Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Erick20

Has anyone else seen this...

Guest Erick20

I'm having a little trouble with the normal DOOM game & Win98.

'Seems that when ever I play the game (from win98), it will play fine for about 2 minutes, then the sound will become choppy, and then finally, the game will freeze.

I think one of the possible causes is that I'm running an older version of the game...?

If anyone has had this trouble, please respond with any suggestions you may have! Thank you.

Guest T-N-T

Well, I upgraded my Doom to version 1.9 from Id Software's site and I started experiencing a lot of quirks. I really don't know what it is. I use Windows 98 also but I don't know what it could be. I generally use ZDooM and experience no problems at all, it's just when I want to play regular Doom that it screws up.

Just yesterday I upgraded Doom 1.9 to Ultimate Doom and I notice some choppy areas, especially when I save my progress. It shouldn't chop up like that because I have a Pentium III 450Mz. processor, 128Mb of RAM, plenty of space on my hard drive, and a nice video card...so I don't know anything.

i run all sorts of doom on win98, the only thing i have problems with is the OpenGL ports (i have a voodoo2).

if you haven't tried this, try:

hit the start button\run
type in command, press enter
hit alt+enter if it's not in fullscreen
type cd\doom2|doom2 (enter)

Try using setup.exe and set music card to 'general midi' instead of whatever else you use.

Apart from that, i don't know

may be wrong but I think dos version of old doom would only allow sound card IRQ up to #7 zdoom gets round this but pure original doom may still have this problem?

T-N-T said:

Well, I upgraded my Doom to version 1.9 from Id Software's site and I started experiencing a lot of quirks. I really don't know what it is. I use Windows 98 also but I don't know what it could be. I generally use ZDooM and experience no problems at all, it's just when I want to play regular Doom that it screws up.

Just yesterday I upgraded Doom 1.9 to Ultimate Doom and I notice some choppy areas, especially when I save my progress. It shouldn't chop up like that because I have a Pentium III 450Mz. processor, 128Mb of RAM, plenty of space on my hard drive, and a nice video card...so I don't know anything.

Seems like it could be soundcard problems to me. What kind of soundcard do you have. Try running regular Doom with the -nosound option and see if your problems go away.