Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zark

PWADs that stick out in your mind

OK, think about this carefully. What are some of your favourite PWAD of all time? I don't mean design-wise, or whether it was actually any good, technically. Which PWAD sticks out in your mind from during all your years of playing Doom, for whatever reason?

Here are a few of mine:
uacdead.wad: *Very* neat level. Great weapon/ammo/enemy balance, great encounters, and nice architecture. Grab it if you can :)
elements.wad: A few nice levels, although a bit simplistic and perhaps bizarre, but the main thing that sticks out about this for me is the music. Cheesy pop all the way!
apocalyp.wad: Level design was iffy, simple architecture and pretty bad texturing, but E1M9 of this wad had a HUGE pit in it. It literally made me feel unwell :P
galaxia.wad: This wad just rules. Great combat, great design, great gameplay, and some psychadelic textures thrown in for good measure. Not to mention kick-ass music :)

These levels may not have the best design, or the best gameplay, but they really stick out in my mind because of what they did have. They were special, in a way. And they were all some of the first few Doom PWADs I ever played, meaning they hold a special significance for me. Go grab them - they're all in idgames.

idmap01.wad
Null Space
Aliens Tc
DOOMZ
Batman DOOM
City.wad
Knee Deep in the Deu
NIN.wad
Simpsons Tc
And many others...

I can't wait to see DOOM 64 Tc

UACDead, and that one that was supposed to be a remake of KDITD, and was very professional. AV was good too, though I only got to map 12 or so.

All of the above. Plus Icarus and Eternal were masterpieces of pre-source-release mapmaking tricks.

SP
Hell Revealed
Hell Revealed II
Alien Vendetta
World
Requiem
RTC-3057

MP
Dwango series
Dweller2
Boo
Judas23
Gothic series
Tnt series (TntBlood & Tntgrvnc & Tntpurst)
Xenosx9
UdM1
Technology Arena (my upcoming production, /me :grin:)

Memento Mori I
Memento Mori II
Hell Revealed I
Hell Revealed II
Darkening I
Darkening II
Requiem
Alien Vendetta
2002ado
Nimrod
DOOM3057 (not what i'm working on. The old one x-blade made)
Hell Factory
Vrack 1
Vrack 2
Vrack 3 (heh)

there are more, but i can't remember right now.

It's boring to cite the total conversions or megawads, damnit, we KNOW they're good. IMO some of the single maps out there have been even more fun than even those.

KK-Build.wad
airraid1.wad
antares.wad
fwater.wad
gloire.wad
thelord.wad

and many, many more...

pritch said:

KK-Build.wad
airraid1.wad
antares.wad
fwater.wad
gloire.wad
thelord.wad

I don't think I know any of those...could you link to them, please?

OI Maonth, most of them (if not all) will probably be on cdrom.com (or whatever it is, I don't care anymore).

ZarcyB said:

OI Maonth, most of them (if not all) will probably be on cdrom.com (or whatever it is, I don't care anymore).

oh ofcourse. I'll use doomsearch.

You mean you didn't have all the doom pwads ever made on your PC before that!!!

/me is ashamed at Maonth!

I will spank you in #zdoom

Brotherhood of Ruin, Nimrod, Alien Vendetta and Slayer are the ones that come to mind right now.

I liked Alien Vendetta as well. And for some reason, an old Doom1 wad sticks in my mind. It was called Dinner.wad...prolly nobody knows it but what the hey

EvisceratoR said:

I liked Alien Vendetta as well. And for some reason, an old Doom1 wad sticks in my mind. It was called Dinner.wad...prolly nobody knows it but what the hey

yea I know that wad. It's not too bad :)

yeah I have dinner.wad, damn good wad. I guess I have a soft spot for home-made single map pwads as a rule :)

supar1337.wad of course!

And now seriously, I had this wad on a cd I got called 'demon gate' it was called castle phobos or something like that, it was pretty cool. The imps were replaced by these black cloaked fellows that shot flaming skulls at me....
Hooters.wad also on the demon gate cd, pixelated pr0n in doom, genius :)
And there was one other wad, but I can't remember its name now, it basically replaced a bunch of sounds. When you killed a cyber it said "*ding* bring out your dead!" I played the hell out of that one. And Bastard.wad, the first doom wad I ever played, I really don't remember it all that well, but it was pretty good. Kind of a cramped space station living quarters kind of level.

YAKWORLD!
UACdead
Most of Enjay's levels
Tei Tenga
Twilight Warrior
Some Old Level (that's mine but it does stick out to myself :)

Fredrik said:

Vrack!"#1!

Bah.

heh. I forgot those. oops. There, added to the list above.

Some of the first wads I ever played still stick in my mind, and although plenty of better maps have since been released, I still have a fondness for them. They are:

- Nukemine: I think this was the first full episode replacement I ever played. It was also one of the first ever wads with lots of new textures. It still looks good (even though there are sky textures on walls) and plays extremely well.

- SudTiC: This was TiC's first release, and it's still a very cool wad, though their later stuff like ObTiC and their MM1/2 levels are definitely better. Having said that, their second wad, TeuTiC, wasn't as good IMHO.

- NJDoom1: This wad was one of the ones that inspired me to try making my own levels. While none of the levels were particularly breathtaking, there was just something about them that seemed very cool. What's more, the author (Nigel Rowand) is still in the community :)

Although it's generally the main colloquialism around here, I loved Aliens TC and Twilight Warrior.

For levels, Hoover.wad, Metro13.wad, Altier6.wad (although the second level in that package sucked), CalgonFX.wad, Icarus.wad, uac_dead.wad, and subway21.wad.

trinity.wad (old university map)
nulspace.wad
uac_dead.wad
Memento Mori 2 (not 1)
the Simpsons graphics replacement for Doom 2 (a replaced a few sounds with more recent ones)

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. I haven't played it in a long time.

Add-ons that stick out in my mind include...

DOOM:
uac_dead.wad - a classic that unfortunately does not work correctly at the end with most source ports

Aliens Doom TC - better than many professional games

alcatraz.wad - a nice themed level for Doom

kswood.wad - save a small town from demons; absolutely great gameplay

gather.wad - a classic that many ppl have played in one form or another

DOOM2:
artifact.wad - a brilliant set of levels from a TeamTNT member

thelord.wad - a mini-episode that will never leave my memories; my friends and i would play through these levels over and over and they will very challenging and expansive at times

WolfenDoom - 'nuff said

Memento Mori I
Alien Vendetta
Hell Revealed
Batman Doom
FC2.WAD (it's on D!ZONE[2?], I think). It's a wierd city level that I remember playing for some reason.
Lost Episodes of Doom
That tutorial level from the Alchemy book :p
FOXHOLE.WAD (D!ZONE[2?] again). Great deathmatch.