• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Argh!

Should Doom3D:Arena still be made?

Guest Argh!

Okay, here's the situation...

I had almost finished the design docs for the newest incarnation of Doom3D... a Quake3A multiplayer mod: Doom3D:Arena. For the first time in a long time I had full faith that this version would actually be completed. But now id has announced they are making an official sequel to Doom. I'm probably the only person unhappy to hear such an announcement. Doom3D means a lot to me, and this could be the nail in its coffin. I'm posting this message to get some feedback on the subject.

Some planned features of Doom3D:Arena:
* supports all Q3 gametypes (FFA DM, team DM, tourney, CTF), and possibly new ones
* all new maps in classic Doom themes
* Doom weapons and items
* many Doom soldier player models/skins, highly customizable
* easily configurable gameplay options (make things more/less Doom-like)
* everything will take full advantage of Q3-engine enhancements

Several very talented individuals have already expressed interest in helping out, including some professional developers. This has the potential to be a very fun, professional-quality mod. On the pro side, Doom3D:Arena would be finished way before id's game. Doom3D would be entirely multiplayer (or with bots), and id is going back to a traditional SP focus. I think Doom3D would only help enhance the enthusiasm for a new Doom game. On the con side, id might just not appreciate that, and the potential for "foxing" could be increased now. I'd hate to keep working so hard on something, just to have it squashed.

So, I'd really appreciate your opinions on this. Should Doom3D:Arena still be made?

Guest KAoS

I think it would be great to do. Doom would look excellent with the Quake 3 engine and I don't think anyone could possibly disagree. id also said the next Doom would be single player and I would like to finally be able to play without any crashes or crazy error messages..

Guest LordUnum

No doubt about it in my mind it should be done. Your screenshots
are the ultimate eye-candy, and show that plenty of effort, and ingenuity has gone into the project already. I am a sometime Quake 3 player myself. No die-hard, at least, not yet. :-) But I do think many people, including myself, would be very interested in your finished work, and in a strange way, maybe even more so, with the recent news, imminent press coverage, and all....

Just wonder what/if any legalities there'll be.... *BUT* on the positive side, wouldn't id really be interested in the honest-to-goodness sweet, "Doomy" stuff you're cookin' up? Your work would be a great preview of what'd be possible with the new Doom. And IMHO, a good hook (getting the Quake faithful involved in the MUCH-revived Doom community, perhaps?). Maybe a paycheck, or a job for you all? Hehe

Anyways, id's next *BIG* thing won't be coming down the pipes for quite awhile. :-)

Guest DooM Wyvern

Since id's incarnation of DooM won't be out for quite some time, why NOT finish it? I was impressed by the screenies a LONG time ago, so I say GO FOR IT! :D

*sob* I want SP!!!! Is there any chance that any of the Quake1/2 work will be released - it looked sooo cool...
Yeah, I'm kind of biased against DM. There's not much of a Doom community here and ping times to the US/UK from Australia kind of make netplay unfeasible. I agree with the whole "ultimate eye candy" though.. I really, really, REALLY want to run through those levels I've seen the screehshots of.

KAoS said:

I think it would be great to do. Doom would look excellent with the Quake 3 engine and I don't think anyone could possibly disagree. id also said the next Doom would be single player and I would like to finally be able to play without any crashes or crazy error messages..

hiya.

Yes...if you enjoy making it.
No...if you are doing it for some other reason other than fun and a love for the game.
Maybe...but release the 'stuff' (textures/models/maps/etc) to the masses if you don't really care one way or the other.

^_^

Guest Firebrandt

I say you can never have enough DOOM!
Go for it. =)

I don't think you should stop unless Carmack (or id) comes over and says "hey, man, stop that you're doing!" Especially if you can finish it before id's new DOOM is out. Even if what they do is "better" than what you do, if you feel what you're doing is a fine mod it'll still be played. Mods and commercial things are not the same thing, IMO (and don't necessarily "overlap").

Guest Cheetah

Well lets see...should Doom3Arena still be made? Well to sum it up..if it isn't made I think I'd HAVE TO F*CKING KILL YOU! DooM3d's screenshots f*cking blew my mind when I saw them and I was VERY dissapointed when the project seemed to vainsh and none of those levels were released. DooM3d is BY FAR the BEST idea of a mod EVER! If DooM3Arena don't come out I WILL FIND YOU and I will KILL YOU! There's no doubt in my mind that if the project is started and finished you will be a F*CKING GAME GOD! So I guess...in conclusion my answer is yes.

Guest IcarusWing

Yes - it'll be out way before the new Doom game which we can't realistically expect for about a year and a half, and it looks pretty damn cool.

Guest The Vicar

Oh, absolutely. Since id just announced the new project yesterday, that means we'll be waiting until November of 2001 before we get it. You know the story, "It'll be finished when it's finished."

I want to see what the QIII engine does for Doom. Personally, I loved Quake, but it's just a little too f**king slow for me. I just bought a copy of Doom II because I missed the thing that FPS games are lacking these days; speed! The QIII engine is pretty fast, so it should be a great project.

The Vicar

Guest Death Mage

All I can say is.. the more doom, the merrier.

Guest Jabba

It has been raised on several places on the net, that DOOM without Romero and Hall will Not be DOOM. Furthermore, Cloud AND Adrian Carmack BOTH were against the making of DOOM as the next game. Both id Artists making all the art - without wanting to do it? 'Nuff said.

It will be shiny like Carmack likes it; and it'll be cool - of course. But unless id hires DOOM fanatic artists to the team (and I don't think they're hiring) - it will not be DOOM.

You, judging by the screenshots, will make DOOM. So, yes. By all means!

