Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dima

3dtextures what for?

Well a 2D texture is what you are used to, a picture painted onto a flat wall, or in some cases a sculpted wall etc. 3D textures are where the details on the textures have additional depth, e.g. rivets are risen, panels sunken etc. and things like that.

I know what r 3dtextures but there is some special technique just got supported in Ati Radeon it's called 3dtextures I would like to know what will they give to Carmack's Next Engine!

bump maps are currently used in games like SOF to provide increased surface detail without the need for more polgons, eg to give bullet holes depth and wood a noticeable grain (raised out of the wall). This is done with by layering multiple textures (maps).

3D textures provide detail within a polygon, eg if you sever an arm you will see the flesh and bone thats perticular to that part of the arm, you wont have to make the arm from hundreds of separate poly's just in case it gets hit. This method of course is memory intensive, and if i remember rightly Nvidia has a patent on the compression technology behind it.

You dont need to use 3d textures, 'die by the sword' had a very good system where you could slice your opponent at any angle and still get a good effect.

Ok but one more thing if Carmack includes in his NEXT ENGINE 3dtextures will it be good?

Guest spacedog
Dima said:

I know what r 3dtextures but there is some special technique just got supported in Ati Radeon it's called 3dtextures I would like to know what will they give to Carmack's Next Engine!

you just said "i know what 3d textures are, but what are 3d textures"

Dima said:

Ok but one more thing if Carmack includes in his NEXT ENGINE 3dtextures will it be good?

I think it would be wicked