Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest FotH

Why doesn't anybody care about doom anymore?

Guest FotH

Is it just me or does anyone feel like the Doom community is dying and there is nothing we can do to save it?

It's like everything's been done... There's nothing new.

I feel like we need the "new Doom" soon, or a huge something, otherwise the community will gradually fade away.

What do you expect, really? Source ports with wacky new features can extend Doom's life, but only for so long. Sooner or later it'll die out, it's just a matter of when.

The source ports need to do something radical, something that hasn't been done before like adding support for 3d models like MD2s or something (has that been done?)

Another idea suggested was to have the ability to load images that aren't in wads (like .gif or .pcx) for the maximum in ease of use. Each image would have an independant 256 color palette and the source port would use 16-bit color.

EDGE sure has dropped a bombshell with it's ddf features and advanced level abilities, but it can't support the doom community by itself or even partially, and eventually it will fade in the wake of all the new technology out there.

Doom will have to throw itself back into the public scene and the move by ID soft. to make a "doom3" is an excellent way to do it. The risk still exists that if doom3 is a flop (not likely), doom might be banished from sight forever, never to return.

(Z)DoomGL, JDoom, and glLegacy all support 3D models as far as I know. The first two definitely do, the third may or may not.

I am not sure why at least palettized textures haven't been done in GL ports, I can see why there would be problems in software mode but I can't imagine that it would be a very big challenge to do it in hardware.

The 3D levels in EDGE are quite impressive, but I think it's going to have to be integrated into other ports before it makes a big splash. The 3D floor stuff has already been put into Doom Legacy or so I have heard, how far behind can ZDoom be?

It was the people for me, and doomnation going was the last straw.

Guest spacedog
Linguica said:

(Z)DoomGL, JDoom, and glLegacy all support 3D models as far as I know. The first two definitely do, the third may or may not.

I am not sure why at least palettized textures haven't been done in GL ports, I can see why there would be problems in software mode but I can't imagine that it would be a very big challenge to do it in hardware.

The 3D levels in EDGE are quite impressive, but I think it's going to have to be integrated into other ports before it makes a big splash. The 3D floor stuff has already been put into Doom Legacy or so I have heard, how far behind can ZDoom be?

Some of us still prefer doom because of it's lack of 3d models, that is i dont have a 3d card and i have no intention of getting one

Eh? In the past (over a year ago) I wasn't around the DOOM community. I just played SP for many years. Now I am playing even more, playing DM with people all around the world, and doing WADs. I don't know if it's benn much bigger or not, but it's not dead (It's more alive to me). And, yes if one likes DOOM, he'll further the DOOM community, but if he thinks it should be turned into another game to be playable, then he's killing it (I do not imply that adding features is bad, just some ways of doing it). It's simply easier (and more sensible) to qiut and work on another game, if you want another game. It is possible that the new DOOM may even boost the original's popularity (and sustain the community if not enlarge it).

Guest doomgod12345
spacedog said:

Some of us still prefer doom because of it's lack of 3d models, that is i dont have a 3d card and i have no intention of getting one

i know i too have seen the doom comunity dying but it will but not for a wile i am sure doom3 will give it a kick in the ass. and it will be something new. as for the ports i think the 3d mdl should be in both software and 3d. i also think we should make a port with all the best features of every other port and make it one

Bloody hell, I had like a really long post but my computer crashed...

People said that the Doom Community was dying last year, and the year before that... we're still here. When I read for example what Ricrob said in that recent Doom 3 article I get annoyed - shut the fuck up will you.

For me anyway, the Doom Community isn't something I take part in (try to anyway) just because I like Doom. It's probably more cause I like reading stuff from all the familiar faces.

It's the people that make the community. Anyway, there will always be Lüt and I, plus Team Insanity, so that's kind of a community...

Guest Psycho

a few points:

I will _always_ play doom as long as I have a computer that will run it. (same with my freinds)

When the new doom comes out, we might be regarded as some form of god (WOW! you were around when the shareware version was released? That was back in '93! I was two years old then!)

Just my 2 cents

Guest David A
spacedog said:

I, for one, detest playing with models in Doom. No matter how good they are, it's just not the same...

doomgod12345 said:

i also think we should make a port with all the best features of every other port and make it one

RHeit tried that with Zdoom and look what happened.

Actually you know, I think the Doom community is a little healthier now than when I got interested in it about a year ago. There seems to be more people in it, and some key breakthroughs (ie csDoom, Edge, RORDoom, JDoom) have been made. Some of the best wads and TC's ever have been released in the last year or so (Batman, Zan Zan, Skull Tag, Darkening E2 etc).
Ever since the announcement of another Doom game, interest in the originals and source ports has increased. Sure there has been a lot of infighting and general bitching but you see that in other communities too. Just take a gander at some of the Quake/Unreal message boards if you don't believe me. There's still several new things to download and try out in the /newstuff directory of cdrom.com every week.
Maybe when Doom3 comes out interest in the old Doom will die, but I expect the Doom community in it's present form will carry on quite nicely until then at least.

Guest redwarrior

There's still a large DOOM community, and there will always be one as long as the game is still enjoyable *grin*. Heck, it's lasted over 5 years, which's a pretty long time in my opinion. Because of it's great flexibility it's one of the most modifiable pieces of work out there. I'm a bit of a newcomer to the DOOM field online (my levels are awful and I'm terrible at DM) because of a technology lack but've played my PS port of Final DOOM to death (literally)! I was surprised to see the game was still so popular. Not everything that can be done has been (there's no anime DOOM, for example....). I believe the first DOOM games will be some of the more popular even after 3 comes out.... because they were great. Also because of its high compatablity. My computer's terrible with 3D and can run DOOM with no problem. I at least still love the game and its bizzare array of sprite enemies and varied level design. It'll still be able to hold its own for a long time to come..... and with the strong DOOM Comunity new things will surely come to surface.

I just noticed that the only thing people are saying when they say the community will die is that sometime in the not too distant future THEY will stop playing DOOM. They are not the voice of the DOOM community, they are at the edge of it already. And at IRC and csdoom i've been meeting people that are new to DOOM or are coming back to it...

Guest Nuno Correia
Teppic said:

RHeit tried that with Zdoom and look what happened.

You started saying it's lame.