Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

Emulators and Roms

So, post your thoughts on Emulators and Roms.
Personally, I think they are a good and great way to go back into gaming's past and relive some of the very best games ever made (Mario, Megaman, Metroid, Contra, etc.).

I liked bleem (PSX) coz you could it can emulate your mouse for port two. and as such, I can play Aliens Resurrection like half life. I just wish there was some why I could get my dirty little hands on the full version. They are not selling it any more. And for god sake if you have a cracked version DO NOT POST IT OR ANY LINKS TO IT. I will not be punished for the stupidly of others.

BTW, does ANYONE ever pay any attention to the stipulation on most Romz sites that says that if you don't have the original game you've gotta delete after 24 hours have gone by?

DooMBoy said:

BTW, does ANYONE ever pay any attention to the stipulation on most Romz sites that says that if you don't have the original game you've gotta delete after 24 hours have gone by?

Ya most romz sites have that warning, but according to the big game companies, that is a completely false statement and any possession of one of their games in rom form is illegal. But oh well :)

I have no problems with roms. but only under certain conditions. I have no problem with it if it's a game or such that the big commpanies are no longer making a profit on (bubble bobble, FF6, etc.) but say.... if it were a ROM of Final Fantasy 9? no. I wouldn't touch it. sony still makes good money off of it.

Roms are cool. The only roms I have are Metal Slug - Metal Slug 4. Yup, I got all of them. It's a great series. Sure hope they make another one. To stay on topic though, the only reason why I have those roms is because not too many places have those games.

Psyonisis said:

any possession of one of their games in rom form is illegal

Well of course.

Roms are a brilliant idea. There is no "library" of games and without roms many old games and maybe even systems would eventually dissapear from existence.

i love roms yet nothing beat sthe original system, unless new features are added(and the game remains stable) i love booting up the old tandy and the 486, i love useing the nintindo and the sega. the atarie is fun too, good i loved that thing

Yeah if we keep talking about this, we'll probably be banned or warned...but yeah Roms are good cause you can relive some of your old games you used to play, but if the system fucked up or something...

And tht bullshit about "it's ok to download for 24 hours but then you have to delete it" is like saying "it's ok to steal a car for 24 as long as you get rid of it later"

Heh.

Nuno Correia said:

Well of course.

I meant that it's not legal for 24 hours then illegal

there are strange laws with software. however i dont think many of these companies care if it is a game they no longer make for a no longer made system. its like saying "i own the copyright to this book, but i aint gonna publish it" other than being selfish it would just be dumb and not worth the effort. all the roms i have are for older systems like SNES, NES, genisis, and atari

ROMs are great because its worthless to spend $300 on something you will use maybe twice a year.

The thing I like about ROMs is that you can play games that you would normally not be able to play. For instance, games like Terranigma and the english translation of Final Fantasy 5...

Anybody who sits down, hashes out the complete English translation of a Japanese console RPG, then cracks open the ROM to reprogram the text characters and apply the translation by hand is either totally commited to their cause and their fans, or an utter lunatic. Or both. In either case, God bless 'em.

IMJack said:

Anybody who sits down, hashes out the complete English translation of a Japanese console RPG, then cracks open the ROM to reprogram the text characters and apply the translation by hand is either totally commited to their cause and their fans, or an utter lunatic. Or both. In either case, God bless 'em.

God bless the guys who translated Seiken Desentu 3 (aka Secret Of Mana 2) for doing what the ball-busters at Square coundn't (Like, kind of let OUR PART OF THE FUCKING WORLD PLAY THEIR QUALITY SOFTWARE)

EDIT: Oh, and FuSoYa (The d00d who did that SMW editor I showed you) has also done some code for translations (CODE! NOT TRANSLATING!) and even shrunk the font in the original Mana, and reformatted the text

I think video game emulation is great.

It's been the spark of so much creativity for amatures and it's even gotten a fair deal of recognition in the professional world. Plus I love playing all my old favorite games.

And just like with mp3s, if I really like the game and have the ROM, I will still buy the cart when I can afford it.

I also agree that it's not fair to publishers to possess an emulated version of a game that is still being made and sold. I only have the classics, but boy do I have a lot of them! My emulation directory is about 3gb!