Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest spacedog

Spider mastermind model?

Guest spacedog

Has anbody else noticed the strange variance in colour on the spider-demons legs, it's exactly like the stripey effect you get when you take a still frame from a video image. This would suggest that somebodt somewhere has a model of the spider mastermind (possibly just part of it, 'cos the brain looks drawn)
or am i going mad?

Guest destROYer

Yeah!
I noticed that too
and on the mancubus's guns

Guest Epiphany

The Spider Mastermind, like many of the Doom sprites began as photographs of handmade models so its likely that what you have seen is true.

Yes, they used clay/plastic/latex/metal models to do that.

I prefer that way, WAY over 3d models because something real just looks real, and most 3d models look too clean (like cyberdemon on doom64... too clean).

Digitized characters look the best.

I don't think the imps were models tough... (they were real imps, hehehe :)

I think they actually cut romero's head off for the last boss too. They have to put his head back on from time to time so people don't start suspecting (ah ha! but im smarter than that)

sirgalahadwizar said:

Yes, they used clay/plastic/latex/metal models to do that.

I prefer that way, WAY over 3d models because something real just looks real, and most 3d models look too clean (like cyberdemon on doom64... too clean).

Digitized characters look the best.

I don't think the imps were models tough... (they were real imps, hehehe :)

Doom64 doesn't use 3D models, it uses sprites just like the original. They're just better drawn.

sirgalahadwizar said:

I think they actually cut romero's head off for the last boss too. They have to put his head back on from time to time so people don't start suspecting (ah ha! but im smarter than that)

I want to know:

a) which enemies used models (I'm guessing arch vile, cyberdemon, spider mastermind, and possibly mancubus)

b) how big the models were

c) if the guys at Id took any pictures of themselves posing the models or anything (hint hint, good POTD if anyone finds such a picture)

and d) If they still exist, and where they are now.

And, yeah, they really cut off Romero's head. And the Commander Keens in MAP32 are photographs of the real Commander Keen.

Guest Nuno Correia
Epiphany said:

The Spider Mastermind, like many of the Doom sprites began as photographs of handmade models so its likely that what you have seen is true.

Check out Rise Of The Triad. Almost all sprites were digitized.

Megalyth said:

Doom64 doesn't use 3D models, it uses sprites just like the original. They're just better drawn.

no, were not talking about in-game 3d models!

for doom (pc version) they made physical models (clay, latex, metal, etc...)

for doom64 they made computer 3D models and rendered pictures for the nessicary angles

...3D computer generate models will NEVER be as detailed or realistic looking than actual *physical* models.

so, in my opinion, someof the gfx in doom64 are better... but definatly not the monsters! (except for the pain elemental or arachnotron... the only ones from doom64 I like)

KinkaJoy said:

I want to know:

a) which enemies used models (I'm guessing arch vile, cyberdemon, spider mastermind, and possibly mancubus)

b) how big the models were

c) if the guys at Id took any pictures of themselves posing the models or anything (hint hint, good POTD if anyone finds such a picture)

and d) If they still exist, and where they are now.

And, yeah, they really cut off Romero's head. And the Commander Keens in MAP32 are photographs of the real Commander Keen.

Archvile
Spider Mastermind
Cyberdemon
Revenant
Mancubus
Romero's Head (I think)
Demon (I think)
Spectre (ditto)

Possible Actors (paid people):
zombieman
seargeant
chaingun seargeant
player marine (could be a *very* detailed model)

Known Handdrawn:
Imps (too "clean")