Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
KinkaJoy

Fitting all the 10-sector levels into 1 WAD?

You know, it is possible to have more than 32 levels in one WAD. With the EDGE source port, if you type IDCLEV, it pops up an input box asking which level to go to (i.e. "E1M1" "MAP01") Theoretically (I haven't tested this yet) you could have a level with a lump named "POOPHEAD" and you could warp to the level POOPHEAD with EDGE. Likewise, you could put all the entries to the 10-sector contest into one megawad with the lumps renamed, going from MAP01 to MAP1##.
That might violate the rule/principle of having it be compatible with all BOOM source ports, but if not that, you could probably fit them all in it using a Dehacked patch.
OR, you can put them into seperate megawads. Or (the worst option IMHO) use only the 32 best levels, but I'd really hate to see so many peoples' hard work get wasted.
Just my 1½¢.

Yes, ZDoom and SMMU also support the ability to have potentially millions of levels in the same WAD, but the compo is for Boom, and there is no way of having more than 32 maps in that, as Doom crashes because there's no valid music (actually, you can have maps replacing maps 33 through 35, if you warp to them and don't mind them using the title/readme/intermission music).

Anyway, I think what is going to happen is that the best 32 will be in one megaWAD, and the others will be made available for download seperately. If not, I'm sure that people will released their levels themselves.

One megawad for the best, then separate megawads for the rest grouped by theme, would be a good solution IMHO.