Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest raw

megadrive vs snes

Guest raw

allrighT! time for the greatest pol ever! mega drive vs snes! I say mega dives are twenty thousand times better then snes, but hey, i'm generous. Super nintendoes arn't cool. and just cos snes got doom, don't mean its better.
oh, and those who haven't got destroyer's doomland, get it. It's pretty cool.remember: mario's fat!

Guest destROYer

ARRRGod this is TOTALLY irevelant but...SNES

Guest Sethsez

I've always been one to never go with the crowd, so....
Turbo-Grafix 16.

Guest David_A

The NES owns them both.

pfft megadrive and snes shouldnt fight, they should hold hand in hand knowing that together they are far better than the modern day console shit. I went out and bought a SNES with Zelda because it was cheaper than a new N64 game and far far better.

I used to own a megadrive back in the old days. Looking back now, with my current tastes I'd say the SNES was better though. But I preferred the megadrive for Sonic 1 back then.

Didnt like sonic's sequels much... specially that dreamcast shit.

Guest T-N-T

The SNES kicks everyone's ass because of all of the legendary "Role-playing games" that came out for it...plain as that.

Titles like Final Fantasy 3, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, and Chrono Trigger all contributed to the SNES popularity.

Most people haven't even heard of Megadrive :)

Guest spacedog
destROYer said:

ARRRGod this is TOTALLY irevelant but...SNES

The snes has more colours and better sounds but NOT the extra speed needed to handle them properly, however mode 7 was pretty groovy but nintendo sucks, they even took the nazis out of wolfenstein. So they're actually pretty even, the snes joypad was better and doom for the snes sucks Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad,

T-N-T said:

The SNES kicks everyone's ass because of all of the legendary "Role-playing games" that came out for it...plain as that.

Titles like Final Fantasy 3, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, and Chrono Trigger all contributed to the SNES popularity.

Yes, the snes did have more, better, RPGs than the genesis. However, the genesis did have it's share of classics: The Phantasy Star and Shining Force series come to mind. Any true RPG fan had to have both systems.

BTW Megadrive = Genesis.

T-N-T said:

I am the only one I know that thinks that Chrono Trigger is better than FF3 (if yet barely). Do you know what gets released in about ten days here in Sweden? Chrono Cross, the sequel to Chrono Trigger. *DROOOOL* :)

Stphrz said:

Yes, the snes did have more, better, RPGs than the genesis. However, the genesis did have it's share of classics: The Phantasy Star and Shining Force series come to mind. Any true RPG fan had to have both systems.

BTW Megadrive = Genesis.

Haha, all those pitiful cartridge-system RPGs blew. Ever hear of Lunar and Lunar 2, Sega CD? I rate each of those above Doom. Even today (though I don't play them anymore because of the big input of time they require) they are still my two favorite games. Period. I don't think anything will ever top those. Vay is pretty decent too (all by the same company, Working Designs.)

spacedog said:

The snes has more colours and better sounds but NOT the extra speed needed to handle them properly, however mode 7 was pretty groovy but nintendo sucks, they even took the nazis out of wolfenstein. So they're actually pretty even, the snes joypad was better and doom for the snes sucks Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad,

more colors... yes, better sound ... depends, let me explain.....

well, in terms of hardware, genesis is probably better, although fewer colors it has *way* larger sprites, and speed which snes only could dream of (in japan were snes was designed, a majority of the gamers played only rpg's so the tecnicans figured that a faster processor wasn't needed, sadly that limited even the mode7's performance..)

in terms of sound, snes uses a *very* limited wave table synthezis method, delivering crisp digital sound, however its very limited (8 digital channels which can play *severely* compressed audio at 16bit, each sound is *even* limited to 65kb in size..)

genesis however has a yamaha fm chip which actually is a syntheziser, i think it has about fm 9 channels, and one digital.

now, in theory fm sounds have unlimited sample resolution as well as "sampled" frequency (as fm is analogue)... but then fm sounds always like fm, some people love it some don't. anyways fm sounds artificial.

note here that on most old (like sb16) soundcards doom2.exe and doom.exe uses fm for it's music... ;o)

I've only experienced genesis through various emulators, but my choice is very easy, i'd choose genesis any day... :o)

sega found out very soon that it's potential clients vere about 13 and older so games are mostly more "mature" that the snes with it's mario paint and other children friendly titles...

(i could babble about this for ages but i think this will do ;o)

Lüt said:

Haha, all those pitiful cartridge-system RPGs blew. Ever hear of Lunar and Lunar 2, Sega CD? I rate each of those above Doom. Even today (though I don't play them anymore because of the big input of time they require) they are still my two favorite games. Period. I don't think anything will ever top those. Vay is pretty decent too (all by the same company, Working Designs.)

Whoo-Hoo!!! =) Somebody else who loves those games!! Man, I must have played through all three of them about five times each. I don't include them in the comparison because they are, like you said for the Sega CD, which is a different system in my view.

Guest T-N-T

I bought Lunar for the playstation a while back when they released it on that but I thought it was kind of geared toward children. I didn't like it that much and wound up wasting about 60 dollars :)

Guest T-N-T
Grul said:

I am the only one I know that thinks that Chrono Trigger is better than FF3 (if yet barely). Do you know what gets released in about ten days here in Sweden? Chrono Cross, the sequel to Chrono Trigger. *DROOOOL* :)

Oh yeah, Chrono Cross is gonna rock!