Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ReX

Just curious ....

A couple of weeks ago, as a prelude to releasing a set of levels, I posted a 2-part message on the "Levels" forum. It was the story-line for the levels [see Paranoia (Part 1) and (Part 2)]. The story is about this demented military scientist that has been convicted of murder, and is plotting his escape and revenge. The story was supposed to set the stage for, and lead up nicely, into the levels. There were no comments to the 2 posts. So here are my questions:

1. Should level-designers bother with elaborate story lines, or with a story at all (even if the story ties in well with the levels)?

2. In DooM you played an essentially good guy, a hero who is on a mission to save mankind. In Paranoia you play an essentially evil guy, who by his own admission has murdered someone. Not that this would make any difference to gameplay, but does playing the role of a bad guy change your attitude? (Sort of like Caleb in Blood, which I thought was a spooky and excellent game. I only played the shareware of Blood 2, and it was not as spooky.)

Well, I'm reading the stories most times... after I played the levels. I think you can make a good storie, as long as it goes on the the levels (i.e. using scripting).
Playing an evil guy in DooM is something different, but actually makes no big difference :)
Oh, and Blood2 rules (especially in DM)

I almost never play a wad that doesn't have a story, except if the wad is HIGHLY recomended. It all roots back to when I read the story in one wad, and actually felt like I had a purpose in it. It was a warm, tingly feeling... ok, so it was 3 in the morning, and I was about to pass out, but I still think it was the story.

=^)

Test-0

Guest spacedog
boris said:

Well, I'm reading the stories most times... after I played the levels. I think you can make a good storie, as long as it goes on the the levels (i.e. using scripting).
Playing an evil guy in DooM is something different, but actually makes no big difference :)
Oh, and Blood2 rules (especially in DM)

I think a little bit of background always helps, just to set the scene so you know where you are when you start
"what the hell is this, a spaceship? a building? the intestinal tract of a dead whale?"
If a level has been designed well, a back story may give you a reasonable idea of what sort of nastiness to expect when you start the level.
It's nice but not necessary

Write a story if you want to, but don't base the level too much around it. Many would-be excellent levels have been wrecked just because they centered too much around the story. ALWAYS focus on direct gameplay and not on looks or story. They are always secondary.

Stories are a great way to inform the player of why stuff is like it is. Maps with stories just make more sence.... But i agree that you should allways focus mainly on the gameplay!