Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Wildman

Zed-Doom?

ZDoom can't be "zed-doom". They would require it to be spelled ZDDoom (zed doom). Since it is spelled ZDoom, it has to be "zee-doom".

Erm Brits and Canadians pronounce Z 'zed' as appose to 'zee', and we all think 'zed-doom', I can't see why it can't be the case.

Teppic said:

Erm Brits and Canadians pronounce Z 'zed' as appose to 'zee', and we all think 'zed-doom', I can't see why it can't be the case.

Absolutely!!! "Zee-Doom" is just plain gay :) Damn Americans :P

Zed? There's no D in Z, as you can plainly see: Z <-- See? Note the lack of a D tacked on to the end :P

Guest David_A
Teppic said:

Randy Heit is a Yank, so he would obviously pronounce it Zee-Doom, now wouldn't he? (Unless he's a horrid freak of nature).

Lüt said:

Zed? There's no D in Z, as you can plainly see: Z &lt;-- See? Note the lack of a D tacked on to the end :P

websters "Pronunciation: 'zE, Canadian, British, & Australian 'zed"
and I notice no E as you can plainly see: Z &lt;-- See? Note the lack of a E tacked on to the end :P We will have to settle for "zuhdoom"

Stphrz said:

Absolutely!!! "Zee-Doom" is just plain gay :) Damn Americans :P

Now, you see why we told the King to take a hike. Them folks across da' pond ain't gotta clue on how ta' speak good english. :)

fodders said:

websters "Pronunciation: 'zE, Canadian, British, & Australian 'zed"
and I notice no E as you can plainly see: Z &lt;-- See? Note the lack of a E tacked on to the end :P We will have to settle for "zuhdoom"

Yay! Fod to the rescue! Saved from the evil Lüt :)

Guest OutAxDx

Zed sounds stupid.

How in the world do you say Zoo?

Zedoo?

"LETS GO TO THE ZEEEEEDOOOOOOO!!!!"

Or the nice sound effect word, Zap.

Zedap?

No no no... Candadians and Brits got it all wrong. You see, we use Zee because it works better, and sounds better. You guys sound all odd anyways. Can't seem to pronounce your R's? Why not just remove R from the alphabet if you aren't gonna say it.

example: Were = wuh

(if you don't get that example, say 'were' out loud in an english accent)

Lüt said:

Zed? There's no D in Z, as you can plainly see: Z &lt;-- See? Note the lack of a D tacked on to the end :P

*rotfl* I like this post

Guest SlayeR
OutAxDx said:

Zed sounds stupid.

Zedoo?

Zedap?

No no no... Candadians and Brits got it all wrong. You see, we use Zee because it works better, and sounds better. You guys sound all odd anyways. Can't seem to pronounce your R's? Why not just remove R from the alphabet if you aren't gonna say it.

Man, I never noticed that, now I just realised that I don't say my r's properly...

PS:
I'm Australian.

OutAxDx said:

Zed sounds stupid.

Zedoo?

Zedap?

No, we say zoo. Most letters on their own are pronounced differently than when they are placed in a work, for example, h="atch" and "huh", a="ay" and "ah", etc.

Do Americans say "zeebra" for zebra? Or "zeeackary" for "zackary"? Or indeed, "zeeoo" for "zoo" or "zeeap" for "zap"? No.

update: okay, I guess you do say "zeebra". Fools :)

Lüt said:

I don't see any e's either :P

OutAxDx said:

Zed sounds stupid.

Zedoo?

Zedap?

Theres no such thing as an english accent you fool. Is there an american accent? or is it a georgian accent, southern accent, etc. etc. JINGO I SAY!

I for example have a light geordie accent yet I still pronounce it 'weir' rather than 'wuh'.

/me thinks this guy has watched too much kevin the teenager

David_A said:

Randy Heit is a Yank, so he would obviously pronounce it Zee-Doom, now wouldn't he? (Unless he's a horrid freak of nature).

Who said Randy Heit was right? :P

Definately Zed, I also pronounce jDoom jay-Doom, not Juh or Jee or whatever dumbass american way it's done, inbreeds.

OutAxDx said:

Can't seem to pronounce your R's? Why not just remove R from the alphabet if you aren't gonna say it.

Sure we will remove the R, you seem to have forgotten theres a U, coloUr honoUr neighboUr ad infinitum
p.s. pay your back taxes and we will let you back in the commonwealth :) well, taxes AND pay for all that tea you dumped in the harboUr without paying for 1st :

visit http://www.m-w.com/pronguid.htm for a guide on how to speak :)

Guest David_A
Teppic said:

Theres no such thing as an english accent you fool. Is there an american accent? or is it a georgian accent, southern accent, etc. etc. JINGO I SAY!

