's different when DoomNation forums are down. They said they'd put every effort into fixing that problem, but I'll bet what's really going through their minds was "Oh, who cares??" ... It's much different this time, though.. ;)

Well Frag.com hosts DoomNation and we're waiting for them to change servers... the DN forums? Who gives a crap, they were all garbage.

Hope they will never come back...cause every byte received from that site gives you the feeling your browser is a toilet where you can watch the shit flushing trough.

Hey King what do you have against Doomnation? Be specific.
I like it fine.

Afterglow said:

Well Frag.com hosts DoomNation and we're waiting for them to change servers... the DN forums? Who gives a crap, they were all garbage.

I think Doomnation should replace the old forums with ones like the ones here at Doomworld.

Well I, and some other ppl believe that 3 weeks ago Linguica went on a secret mission and sabatoged the frag.com server where Doomnation was hosted. Not a bad plan Ling, now all those doomnation fans come here. HAHA

If I knew, I would say something, but since I don't, I can't. Get it? Good.

stphrz said:

I think Doomnation should replace the old forums with ones like the ones here at Doomworld.

Oh, ha, yeah, right.. It's just essential that we have another one, right?

Guest AFTERSHOCK
KING ELVIS said:

Hope they will never come back...cause every byte received from that site gives you the feeling your browser is a toilet where you can watch the shit flushing trough.

I read both sites, and they often complement each other, each often has news that the other does not. I have missed not having DN around and I hope that it gets back soon.

If you don't like DN, then don't go to the site, but please don't make stupid insulting comments like that. Grow up.

AFTERSHOCK

stphrz said:

No way dude, the DoomNation forums were 3 times more navigable than these ones.

No, he's right. The frames were a big plus. It would be nice to have frames on these forums..

stphrz said:

Are you insane? :)

Of course, it's not like I'm working on TI *just* as a mapper and reviewer ;) But seriously, everything on the DN forums was so well laid out. This, the thread indentation hardly works, you have to go through enough pages to check all the posts and memorize the # of posts in each category to tell new messages the next time you come back. The "reply" and "updated" buttons are hardly ever in-sync. And that god damn 2 minutes you have to wait between posting messages.

BEAT THAT!! hehe.

But Lüt, these forums just look so much nicer. You get to have your own face and signature, which adds a little personal touch to your posts. You get those little smiley guy icons....um, the forum software is free. You don't have to scroll fifty miles sideways to see all the replies :) Only registered users can post, which helps keep out the rif raff -not always though ;).
There's a search feature which is handy to find replies to posts you have made...blablablablabla.... :)

stphrz said:

Hey King what do you have against Doomnation? Be specific.
I like it fine.

I'm just a litte bit angry, cause I have send in news to DN 'bout my frontend, 4 or 5 times, they don't post it - anyway.
I've send same news to DoomWorld and DoomShack they've posted it - fast. So what's the matter ? Are they to distinguished ?

Um, you sent in mail to me TWICE, not four or five times, and both times I tried to access the page but I got a 404.

I dunno about DW or DS, but if I get mail I actually look at the site and read it before I go and paste the mail they sent. If I can't get to it, then I don't post any news.

It's how I work(ed).

OK Cyb. I understand.

I had just wondered about, because DN was the only that DON'T post any news about that. If you got a 404, allright...
...but thinked about to drop me a mail ?
I'm sorry about posting those hard words about DN...it's content is allright, but what would you think if all the other post it, exept DN (note: it was the same email, just different receivers)
I'm wondering also about a 404, because my webspace provider is pretty stable and I have never experienced a 404 before.
However, I don't wanna think about that anymore.
You can post news about that when your site will be back o:-)
or let you kick directly to the king, try it out and write me some comments about that,

I WILL RECEIVE SOME COMMENTS FROM ALL THE DOOMERS OUT THERE !

...because how should I go foreward in development when noboobie cares about my work, I dont't think its too bad to get some acknowledgement. The Doom community is really small and I think the same way as Fanatic do. Here is what you can read on his site http://www.doomworld.com/fanatic / :

..."I don't know when this happened, but at some point, the 'DOOM community' decided that it's alright to bash the shit out of a project. Look at what people say about REoL and his maps. I don't think anyone else takes as much shit as he does, yet he continues to produce maps for everyone that hates him. Scan through the comments at DOOM World for proof. With such a small group of people that just like DOOM, you'd figure we would be more receptive towards each others creativity..."

We should all REALLY think about that, REALLY

Peace.

The King

Yeah, that was about the first thing I noticed when browsing thru doomworld the first time, Many people here ain't that friendly. In the comments thread words like "you" or "it" had a tendensy to be combined with "suck" or something similar. The comments about covert ops was about the worst thing i've read for along time :o)

The news-comments threads have move into the forums with the same kind of fucked up attitude, compare the atmosphere of the forums here at doomworld with for instance the atmostphere of zdoom's forum, zdoom's forum is alot more friendly, isn't it? :o)

KING ELVIS said:

Yes, I know, but remember that first you said that DN should go down the toilet, and then you had to be 'shaken' to be clearer (thus telling why you were upset in relation to DN). I see that this happens quite often. The REoL thing, for example; it started cause the guy posted those horrible pics (and it was good that that was taken care of), but then some guys start flaming him in relation to his maps, his ego, his IQ, or whatever. One may or may not like the maps (but why be upset about it?). And his ego (if there is such a thing; actually people SHOULD be proud of themselves, not the opposite), WTF? If you (not you Elvis, I mean in general) are upset about something, go to the source, and be clear about it (and what).

Guest David A
bitstate said:

Yeah, that was about the first thing I noticed when browsing thru doomworld the first time, Many people here ain't that friendly. In the comments thread words like "you" or "it" had a tendensy to be combined with "suck" or something similar. The comments about covert ops was about the worst thing i've read for along time :o)

The news-comments threads have move into the forums with the same kind of fucked up attitude, compare the atmosphere of the forums here at doomworld with for instance the atmostphere of zdoom's forum, zdoom's forum is alot more friendly, isn't it? :o)

Fiffy has a LONG history of annoyances... You shoulda been here for prower's and especially Recidivus' email discussions with him.

"REoL TOUGH: 6 years, and keeps on going...."

GavinJCD said:

Well I, and some other ppl believe that 3 weeks ago Linguica went on a secret mission and sabatoged the frag.com server where Doomnation was hosted. Not a bad plan Ling, now all those doomnation fans come here. HAHA

I'll take this one, Linguica.

Gavin, GET OFF MY INTERNET!

Okay, then, next question;

If the server doesn't come back up soon, will doomnation be moving to a different server?