Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest ragjunkie

doom 3 specs?

Guest ragjunkie

The target specs for doom 3 are so high! i have an average machine that runs my games well (quake 3 on 1028X1600 or whatever it is @ about 60fps) it is a p2 266 with 64 megs of ram and a 32mgb savage 4 (which i brought recently) but from the specs of the new doom there is no way i will be able to run it! has anyone else seen this and felt dissapointed?? i know i am. id should make the spec of it the same a q3 and why not use the q3 engine?? it would be perfect if they improved it abit

1. How do you know that a modified Q3 engine would be perfect? Carmack said, that the "visual WOW factor will be a greater jump than it was from the recent jumps between Quake/Quake2/Quake3". So they will use amazing new techniques to create great effects that you have never seen before.

2. Since ID is just beginning to develop D3, the specs are subject to change. All that was said is that probably 128 Megs of RAM will be required, and that Voodoo 3 won't be supported.

3. D3 will probably come out 2002. Don't you think you will upgrade your 266 MHz machine during the next two years?

linux version linux version linux version linux version linux version linux version linux version linux version linux version linux version linux version linux version linux version linux version linux version linux version linux version linux version woooo!

Guest Psycho

No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version

Psycho said:

No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version ........

What is Linux? What is Linux? What is linux? What is Linux?
What is Linux? What is Linux? What is linux? What is Linux?What is Linux? What is Linux? What is linux? What is Linux?What is Linux? What is Linux? What is linux? What is Linux?What is Linux? What is Linux? What is linux? What is Linux?What is Linux? What is Linux? What is linux? What is Linux?What is Linux? What is Linux? What is linux? What is Linux?What is Linux? What is Linux? What is linux? What is Linux?What is Linux? What is Linux? What is linux? What is Linux?

Guest spacedog

2 years? i got my pc 3years ago, and have been gradually upgrading it (1 bit at a time) from a 4Mb 486 with a 400Mb hard drive, i haven't a hope in hell of running the bastard unless a serious cash injection comes my way, anyway, they're just taking the piss. and as for linux? i wouldn't go as far as to say it sucks, but it does smell a bit (like old socks)

Psycho said:

No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version No Linux Version

Check your facts Check your facts Check your facts Check your facts etc.

Guest ragjunkie
TheProphet said:

1. How do you know that a modified Q3 engine would be perfect? Carmack said, that the "visual WOW factor will be a greater jump than it was from the recent jumps between Quake/Quake2/Quake3". So they will use amazing new techniques to create great effects that you have never seen before.

2. Since ID is just beginning to develop D3, the specs are subject to change. All that was said is that probably 128 Megs of RAM will be required, and that Voodoo 3 won't be supported.

3. D3 will probably come out 2002. Don't you think you will upgrade your 266 MHz machine during the next two years?

good point i will probably have a turbo super sex machine computer by 2002! ALSO SCREW the voodoo i have a savage 4 which is 32 mgb's and is most knarly! mind u in 2002 and two i will probably have a 128mgb graphics card

I don't mean to be a complete ass hole, but... -- well, ok, I do.... When DOOM came out - I could barely run it on my computer. It wasn't for over a year until I could actually play DOOM the way it was intended - and that's how we knew it was such a good game. All you pansy people who want to sacrifice quality in new games - especially new games as monumental as DOOM 3 - just so they will run on your old computers are... well... -- dumb and lack forsight. How are games to get better if they don't stretch the envelope? Do you now wish that id had made DOOM to run on a 286!?. I rejoiced when I found out 128 megs of ram was recommended. Because you know the game is going to be that much better. Sure, my celeron 300a/128mb/16mbTNT won't do. But it'll give me a very worth while execuse to upgrade my aging computer to match the times, which I'm going to need to do anyway... so what better reason to have then id. I'd much rather id Software be the reason we're needing to upgrade our computers than, say, Microsoft! Plus, with ever more memory demanding Operating Systems, id will be doing you a favor: you'll be glad you got 256mb of RAM - and so will Windows 98 and especially 2000.

