Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Vorpal

any keyboarders out there?

I'm sick of all these mousers! With their quick-turning and good aim crap, heh. Curious if any zdoomers would like to have a match. Fellow keyboarders that is. I live in central Massachusetts USA, but with a 56k connection.

Guest destROYer

perhaps YOU should try using a mouse....

Why would anybody possibly use a mouse with Doom? That's probably the most pointless feature they could have included in the game.

Guest ZarcyB

I play Doom with keyboard cos its hard with the mouse. But i play Quake (III) and Unreal (tournament) with mouse and I am quite good :)

What are you saying? Why do you think it's harder to use the mouse in doom than in q3 or ut? WHY?!!!

What you say doesn't make sense. Elaborate.

Yes!

er,im not gonna deathmatch joo but i do use the keyboard for doom-its the ONLY way!,mouse control is for ut and half life (which i do play as well,using the mouse!)

Guest Sir_Fragsalot
Lüt said:

Why would anybody possibly use a mouse with Doom? That's probably the most pointless feature they could have included in the game.

Yeah, I use a mouse in Doom. But only with ZDoom, where they allowed mouselook. Otherwise it's useless.

Lüt said:

I'd guess the best Deathmatchers are mousers, and the best demo-runners are keyboarders.

Guest PainoMan
Sir_Fragsalot said:

Yeah, I use a mouse in Doom. But only with ZDoom, where they allowed mouselook. Otherwise it's useless.

I have always played all FPS games with a joystick. Granted that generally means I completely suck in deathmatch, but I don't play deathmatch. Most of the time I find it intensly boring. The exception is playing deathmatch with Hexen. Going after somebody with Wraithverge was just too much fun! I might get into a Team Fortress type of thing, but I just don't really have the time.

I really play for the single player experience. The experience of becoming something and somebody else. When Doom first arrived, it was the first game for me that really sucked you in and took away the boundries.

To me, the joystick is a natural extenstion of my hand and thus, the hand onscreen. Playing with the keyboard breaks the suspension of disbelief.

It is an unfortunate truth that keyboarders and mousers make the best deathmatch players, but that's not saying much to me.

Teppic said:

I'd guess the best Deathmatchers are mousers, and the best demo-runners are keyboarders.

I loved those old Ultimate Doom demos by Yonatan Donner
when he was still using the keyboard only. They have an elegance and grace about them that to this day is unmatched by any recordings made by a mouser. I use the mouse myself, but I sure like watching keyboarders play.

Mice allow much greater reaction times than keyboards. I generally tend to use both, mouse for firing and turning, and keyboard for forwards/backwards and use (and jump in ports that support it).

This weird way is just a drawback of being used to mouselook, but I don't use mouselook in ZDoom because it sucks :)

Guest krpeters

I play with just the keyboard, because I find
that it does the job more than adequately.
Strafing is just fine for aiming, and I can
do a wicked backpedal while I spin which
effectively increases my turnaround speed.
Besides, I don't deathmatch, because at 33.6kbps,
it's a hopeless situation. 350ms pings are
just impossible to deal with.

I use mouse+keyboard and this is what my setup is:

Mouse:
1st button = fire (duh!)
2nd button = *Both* Use, and strafe
(well, zdoom doesn't let me put both onthe same buttonand it pisses me off, strafe is of more importance though so it's on there)

Keyboard:
Left keyboard buttons alone except jump is now the "A" key (old habit from playing duke3d).

---I never use the mouse for move forward/backward, instead it is always on freelook, this is for aiming purposes.
---I only use the directional keys to rotate to the General Direction of the opponent, I use the mouse to actually target them.
---Directional keys and mouse button 2 are used for movements since I can shoot while evading + with great accuracy. Strafe is used HIGHLY, even in places where it's not needed - to cut down on movement time usually.
---Autorun is always on

With this setup I can beat almost anyone just short of an advanced "clan" member (like the "zou" or "FK" clan). I have been the destroyer of many on doomserv, only a few can resist me... as I *am* a beginner at deathmatch (but practicially a pro at SP).

***Notice to all keyboarders:

"I hereby challenge all keyboarders who think they're worth a damn to a DM game with me".

We will play a series of 3 games, with a "popular" level set of my choice (probably dwango7.wad or normal doom2 levels), using the "Zdoom" v1.22 engine.

If you trounce the average, and still use keyboard only compared to my key+mouse (I will not stoop to the keyboarding level...), then I stand corrected and will form a new respect for all keyboarders.

(and by the way, I don't quick-turn, I turn and go backwards at the same time - much more effective and useful)

I cannot play doom even in SP without the mouse, this is because my reacion time goes "all-to-shit". I am not able to take full advantage of my hand-eye coordination when using keyboard only (NTM, I never got skilled with the keyboard-only because i've always had a mouse to boost my gaming skill).

Well in Halflife, which I play in DM the most, I use the arrow keys for movement (i.e. forward backwards, and strafe) plus the little keys for buying in CS, or skills in TFC, etc. Mouse1 is fire, Mouse2 is jump and Mouse3 is alt fire. Keypad '0' is my crouch key, but I rarely crouch so thats ok. Shift is currently walk (as appose to always run) but I plan on modifying it so that it toggles on and off autorun, or similar (so I can switch between modes rather than hold it down). Likewise with the crouch key.

PainoMan said:

I have always played all FPS games with a joystick. Granted that generally means I completely suck in deathmatch, but I don't play deathmatch. Most of the time I find it intensly boring. The exception is playing deathmatch with Hexen. Going after somebody with Wraithverge was just too much fun! I might get into a Team Fortress type of thing, but I just don't really have the time.

I really play for the single player experience. The experience of becoming something and somebody else. When Doom first arrived, it was the first game for me that really sucked you in and took away the boundries.

To me, the joystick is a natural extenstion of my hand and thus, the hand onscreen. Playing with the keyboard breaks the suspension of disbelief.

It is an unfortunate truth that keyboarders and mousers make the best deathmatch players, but that's not saying much to me.

Hmm... more people who just sit around and play with thier joysticks!

XD

Guest Erick20

I started out with the keyboard, but when I started to do some serious death matching I decided to make the switch to kb/mouse. I found that I could turn 180 degrees with the twitch of the wrist and therfore increased my kill figures (and my survival chances) by ten fold.

I've got to hand you some respect for staying strictly to the keys, but you really don't know what you're missing.

Guest ZarcyB
Myk said:

What are you saying? Why do you think it's harder to use the mouse in doom than in q3 or ut? WHY?!!!

What you say doesn't make sense. Elaborate.

In the original Doom when you move the mouse up it moves you forward which I find real annoying. It's better in UT and Q3A cos when u move the mouse up it looks up which is better. lol