Guest Snowman

Hell yeah! Be sure you don't copy and id artwork or models or anything and you should be fine. Create your own "doomy" textures and skins, use the existing Doom model, etc. They are concerned with unauthorized use of copyrighted material, not taking away from their next game (which will be a huge success no matter how Doom3D turns out). I contacted id Software about several projects I worked on a while ago, and the defining line was if I try to distribute any original id material, it would not be allowed.

Guest Dieflash

Doom3d:Arena has every right to be finished! For one thing ID software isn't going to be releasing this product any time soon, and I mean a long time (2 years minimum)! And you have spent so much time and effort into the development of this conversion so why not finish to get the public's reaction, it would be large indeed.

Guest Death Mage

However... you all remember what happened to Generations, right? I hope that doesn't happen here...

Guest Teyeger

Perhaps you should ask id about this one. It seems as though everyone is concerned about the legality of this mod, so emailing id software would probably be the best idea. Assuming you don't use any of their models, graphics, etc. I'm sure it'll be ok with them. And if it is, I sure as hell want to see it completed!

Guest kingpin11

Absolutely positively!!! And I mean positively!!! Looks great - aught to play great and make for some good fun. if you are thinking you won't release it to the general public, at least e-mail me what you got, cause I want it!!!! My e-mail is jm.smith@ictinc.com. thanks big time!

Guest Jabba

I'm positive id Software will let him do this project. Just looked at the Generations site - it has a link there to http://sog.telefragged.com , something called SOG; from what I can tell it's a legal ver of Generations - and if the screenshots are in sync with id Software's approval - then Doom3D: Arena should be in the clear.

Guest JakeRR

Oh man... I see no reason to not make doom3d arena. id's game is years off, quake 3 is here now. I've been visiting the doom3d page for about a year now, starting with the sad news last august... and now updates and talk of the mod picking back up again! Joy joy... but then this, this thread! Talk of stopping before even starting!

I suggest that if you are doing this mod for fun you should get to it and make Doom3D: Arena, and if you dont, the work done so far for Doom 3D quake 2 edition has already proven to me that a fully realized 3d game in the doom universe is fully possible despite all these doubts that have been all over sites lately. When Carmack posted his .plan update about a new doom the first thing that came to mind was Doom3D (although I didnt check the doom3d page at the time. heh :)

I hope that wasn't too ramblish and made some sense.

Guest bjob

I think you should go ahead with the project anyways.

But I really think you should trash the whole multiplayer idea, and make it mainly SP, or at least bots that look like, and behave as the doom monsters would, and give them specific spawning posts, and patrol areas, so it would feel and play like doom in nightmare mode.

Guest ScarFace
pming said:

hiya.

Yes...if you enjoy making it.
No...if you are doing it for some other reason other than fun and a love for the game.
Maybe...but release the 'stuff' (textures/models/maps/etc) to the masses if you don't really care one way or the other.

^_^

If you don't want your mod to get shut down, take it UNDERGROUND. Either don't put up a website at all; have a members-only controlled-access site with a password that changes every week (and don't refer to the site's real contents at all on the login page or in the URL!!!! (use something ambigous, like a team name)); or have the site hosted in a country with very loose or no copyright laws, and with a host that won't pull sites, or give anyone info on the site's owner if subpoenaed (the new Sealand data haven would be good for this), and use anonymous nicknames/aliases for yourself and all of your team members.

By all means, DO NOT GO AROUND PIMPING THIS MOD!!!! The Doom TC for Half-Life was recently foxed by GT Interactive (publishers of Doom) as soon as they heard about it.

Oh, and I would really prefer if this mod had REAL single-player support, not just botmatch.

Guest Toad

Yes.. Yes.. Yes..
For Years I have been programming, and when DOOM first came out it was the best MULTIPLAYER game on earth. I have created mods for DOOM & DOOM2, Quake, Quake2, and now Q3A. I would LOVE to see DOOM3D still be made. I have been visiting planetquake/doom3d since the beginning of time and I really hope Tim Wright or whoever is in charge of Doom3D goes on with SP and MultiPlayer. IF there is anything I can help. Please e-mail me...
cellyson@hotmail.com (If it has a CPU I can do anything.)

If Doom3D will have at least bots for SP I might go and buy Q3A just to play it!

Guest Sunis

Argh! You remeber the in the old days when all of us in the Doom3D team sat in #doom3d on Efnet chatting and making the "new" doom and really felt like made something no one never done with doom before? that feeling i had back then can i probably never get back by helping out on Doom3D again but i sure like to play what's released =)
so i say ID will surley don't have any problems now because they didn't had any back then i belive that when you lead it, it will be a great TC ,. so go for it man =)

-[Sunis]-

Guest ShamRock

Yes.

Do it for Jim.. and me you bastard

And everyone else (in no particular order)
Chucks.. Wolfen.. Groo.. Chickenator.. Memento.. Quickman.. That guy with the snake related name (damn it's been too long.. I've forgotten most everyone)
And I'd say for everyone else from COOP just because we rocked and now we've all gone our seperate ways.. Dulorn.. GrimQuaker.. and anyone else who I can't think of but I know were important.

Whoever is involved now should know it's past and how we all came together.
And it should be completed because it deserves to be.. since I can't think of any project that's had so much work been done on but never anything ever come from it in existence ;)

For I still complain when anyone uses your name in vein Argh!

So do it
or I'll hunt you down and kick your ass in DM like I used to!

Guest SolidSteel

Please tell me the SP one is still being worked on.Id hate to have to start killing people and collecting body parts and making a really cool art peice with them.....oopps got a bit off the subject there.Iv been trying to get doom to run its best with zdoom and the md2 models and its sweet but a quake version with new levels would be so much sweeter