Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

spart.par

when cleaning out my DOS system i deleted everything in my windows folder. windows was not working one bit so i decided to reinstall. well when i tried to remove the windows directory i got a cant remove directory message. so i looked in it to find this file spart.par, i tried deleting the damn thing but it said access denied. i am thinking this is a virus of some sort. come on what in the hell is a *.par file and what is spart.par got to do with anything. anyway if this is a virus can someone tell me how to get rid of it. windows 3.11 would not boot at all, so it must affect win 3.11

First of all, it's not a virus, and you really don't want to remove it anyway. This is what I found:

Q: I recently installed Windows on my PC and noticed two files, SPART.PAR, a 286 byte file in
my Windows subdirectory, and a hidden file called 386SPART.PAR. What are these files?

A: SPART.PAR and 386SPART.PAR are both hidden, write-protected permanent Windows swap files
that cannot be deleted, moved, or renamed. Swap files reserve space on the hard disk for Windows to use
for swapping information from memory. When you're running Windows in 386 enhanced mode and get low
on memory, Windows compensates by swapping information from memory to a swap file on your hard
disk.

Drop to DOS and deltee the fuckers, if you still struggle, type attrib to see if it's hidden or read only , have to type attrib -h etc to remove hidden attribute, attrib -r to remove read only aspect. Deleting a swap fiel is safe, windows re-creates it when you boot into windows. Deltree Spart.par should clean it out.

yea after i posted i realized it was most like a swap file, must be a win3.11 thing cause i have never seen it in win95 or win98. however it WAS infected with an NYB3 virus, a older virus that is for win3.1. anyway after toying with the virus removale program i was able to get rid of the virus and file, now i can install windows agian