Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mewse

blah

#doomroom is run by a certain group of like minded individuals, including myself. If you don't like it, then I'd encourage you not to participate, because that's not good for anybody. As for "unfair treatment", the operators in #doomroom have no responsibility to the doom community, they aren't getting paid, and they aren't hurting anyones rights by banning them. It's like this message board, your posts can and will be deleted on a whim of the webmaster. If you want free speech, start your own page. If your opinions are worthwhile and interesting, people will read them there. If you want a chatroom free of the "oppressive" operators of #doomroom, start your own or go to a different one such as #csdoom. Participating in #doomroom isn't a right, it's a priviledge, if you don't like it, go away.

Then I wish Ling would take the invitation to "Come chat about Doom" off Doomworld's main page. It's obvious only select people are really welcome in #doomroom. Make it clear to everyone just who and who is not a member of this club. That way when someone new logs on they won't have any illusions about getting treated with anything resembling respect.

Huh, I very much doubt that you are all "like minded individuals." In the end, people will certainly go there only if they like it. They are certainly going to have to check it out first, and it's no wonder if they state their opinions about it afterwards. The part in your post about "no responsability to the DOOM community" is rather strange. We are all responsible for what we do, and if I'm not mistaken #doomroom is part of the DOOM community. I hope there are only a few people that believe that responsibility comes only when you're being paid (and will suppose that that part of your post was some kind of weird momentary mewsing). And about the "privilege" part, do we have to say "thanks" each time we log in? By no means does this mean that the people running #doomroom have to cater to other peoples expectations, but why be so testy? In the end it only brings forth stupid flame wars, and that the worst in us as virtual beings.

Stphrz said:

Then I wish Ling would take the invitation to "Come chat about Doom" off Doomworld's main page. It's obvious only select people are really welcome in #doomroom.

...Of course, Doomworld's jIRC chat program also allows you to join channels such as #csDoom, not just #doomroom.

Stphrz said:

Then I wish Ling would take the invitation to "Come chat about Doom" off Doomworld's main page. It's obvious only select people are really welcome in #doomroom. Make it clear to everyone just who and who is not a member of this club. That way when someone new logs on they won't have any illusions about getting treated with anything resembling respect.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Odd how they kicked Prower off news for similar behavior a while back yet put up with this. Methinks a decline in DW's "professional" standards has come about.

Not that I'm arguing any decisions here, just making an observation.

Haha, talk about an attitude problem. You think you're so damned tough in your fake chat room. Well good for you. Unfortunately no one gives a damn.

There are some friendly people in #doomroom. Or at least there used to be, I haven't been there for 6 months or so.

Stphrz said:

I disagree that only a certain group of people are welcome there. But some are more welcome than others. I'm no veteran member of the alkali.org clique, and I'm not having any problems in there.

Guest fod_vile
Stphrz said:

Thankfully I see the pointer to #doomroom has now been replaced with #doomworld perhaps the new members of the doom community will now be treated with respect (at least until they prove otherwise) which is more than they were ever allowed in #doomroom

Guest fod_vile
Mordeth said:

...Of course, Doomworld's jIRC chat program also allows you to join channels such as #csDoom, not just #doomroom.

Well, it does not allow access to #csdoom now since the #doomroom geek took it over, Mystican I thought you may have grown up by now, seems I am sadly wrong

Myk said:

Huh, I very much doubt that you are all "like minded individuals." In the end, people will certainly go there only if they like it. They are certainly going to have to check it out first, and it's no wonder if they state their opinions about it afterwards. The part in your post about "no responsability to the DOOM community" is rather strange. We are all responsible for what we do, and if I'm not mistaken #doomroom is part of the DOOM community. I hope there are only a few people that believe that responsibility comes only when you're being paid (and will suppose that that part of your post was some kind of weird momentary mewsing). And about the "privilege" part, do we have to say "thanks" each time we log in? By no means does this mean that the people running #doomroom have to cater to other peoples expectations, but why be so testy? In the end it only brings forth stupid flame wars, and that the worst in us as virtual beings.

When I said that we are like minded individuals, I didn't mean to imply we are clones of each other.

We aren't responsible to the Doom community. We don't owe the community anything, we don't have to answer to anything. The only informal obligations we may have is to our friends in the Doom community. Many of us don't even consider ourselves members of the "Doom community" anymore.

> "And about the "privilege" part, do we have to say "thanks" each time we log in?"
No, of course, this would be ridiculous. But, noone has ever expressed any gratitude over the operator's efforts in maintaining the channel. I spend money on two different shell accounts which I run bots from, and I spend countless hours trying to make the channel a better place, noone will ever thank me, and I don't expect them to, because in return for my responsibilities to the channel, I also have the priviledge of controlling the channel. Talking in #doomroom IS a priviledge, one which I have the ability to revoke from many people.

Notice I said I have a responsibility to the channel, the channel is a separate entity from the Doom community, and responsibility to the channel does not imply responsibility to the community. I hate adding legalese to my arguments.

I did enjoy reading your comment, which leads me to believe that flamewars can also bring out the good in a community. Thanks.

Chief said:

Haha, talk about an attitude problem. You think you're so damned tough in your fake chat room. Well good for you. Unfortunately no one gives a damn.

There are some friendly people in #doomroom. Or at least there used to be, I haven't been there for 6 months or so.

I'm very tough. Ph33r the pink fish.

Chief said:

What are you talking about fake chat room? Are you the chief from doom millennium?

Yeah, that's me.

Fake as in it's not the same as interacting in real life. No one can kick their arse in a chatroom so they do stuff they wouldn't normally dare to do.