I for example have a light geordie accent yet I still pronounce it 'weir' rather than 'wuh'.

Of course there's a generic American accent!! People can't tell what part of the country I'm from because I lived in so many different parts that one dialect never really took over (and they never guess Sweden, anyway:).

On the other hand, any Swedish person who heard me speak Swedish would instantly know I was from the south. That's what happens when you've only lived in one part of a country... In Sweden we have a term for proper, region-independant pronounciation: Riks Svenska.

Guest David_A
NiGHTMARE said:

No, we say zoo. Most letters on their own are pronounced differently than when they are placed in a work, for example, h="atch" and "huh", a="ay" and "ah", etc.

Do Americans say "zeebra" for zebra? Or "zeeackary" for "zackary"? Or indeed, "zeeoo" for "zoo" or "zeeap" for "zap"? No.

update: okay, I guess you do say "zeebra". Fools :)

I pronounce it closer to "zeebra" than "sebra," if that's what you're asking...

Teppic said:

Exactly. There's geordie, brummie/liverpudlian, whatever the hell people from yorkshire speak, whatever it is people from lancashire and lincolnshire speak, RP, cockney, cornish, and the weird half-cockney accent that us people from hampshire and surrey use. And several others too.

David_A said:

Of course there's a generic American accent!! People can't tell what part of the country I'm from because I lived in so many different parts that one dialect never really took over (and they never guess Sweden, anyway:).

On the other hand, any Swedish person who heard me speak Swedish would instantly know I was from the south. That's what happens when you've only lived in one part of a country... In Sweden we have a term for proper, region-independant pronounciation: Riks Svenska.

Rednecks, texans, new yorkers, etc all sound a whole lot different to my ears, and I'm not even American.

Wildman said:

Now, you see why we told the King to take a hike. Them folks across da' pond ain't gotta clue on how ta' speak good english. :)

Excuse me, are you lecturing the people who invented the language about how they spell or pronounce it?

For instance, colour was always "colour", but because the Americans wanted to rebel against the language (who knows why?) they started spelling it "color". Every country in the world considers "colour" to be correct except the US, and Canada which considers both to be correct, officially.

It's not because I'm a Canadian that I side with the British on this one. It's because they naturally are correct if they invented the language.

I have not heard any reasonable argument ever why the American way is better.

Hyena said:

Excuse me, are you lecturing the people who invented the language about how they spell or pronounce it?

For instance, colour was always "colour", but because the Americans wanted to rebel against the language (who knows why?) they started spelling it "color". Every country in the world considers "colour" to be correct except the US, and Canada which considers both to be correct, officially.

It's not because I'm a Canadian that I side with the British on this one. It's because they naturally are correct if they invented the language.

I have not heard any reasonable argument ever why the American way is better.

Actually I hate to rebel against my kin but, the americans are using english as it was when we colonised america, they simply haven't updated the language with the times. Indeed we used to say color etc. but I'm not sure about 'zee'...

English in Britain and America (and to an extent Canada and Australia/New Zealand as well) have taken different "evolutionary paths" since America seperated itself from Britain.

It is quite possible that in a thousand years time there might be a seperate language called "American" that is quite different than English, after all, look at how much English has changed in the previous thousand years (try reading the Canterbury Tales or even Shakespeare )

Guest David_A
NiGHTMARE said:

Rednecks, texans, new yorkers, etc all sound a whole lot different to my ears, and I'm not even American.

A lot of the western states have the generic US dialect (California, Oregon, Washington, etc). The South and New England are both pretty extreme for some reason (I guess because people have lived there longer).

Guest David_A
Teppic said:

Actually I hate to rebel against my kin but, the americans are using english as it was when we colonised america, they simply haven't updated the language with the times. Indeed we used to say color etc. but I'm not sure about 'zee'...

Why on earth would you change it from color to colour? There's no U sound in that word!!

And what's with "centre?" You pronounce it cent-err, not cent-re, so what's with the weird spelling?

Guest Sir_Fragsalot

It's "Zed-Doom" because the character "Z" is supposed to be pronounced "Zed", NOT "ZEE". I've spent lots of time trying to trace back the American deviance in spelling (color vs. colour, armor vs. armour, etc.) and I think that the first record of this change was when Webster published his dictionary. Take a look at it; there's lots of weirdness in the way he spelled things. On the other hand, English literature had its own weird spelling prior to about 1700, just look at anything. I recommend the "Oxford Book of English Verse" if you want to see how weird spelling got, after all, they didn't teach spelling in school. You spelled things the way you felt like. But, for the last time, ITS ZED, NOT ZEE, ZED!!!!1