Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest spacedog

Has everyone built maps?

Guest spacedog

i was thinking the other day, and it occurred to me that probably everyone still playing doom nowadays has at least tried to build their own maps, i built a couple and lost all but one in a hard drive meltdown. So has anyone never bothered making a map?

Guest Sethsez

I've made some maps, but they were pretty bad, so I just stopped. Now I make maps for Theif using its editor, but I still can't make a decent Doom map! Oh well, I guess I'll just be a player...

Guest Kracov

actually, i made some great Quake maps a while ago with worldcraft. its a easy program once you learn a few things. and man, i love the traps! dang, i hope there will be a worldcraft for doom... wait... i never investigated that! later, everyone!

Well i've made a few but most have been lost in the sands of time (or various H/D deaths) but i have 1 still and im working on a new one.

When I fist started mapping levels out for doom, I soon discovered how hard it would be. I tried to pull off a decent map in a few hours. I guess it helped that I had no idea how tags worked. Needless to say it was very very bad. But that didnt stop me, I spent a few months on one and It came out great. I decided to stick with it and joined last day on earth.

From there Ive discovered patience beyond what I thought I could stand. :)

Guest spacedog
Sethsez said:

I've made some maps, but they were pretty bad, so I just stopped. Now I make maps for Theif using its editor, but I still can't make a decent Doom map! Oh well, I guess I'll just be a player...

well, i've spent almost 2 years on one map, and it'll take a little longer now that i decided to add boom features.
when i started it took me a week to figure out how to make a working teleporter........

I am making one right now - and it is absolutely the largest one I have ever made. It takes 17-20 seconds to compile in zennode, and my prevoius levels took perhaps three seconds :)

I remember when I first got DEU2, my first editor. I had not experinence in DooM editing, and no tutorial. I'd to teach everything myself, and I guess you can imagine how my first maps looked like :) Luckily I had no internet connection in these days, so I spared the world with them.
I've done 7 "quality" maps now, 5 of them are released at my page (www.doomhq.com/tarin). It's nice to see how my skills are growing :)