Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bad Luck Ranger

Shambler's in Doom?

In Doom2 there's an exiting message that says "Don't go now! There's an dimensional Shambler waiting in the explorer!"
Do you think it's talking about the same sort of Shambler from Quake?

Guest Int86x

When did doom2 ever display exiting messages. Only quake displayed those messages. Doom2 didn't display exit messages. What are you talking about? At least the original doom2 didn't

Doom and Doom2 have always displayed exit messages :P

Apparently its a reference-joke to Dungeons and Dragons. Incidentally, the name 'Quake' was either romero's or carmack's D&D roleplaying character I think. There are other such references throughout doom and quake.

If it is, then the id guys are either confused, or they made the monster up themselves, for I know no monster called thus. And I played that game for over 15 years. The closest thing I recall is "invisible stalker"

Hellbent said:

but of course! At least I've always thought that.

Maybe they had the idea of the Shambler for Doom but never used it? Ah well... I suppose this post will continues into a post that ends with loads of people arguing.

I believe that "dimensional shambler" is probably the idea of Sandy Petersen, who worked on Doom, Doom 2, and Quake. He created the tabletop RPG Call of Cthulu, which I think had a monster in it called a "Shambler."

Ahhh yes thats it! Call to Cthulu was a book by H.P.Lovecraft which has shamblers and weird tentacled and teethed thingies... its mentioned a lot in the doom novels..

Int86x said:

When did doom2 ever display exiting messages. Only quake displayed those messages. Doom2 didn't display exit messages. What are you talking about? At least the original doom2 didn't

You must drink A L O T of beer before playing doom m8, there's allways exit messages, phool =)