Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest zyvgjc

Recording music for my wads

Guest zyvgjc

I want to record music from my CDs so that I can put them in my wads. The problem with Sound Recorder that comes with Windows is that you can record music for one minute only. Does anyone know of any music recorders that can record longer than that? Also, how do I place these music files into my levels?

Oh my god... how are you planning on putting them into a WAD? Like a WAV in the background? That will be one massive download. But as for recording CD to WAV... Winamp has a setting to output stuff to a WAV file, and I am sure that most other sound utilities (barring Sound Recorder... get something better) do too.

I didn't know you could put WAVs in a WAD. That sounds like a terrible idea.. One song would be 20MB minumim.. Well, if it's for your own personal use, then that doesn't sound like a problem.

Still, Windows Sound Recorder.. My god, that is one of the most useless, pointless programs ever written. Download a free program like Soundforge, Goldwave, or Wavestudio. They're all pretty good. I think Goldwave is the most feature-rich, though..

Oh, and it's evident that you don't really know what you're doing. If you using regular doom2.exe or Doom95, then you can't put CD music or WAV files in a WAD. All you can do is put MIDI files in. First you have to convert them to MUS files using midi2mus.exe, then stick them in the WAD using a program like NWTPro. That's all..

Guest Templar

Ok yeah as they said you couldn't put a wav in the background for music, but if you want to record music from your cd then you should record it in mp3 format. I recommend you get realjukebox, pretty big dl but its free. Then you can record entire songs for about 3mb. Heh I have all my Cd's recorded on my HD so I can put them all in one giant playlist without having to swap cds around.

Although some of the responses you've got so far gives the impression that what you are about to do is impossible, it really isn't.

mp3 is the way to go to acomplish what you want, and some source ports support embedded mp3's in the wad files (i know atleast zdoom does, but probably allso dosdoom / legacy /edge ... whait a minute qdoom is using mp3's, edge deffinive has to support mp3's :o)

Go to www.maz-sound.com , to the cd grabbers sektion and get cdextractor (or whatever it's name is), it's freeware and comes with the lame encoder (allso freeware). Then it just is to put the cd in the drive, click on the extract button, and you should have a bunbch of mp3's

Another way is to get MusicMatch 5, it's free version comes with the full fraunhofer encoder(!) witch is the best encoder on the market now. But MusicMatch is a bigger download, and you probably must buy it to extract cd music :o)

To the mp3' into wad, check out the threads at the zdoom forum, I think i've written there somewhere about how to get .it and .xm files into wads, just exactly the same with your mp3's and all should be fine :o)