Psycho said:

MacDoom3 MacDoom3 MacDoom3 MacDoom3 MacDoom3 MacDoom3 MacDoom3 MacDoom3 MacDoom3 MacDoom3 MacDoom3 MacDoom3 MacDoom3 MacDoom3 MacDoom3 MacDoom3 MacDoom3 MacDoom3 MacDoom3 MacDoom3 MacDoom3 MacDoom3 MacDoom3 MacDoom3 MacDoom3 MacDoom3 MacDoom3 MacDoom3 MacDoom3 MacDoom3

I hope the new engine will step away from the brush system of the quake engines, simply because it makes mapping a slow thing to do. Sometimes you have to sit for hours\days to wait for the map to get compiled and run in the game, it has to sort out so much bullshit data and stuff like that. Hopefully, the new engine will have some of the features in level-design that the unreal engine has, only without that fucking HORRIBLE editor, unrealed.
I havent read the specs, but from what i can see here on the thread, it doesn't look very good for me, so i'm gonna start saving up money to do some heavy upgrading when the game comes. If you're a true doom-freak with a bad computer like me, i suggest you do the same and stop whining, it won't get you anywhere.

/me goes looking for the doom3 specs everyone is talking about

Guest Kaopectate
Hellbent said:

I remember back when one of my old Might and Magic games required 640k of conventional memory...I had to wait FOREVER to play it..almost two years after it came out...I hope that DoomIII might take up 1.1 ghz since theres already that by now..we have two years to get brand new computers folks....i know that I'll have to...

Guest Psycho
fodders said:

What is Linux? What is Linux? What is linux? What is Linux?What is Linux? What is Linux? What is linux? What is Linux?What is Linux? What is Linux? What is linux? What is Linux?What is Linux? What i

A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS

It's minimum requirements had better be a 1 GHz P3 (or P4 maybe) with 768 MB RAM. That will probably be a little lower than average computer by the time the game comes out, and if not... it'll be just like in '93 when Doom came out.

spacedog said:

2 years? i got my pc 3years ago, and have been gradually upgrading it (1 bit at a time) from a 4Mb 486 with a 400Mb hard drive, i haven't a hope in hell of running the bastard unless a serious cash injection comes my way, anyway, they're just taking the piss. and as for linux? i wouldn't go as far as to say it sucks, but it does smell a bit (like old socks)

Heh, ill get some short job, and save enough money to buy a new computer. A good computer two years from now should still be $999 {$200 @ SGComp's minus harddrive & 3dcard} Besides, even if I dont by then, I'll simply just use my friends comp. hehe. {my web page is up; www.angelfire.com/mn2/bjkap }

Guest spacedog

what i'm saying, is that instead of making a big hog of a game that requires a turbo colled warp core and eats system resources like a hungry demon, they should try and make better games using the eisting resources, like in the old days. or like people still do with playstation games. i mean if you look at tekken and then at tekken3 the difference is unbelievable and nobody had to go and buy extra memory or a flashy 3d card for that.

Guest fraggle`
Psycho said:

A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS A CRAP SHAREWARE OS

no shareware is different. With shareware you can "try-before-you-buy" - ie. you try a limited version and buy it if you like it or after a trial period has expired. With linux everything is totally free and 90% of the programs are open source so you can fiddle with them if you are so-inclined.

I find linux is great, what do you have against it?

Guest Kaopectate
spacedog said:

what i'm saying, is that instead of making a big hog of a game that requires a turbo colled warp core and eats system resources like a hungry demon, they should try and make better games using the eisting resources, like in the old days. or like people still do with playstation games. i mean if you look at tekken and then at tekken3 the difference is unbelievable and nobody had to go and buy extra memory or a flashy 3d card for that.

I remember years ago great games like Elite and Alpha Waves that were incredible games with low use of resources....Alpha Waves was probably the best 3d game of its day..1990...